Author Topic: Online Gaming and how to enable Comodo firewall for it  (Read 76201 times)

Offline antcodd

Re: Online Gaming and how to enable Comodo firewall for it
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06:49 PM »
Hi,

I play alot of games with all sorts of different ports, is it safe to use this allow all tcp/udp permanently (while still keeping the block rule for other protocols), excluding all the open ports found in a full portscan (which I will do later with one of those network protection checking apps so that it gets all ports), I have allready excluded the common ones like 139 and stuff. I might ask a friend to run it from the internet side just to make sure it picks up everything exposed by the router (I am DMZ, even with the block rule alot of ports are closed rather than stealthed)

I am pretty good at knowing what to allow or deny when getting inicoming connection request so that shouldn't be a problem

Also, how do I block the MAC address from being transmitted as I know this is an absolutely huge security hole! I won't use this idea until I find out how to block it.

The reason why I am not using the router firewall is because it is annoying having to open ports for individual games, it would be less annoying with comodo because you don't have to restart the router, but still extremely annoying.

Regards,
Antcodd

(L)

EDIT: Ahhhhhhhh..... I didnt notice shields up also says that I am exposing private names through netbios, I thought blocked ment blocked! There can't be that many ports I need to set up. as most should use directplay, I don't feel at all secure enough like this, I will just use this rule temporarily if I really have to (as suggested)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:22:59 PM by antcodd »

Offline RakuPL

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
Okay so how should I configure Comodo in a best way for online play with Guild Wars?

Thanks for the answer!

RakuPL (V)

Edit: No suggestions? Because it sometimes disconnected last time while using CPF :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:10:12 AM by RakuPL »

apache255

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »
first I'd like to mention that absolutely no game in this world uses upnp. I used to play games on the net long before I ever activated upnp on my computer. Upnp, as far as I'm concerned, is mainly used for file transfer operations through MSN messenger or Skype, or any other instant messenging program that needs the computers to appear clearly on the network. And of course it's not safe. But you can safely deactivate upnp and play online games. The other thing is that normaly a proper firewall detects automatically the ports needed for a specifical game, and shows a popup for you to allow it to run or not. I'm not saying that Windows integrated firewall is a good firewall but it does that perfectly.Its just that it forces you to get out of the game after a first launch to give you permission. Sygate used to show a popup "on top" of the game screen, without forcing you to alt-tab or quit the game first. I don't know if cpf does that cause I have not played games for a while, anyway not since I have cpf installed on my PC, and that means recently. I'll probably give it a try...oh yes I just rember now that in order to be able to play the game Flat Out 2 online with cpf loaded, I had to grant full internet access to the game, otherwise it wouldn't connect.I saw an alert from cpf the first time I got out of flat out 2, but that was too short and I did not have the time to allow anything, I launched the game again, got out of it, and no alert at all. So I decided to grant the game full access from inside cpf. That was not the best choice, and manually allow ports for each game I play...well I find that boring, nothing to do with internet security. A firewall should definitely handle that automatically.

Offline Kamigatta

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 03:30:14 AM »
So is this solution safe? Opening all ports, seem risky.. and what if at any one point a user in the game launches a trojan using the game's port?

apache255

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 02:53:01 PM »
So is this solution safe? Opening all ports, seem risky.. and what if at any one point a user in the game launches a trojan using the game's port?

of course it's not the solution. But you can always switch to windows firewall during online gaming, that will automaticaly open the necessary ports for your game, and that should be safe enough for an online session.

Offline nightingale

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
lol I just love the smilees heehee.I have a question .How do I set the firewall for World of Warcraft?Which rule do I change or do I add one?Please be specific cause I am not bright lol.

The ports it uses are

World of Warcraft uses the TCP protocol on port 3724.

The Blizzard Downloader, which downloads patches, also uses TCP ports 6112 and the range 6881-6999.

I do have a router but have had no problems with it blocking the game and I have been using the default setting of this wonderful comodore firewall.

(L) (R) (:CLP)

Offline KiNG Luke

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 11:05:11 PM »
Hello all,
I've recently got Steam and when i update the server list it initiates a 'UDP Flood'
Is there anyway to disable it for steam, or does anyone know some good flood settings to accomodate steam?
Thanks

Offline Machahiko

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 05:07:39 PM »
I have a problem with Comodo Firewall and ANY online games, if I start to play and join a game, whole computer just crashes. Otherwise, if I turn the firewall off, it works out perfecty again.  :-\

edit:
More information, the music/sounds of the game start to loop and the screen freezes, I can't use alt+tab, alt+ctrl+del or windows key. Waiting neither works out. My computer is pretty powerful (or it was!), AMD 64 Athlon 3200+, ATI x800 XL GFX-card and 1gb of RAM (kingston).

I think that you don't do anything with that information, but if I would not have said that, someone would have come here to start **** around how I didn't give the specs of my computer and so on...

edit 2:
Ok, I invested this a littlebit more and it seems that the sounds DON'T start to loop. So I think that the problem is now that when I try to join a game, firewall asks that is it allowed to connect and then.. I just can't do anything.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:16:25 AM by Machahiko »

Offline brown1979uk

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of help.  Im a complete novice with firewalls and require some idiot proof help to get a game running online.  I have the port information that i need to have open but im just not sure how to get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The game is Silent Hunter 4  and below is the information I was sent

Direction   Protocol   Remote Port  Remote Hosts             Local Port        Comment

Outbound  TCP           3074            Test.Isg.agora.mmp.    Any                  Lobby Server
                                                       demonware.net

Outbound  TCP           3074            gsdev##.gsdev.mdc    Any                   Development
                                                        ubisoft.com                                          Authentication Server

Outbound  TCP           3074            agora-as##.gs.mdc.    Any                   Production

Outbound  UDP           Any              Any                              3074-3174        Peer to Peer

Inbound     UDP          Any               Any                              3074-3174        Peer to Peer

Outbound   TCP          80                 gconnect.ubi.com         Any                   Service Discovery

Besides the matchmaking ports these other ports need to be open:

TCP port 19.000
UDP port 19.001
UDP port 19.002

Like i say any help with this would be a great help

Many thanks

Offline Barbaricfellow

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
I really like this firewall as it seems a lot safer then the firewall i was using before.
And a big thx for making it available for free!
I do think it needs some improvements for online gaming though.
I have no problems configuring it to join a online game, but to configure it so i can host a game is an outright nightmare!!  Perhaps if you play 1 game only and have a few hours to spare..( and friends enough who want to help you trying to join your game,for x times!)..but i did not manage it for a single game.   And i  play 12 games online........

Why not a kind of multiplayer profile as a setting for a specific exe file?. :THNK

Or a setting that REALLY allows all activities for a certain application.....
Cause right now if i choose  "allow all activities"...,"allow invisible connection attempts"and "skip advanced security checking"  it STILL wont allow anyone to join!!   LOL

As much as i hate it 'cause i just lost my windows 2 months ago due to  malware.its back to the windows firewall as soon as i start a game (which is the majority of all computer time)
then hopefully i will remember to put it back on again when i go surfing online.
Damn shame...'' Dont really know what to do now..'But going to the process' as described as above for each game is not a realistic option. Thats a certain.

If anyone has an idea for a setting that i can use for each game  i would be very happy to hear it!

Offline dclxvi

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »
For those who say no game is using UPnP, this is wrong PES, use it by default, at least PES6 and PES 2008 :

But even when disabling it, There is still a UPnP request on port 1900...

What am I supposed to do? I tried all in this thread and that one :
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,668.0.html

Creates rules for ports, disable Application Monitor, "Allow invisible connection attemps"
"Skip advanced security checks"... with no sucess... PES 6 does not work as well...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:38:59 PM by dclxvi »

Offline Zito

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
PES 2008 doesn't appear to have a support site unfortunately. Try using their mail support to determine what the firewall setup should be. Link here
CoolerMaster Praetorian aluminium case
Enermax Infiniti 720W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
ASUS Crosshair motherboard
320GB WD Caviar SATA 3.0 HD
320GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA 3.0 HD
2GB Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4
ASUS DVD-RW 1814BLT
Club3D 8800 GTX
NEC floppy drive
Windows XP Pro SP2

Free Endpoint Protection