Author Topic: A Note To Gamers  (Read 112820 times)

Vettetech

Re: A Note To Gamers
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »
You can make separate rules for svchost and other Windows apps. Mine are set to outgoing only. There is a thrad about that. All my games are set to trusted and when you play a game only that game is using those ports it needs. It doesn't mean every other program will use that same port. If you want you can specify what port a game can use. Most games will tell you what port is needed.

Offline loverboy

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
I already set "Outgoing only" all the Windows apps.
The part I'm missing is why I should block all incoming connections for svchost (just to make a name) while I should allow all incoming connections for GAME-A
An open port is a port open for every process? That's why I'm telling that I lack of elementary knowledge for firewalls 88)
While I'm playing GAME-A the incoming port that I blocked for svchost is open? is it open only for GAME-A or also for svchost?
And if it is open only for GAME-A, why shouldn't it be dangerous to let it open?
Why the "famous bad guy" that wants to take possession of my PC cannot do anything (as I hope) exploiting the open port in this case?
Windows 10 Home 64bit
NOD32 Antivirus 16.0.26.0
COMODO Firewall 12.2.2.8012
Configuration: Proactive Security
Firewall: Custom Ruleset
HIPS: Disabled
Auto-Sandbox: Disabled

Vettetech

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
I have been a gamer for along time. used many of firewalls and never a problem. When you make a game trusted it gives it more permission which is better cause you do not need anything slowing down or interfering with a game. Just cause your play WOW and its trusted doesn't mean your pc is open to all other ports. You can test this by running a game minimized and doing a Shields Up test. If you want full protection then a hardware firewall is your best defense. I have a 2Wire Gateway DSL modem with a hardware firewall built in. Its fully stealthed and blocks all my incomings.

Offline jccm

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 06:13:05 PM »
I was having a problem running Worms World Party so I followed the advice (set Firewall and Defense+ to training mode) on this thread.  Now the game is working great but the problem I'm having is with LAN games.  I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 and my friend is running Win ME (don't laugh).  He doesn't have a firewall on his PC.  We connected them both to my router and assigned static IPs.  When we enter multiplayer mode the PCs see each other just fine.  The chat function also works.  However if either of us create a game the other can't see it.  Is this an issue with Comodo or the router?  It's an Edimax BR6204WG.  TIA!

Vettetech

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »
Sounds like a router issue. You can uninstall Comodo and see what happens. Export your settings first then import them on the new install.

Offline jccm

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »
Would that be different from just disabling the firewall?

Vettetech

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Would that be different from just disabling the firewall?

You can try that but be sure you disable D+ and the firewall which will require a reboot. Then when back up be sure that cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe are not running.

Offline jccm

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
Ok, I'll try that.  I'll turn off the Internet connection too to be safe.

Tried it, still no luck.  Here's what the readme has to say:

Connection under TCP / IP is simple as WWP will automatically look for IP addresses running the game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:19:34 PM by jccm »

Vettetech

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 07:31:57 PM »
Ok, I'll try that.  I'll turn off the Internet connection too to be safe.

Tried it, still no luck.  Here's what the readme has to say:

If you disabled Comodo then its not Comodo its your router. You need to get into your router functions.

Offline jccm

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
Any tips on where to start?  If we're behind the same router shouldn't the router just be passing things on and not blocking anything?  Thanks.

Vettetech

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »
Any tips on where to start?  If we're behind the same router shouldn't the router just be passing things on and not blocking anything?  Thanks.

Your gonna have to read the instructions with your router. Check out your manufactures site.

Offline jccm

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
The functions on the configuration page mostly deal with communicating with the outside world.  About the only thing configurable for connections within the local network is DHCP and Wifi settings.  Could be that XP just won't play with ME.  I'll post back here if I find anything.  Thanks again.

Xman

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 08:05:16 PM »
Yo Vette, if you've got a Gateway modem with built in firewall setup on full stealth why are you using Comodos' Firewall? Enlighten me dude...
Rgds

Xman (:NRD)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:07:29 PM by Xman »

Vettetech

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
Yo Vette, if you've got a Gateway modem with built in firewall setup on full stealth why are you using Comodos' Firewall? Enlighten me dude...
Rgds

Xman (:NRD)

LOL. Guess you have alot to learn. A hardware firewall covers inbounds and does not have HIPS or out bound protection. I can pass Shields Up with flying colors without Comodo. But I use Comodo for the HIPS protection and program control.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
Monitoring and protecting outbound connections.

Routers assume all outbound traffic is trusted, providing the packet structure is correct and the protocol conforms to accepted standards.
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek