Author Topic: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7  (Read 122437 times)

Offline gdiloren

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Well, at least Avast seems to admit the proxy problem and is starting to moving towards getting another technology for its Web Shield: :Dhttp://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102701.msg822873#msg822873

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
It has been said by many for quite some time, Avast created the issue, Avast needs to correct it. Not everyone else.
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Bah! Ban 'em all! The only good member is a banned member
And a member is just a policy violator who hasn't been caught yet. >:-D

Offline NSG001

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
That Old Chestnut

a subject, idea, or joke which has been discussed or repeated so many times that it is not interesting or funny any more

8)

i honestly thought this matter had gone away   :-\

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
I suppose someone had to re visit this. At least they provided development update information on the issue.
That was a plus for all those who insisted it was not a Comodo issue.

Offline JessieGU95

« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Hi Comodo.  Can we please, pretty please, get a status update on this?  Will there be a Comodo Firewall update that runs on Windows 7 and that works correctly when such a proxy has been installed?  I don't care about Avast, but I do want my firewall to be able to handle such things.

Won't fix?  Can't fix?  Expect to fix?  Have fixed but not released yet?

Thank you.

Offline John Buchanan

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Avast has acknowledged their scanner as error for creating this issue and are correcting it.

Offline JessieGU95

« Reply #261 on: August 07, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
Avast changing the design of their software does not eliminate the basic problem.  It will only mean that the problem won't be seen when running Avast.  Correction: only means that Avast won't proxy confuse Comodo Firewall.  Some other program still could.  I for one would like to see that hole closed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:16:28 PM by JessieGU95 »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
This is from egemen the head developer:
Hello Guys,

The issue is avast intercepts WEB connections at the driver level and redirects connections to its own local proxy.

Because CIS operates at NDIS layer i.e. the lowest layer of the protection, it sees the actual connection i.e. avast proxy. Normally CIS should have blocked the loppback area connection to the proxy however because of the limitations in Windows 7, it fails.

CIS uses TDI, WFP and NDIS to provide its firewall functionality. WFP maybe enough ti implement an average firewall but it is not enough for a firewall like CFW so that it could not be used alone wihtout the support of the other 2 technologies. Windows 8 allowed us to use WFP more than previous windows editions and it should not be a problem with the next CIS editions which support Windows 8.

If you are interested in you can check Windows 8 BETA of CIS from http://antivirus.comodo.com/windows-8/index.php for the most uptodate edition and see the progress wiht this issue. It should not be a problem with this version. However please keep in mind that this is a strictly BETA version.

Offline JessieGU95

« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
There Mr. Tas tells us why this is happening: 1) The user installed a program that redirects to a local proxy in a particular fashion, and 2) Some rules Comodo Firewall wants to apply don't work because of some aspects of Windows 7.  I'm asking about #2.  Sometimes a developer can work around OS limitations by modifying their own software, and they do.  Sometimes a developer can't work around OS limitations, or they simply decide not to.  Sometimes a developer puts off trying to answer that question while they are trying to push something else out.  I'm just asking for an update; trying to get a sense of where things stand and are headed.  Is Mr. Tas around?

Offline John Buchanan

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Note also the Avast issue affected MS firewall also. Are you going to demand from MS they repair their firewall to prevent this from happening again?
If not, this issue is done and closed as of now!
This issue has been beat to death.
Just be content knowing CIS 6 will protect you.

Thread locked.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek