Author Topic: Hacked?  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Golf

Hacked?
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »
Hi, last night my PC rebooted without warning and seemed to do a BIOS update.  After looking in the windows I discovered that the reboot I saw an event for LPSLauncher, followed by a GeekBuddy event and then a reboot caused due to an MSI file running which said it was "configuring GeekBuddy".  I installed Comodo a few months back but have never attempted to use GeekBuddy.  The fact that the PC seemed to do a BIOS update when rebooting (which I did not request) does concern me that someone has been able to use GeekBuddy to install some malware on the PC, is this likely?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:59:17 AM by Golf »

Offline PeaceWave

• Comodo Loves me
  • NobleArab
Re: Hacked?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
Hi Golf, welcome and thank you for your post and using COMODO,

just so that you know, you were not being ignored nor was your questions, it's just not enough information supplied by you to help comodo help you,
here's a comment from a COMODO mod, regarding your question :

I don't believe Comodo puts malware in its products.

We don't know exactly what happened with that person's system. His description is not quite clear and further investigation in what is happening with his system and what went down exactly when it crashed is mandatory.

His hardware could be failing and the hardware crash may have damaged the file system making LPS start its installer upon its start up because it noticed a damaged file.

There are too little information to jump to any conclusions including the one that Comodo products would harbour malware.

LPS does not come with malware installed and it is digitally signed. In case a third party web site would have added malware to the installer the signature of LPS would no longer be valid.

That being said. We know too little about what happened and for reasons we don't know the user never followed up on this topic. May be he bought a new computer after hardware issues?

Offline yigido

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • COMODO Rocks!
    • Free Comodo Products!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
look at the time Amigo  88) this guy already hacked I think  ;D ;D :D
COMODO Cloud Antivirus
Firefox Quantum
Encrypt the web! Use HTTPS Everywhere..
Block spying ads and invisible trackers! Use Privacy Badger..

Offline PeaceWave

• Comodo Loves me
  • NobleArab
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
look at the time Amigo  88) this guy already hacked I think  ;D ;D :D

;D
Yeah probably , Just not by COMODO, and his post was being discussed somewhere else because he never followed up on it

great points made by the Mods on his question :

from Kail,
PS "seemed to do BIOS update when rebooting"? I can probably see why that wasn't answered. That's not how BIOS updates work.. at all.

https://forums.comodo.com/general-discussion-off-topic-anything-and-everything/do-not-turn-off-users-please-t98357.0.html;msg712226#new

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
Please notice Golf only made one post. ;) He may have moved on.  :-\

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek