Author Topic: How to slim down and tweak (kill) your Windows XP installation  (Read 216739 times)

soyabeaner

Re: How to slim down (kill) your Windows XP installation
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:36 AM »
hehe.  You have to achieve the correct balance.  I have no errors in my Event Log.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
hehe.  You have to achieve the correct balance.  I have no errors in my Event Log.

Would you say that errors written to the event log is bad for the performance, or just bad for peace of mind?

This is the only error I get in the event log, over and over again:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Any idea? (yes, DCOM Server Process Launcher service is running)

LA

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:49 PM »
BTW, now I've seen how much .NET Framework 2.0 "unslims" the WINDOWS folder. The size went from 348 MB to 529 MB... :o :o :o

(don't worry, I only installed .NET in order to use nLite - gonna make a new CD and reinstall Windows soon)

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
Would you say that errors written to the event log is bad for the performance, or just bad for peace of mind?
Technically, both, but by performance-wise, it'd be no different than one of your Windows log being updated from time to time.  So realistically there is no performance decrease.  I'd just thought you're being clean-obssessed, that this would be bother you (or so my attempt at it goes ;D).  Remember system32\config?  That's where the event log and important files (i.e. your registry) that are constantly in use are located.

This is the only error I get in the event log, over and over again:

Any idea? (yes, DCOM Server Process Launcher service is running)

LA
Probably related to other services that you disabled.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:06:07 PM by Soyabeaner »

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 08:54:32 PM »
OK. :-\

By the way, here I sit on a brand new installation (the nLite'd ISO is actually 200,000 KB, LOL). I've had problems with the CD/DVD device (not yet on the new nLite CD, but very lately on the old one - it's a long and a strange story but it's not related to the thrashing of the system32 folder). It seems to work now. And the best part, without doing much to the system32 folder, it now has the size of 312 MB (folders and files) / 233 MB (files). :-TU

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
It seems to work now.
Are you surrrrre?  If it's a hardware problem then you are nearing the point of throwing the drive out the window.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 05:57:13 AM »
Are you surrrrre?  If it's a hardware problem then you are nearing the point of throwing the drive out the window.

LOL, that's true. But here's the thing:

Created an nLite CD on April the 25th ("nLite25") and have used it since then, until yesterday (May the 20th). During the final hours of this CD's life, the hardware stopped working. Seems to have happened after installing .NET Framework. :(

And why did I install .NET? Because I made a new nLite CD yesterday ("nLite20-a"). Now, to be able to burn this CD, I had to reinstall nLite25. So I did that. Then, when booting to nLite20-a, this CD didn't work at all (because I removed the wrong CPU driver, LOL!). So still on nLit25, I had to install .NET again and make a new nLite CD - "nLite20b". But guess what? My completely new (non-trashed, except for .NET) nLite25 now refuses to burn nLite20-b! So ONCE AGAIN I installed nLite25, without .NET, only to burn nLite20-b. Luckily it worked. And then I finally installed nLite20-b, which I'll use now. Summary; number of reformats yesterday evening: 3.

What really strikes me is that a fully functional OS (nLite25) refuses to burn a CD after I installed .NET and nLite itself. Wish I knew more of what "killed" my CD/DVD functionality. It certainly wasn't any cleanup in the system32 folder...

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
Let me guess: you used previously installed .NET v2 and now since you love keeping everything updated to the latest version (except Vista), .NET v3 ruined it?

This part is confusing.  How did nLite work without .NET?
So ONCE AGAIN I installed nLite25, without .NET, only to burn nLite20-b. Luckily it worked.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
Let me guess: you used previously installed .NET v2 and now since you love keeping everything updated to the latest version (except Vista), .NET v3 ruined it?

Wrong, for some reason .NET 3 is some kind of exception. Maybe because I don't want more of .NET than necessary (which, I suppose, should mean that I should use v 1.1 instead). So I stayed on .NET 2.0 SP1.

This part is confusing.  How did nLite work without .NET?

"nLite25" refers to the CD I made with nLite on the 25th of April, just as nLite20-a is the first CD I made on May the 20th and nLite20-b is the second CD I made on May the 20th.

---

Anyway, now I've also "killed" the Automatic Updates. Followed the advice of Ragwing:

Open cmd and write:
sc delete BITS
sc delete wuauserv

Delete the following files from %windir%\system32\:
bitsprx2.dll
bitsprx3.dll
bitsprx4.dll
wuapi.dll
wuauclt1.exe
wuauclt.exe
wuaucpl.cpl
wuaueng1.dll
wuaueng.dll
wuauserv.dll
wucltui.dll
wups.dll
wuweb.dll

wucltui.dll.mui
wuaueng.dll.mui
wuaucpl.cpl.mui
wuaucpl.cpl.manifest
wuapi.dll.mui
wupdmgr.exe

And what did I gain?
Before: system32 - 256 MB, 1308 files
After: system32 - 254 MB, 1293 files

Not much, in other words.

LA

soyabeaner

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:43 AM »
How 'bout this?

Start > Run > %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

It's only one service.  What'd you expect :P  But at least it'll ease your mind knowing less junk for future updates.

Don't forget you'll have to RegSeek the leftovers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:56:44 AM by Soyabeaner »

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »
How 'bout this?

Start > Run > %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

What will happen?

Offline adchia

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »
Very impressing! :o - But how much functionality do you have left, really?

Well. I can do all I need to do, including updating windows, using office, browsing internet, gaming, listening to music/watching movies, my themes still active, with some tweaking, i can run my antimalware apps. tbh, I can't even tell the difference, other than my comps leaner, faster, and cleaner. (I love that clean feeling ;) )

In terms of how much faster it is, I guess it depends on the computer. His guide does improve boot time and makes IE go faster (my IE was sluggish before).

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's quite worth it. Took me a good 2 months to get it to work exactly like I wanted it to. I reinstalled windows 15+ times. But now, it's all good. Made my own batch file to delete everything. Cuts out a ton even on an n-lited windows.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:11:35 PM by adchia »
Current Setup:
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator
Anti-Virus: Comodo Antivirus 2.0.8.20
Registry Cleaners: Regseeker (modified exclude.ini), Easycleaner, CCleaner
Disk Cleaners: Find Junk Files 3.00, Disk Cleaner, CCleaner, Dustbuster

WaterWall

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
Well. I can do all I need to do, including updating windows, using office, browsing internet, gaming, listening to music/watching movies, my themes still active, with some tweaking, i can run my antimalware apps. tbh, I can't even tell the difference, other than my comps leaner, faster, and cleaner. (I love that clean feeling ;) )

In terms of how much faster it is, I guess it depends on the computer. His guide does improve boot time and makes IE go faster (my IE was sluggish before).

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's quite worth it. Took me a good 2 months to get it to work exactly like I wanted it to. I reinstalled windows 15+ times.

You're lucky. I did it about 25 times  :o >:(
I removed almost everything. But i wasn't mad with service removal. So my OS looks pretty,clean as possible and can perform any task a full blow OS can do, except printing.  ;D But I have a printer connected to my laptop, so I don't need this feature  :)

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 06:09:27 AM »
...and I've activated Windows so many times now, that M$ refuses to accept my serial number. >:(

Gotta contact their support. If they still refuse to activate my XP Pro, I have two options ("plague or cholera", that's how we say in Sweden): 1. going back to my Acer recovery CD XP Home OEM version, which is über-bloated and requires much work to get tweaked, or 2. trying my copy of Vista Pro (got it from M$ via my university), which I doubt will work nice on my old machine... :-TD

Maybe the best solution would be to use the Acer recovery CD, make my own XP Home CD from the i386 folder and then use nLite to make it slim. The only problem I can really see here is that I don't know which serial number to use - the one extracted from the system will not be the same as the one on the sticker beneath the computer. But that's a future problem, we'll see what happens.

LA :'(

soyabeaner

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »
What will happen?
Leo >:(  You didn't pay attention to that PM a while ago >:(  It's the official command line to uninstall BITS.

1. going back to my Acer recovery CD XP Home OEM version, which is über-bloated and requires much work to get tweaked, or 2. trying my copy of Vista Pro (got it from M$ via my university), which I doubt will work nice on my old machine... :-TD
And hence, where an imaging program would've save y'all time 88)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek