Poll

Do you use an adblocker or tracking protection?

I use an adblocker
4 (23.5%)
I use tracking protection
2 (11.8%)
I use an adblocker and tracking protection
11 (64.7%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Do you use an adblocker or tracking protection?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline JoWa

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
Re: Do you use an adblocker or tracking protection?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »
There is no escape from adblockers, the content creators wanted this! They are greedy in the past (Advertisement revenue >:-D)
But advertisment is killing the internet and your secure enviroment.
And what happens when even more of the revenue is “blocked”? Will that not kill the internet?

So far it works to block adverts, and let those who do not block them pay for the content you consume. But that is not a long-term solution, if it can be called a solution at all.

We need a long-term solution, not a never-ending war between advertisers and adblockers.
Ubuntu 17.10 | Chrome 63β | HTTPS Everywhere | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline Yousername

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
I am now using uBO with uBO Protector as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6lvv2l/update_make_your_adblock_invisible_to_most_sites/

It is working like a charm. Many websites which used to detect the adblocker no longer does.
In the future if adblockers are "defeated" (to the point where it will take way too much effort to block, not worth the time) then I will focus only on the tracking (if possible), I may go down the route of Privacy Badger. For now since the battle seems to be evenly matched IMO, I will continue to block them aggressively.

Offline Sanya IV Litvyak

• Comodo's Hero
  • Lurking
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 05:12:34 AM »
https://torrentfreak.com/are-cryptocurrency-miners-the-future-for-pirate-sites-170921/

I've been following the discussion about this a bit and so far I've only seen it talked about in terms of pirate sites and no one seems to think about it in a larger picture, everyone seems to be hung up on just pirate sites and how it in this instance was done a bit shifty. I am honestly quite surprised about the response from a lot of people where the majority seem to be outraged about the potential of a website using their CPU, I however do not understand that argument, why is it so outrageous that a website is using your hardware when your hardware is designed to be used?

Anyway, let's take this away from piracy and talk about it as a potential replacement for ads in general. Would it be feasible? If it works then I think it could be a very good replacement for ads. Basically I block ads because 1. I don't like ads and 2. I don't trust ads. But I wouldn't have anything against letting my PC be used for mining as long as I'm visiting a site and as long as it stops when I go away from the site. I do however think that there needs to be more customer control, for example max CPU% usage per site and for all tabs (so even if you open 100 tabs it won't use more than X% resources)

What do you think? Personally I don't see much to be against assuming it's safe.
I support privacy and freedom online - eff.org

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek