Author Topic: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7  (Read 125987 times)

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
Yep!
it's only of lesser significance because most people don't configure MS FW for outbound filtering?

Have you looked at the default settings for CIS recently.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
I think WFP predates Windows 7 and I think avast7 is compatible with Vista.  So there probably should be concerns about earlier OS combinations such as Vista+Comodo+Avast7 too.  I can't recall reading of such a combination being tested, but perhaps someone has done so(?).  Edit: I went back through the thread and did see a post or two suggesting that Comodo on Vista was not affected.  So perhaps avast7 doesn't use WFP based redirection on OS's prior to Windows 7?

As far as I recall, WFP was introduced in 2008, which I think was Vista SP1 and Server 2008. I did run a test on Vista and the issue wasn't apparent.

Rereading that "Windows 8 allowed us to use WFP more than previous windows editions and it should not be a problem with the next CIS editions which support Windows 8." comment, I think there are two interpretations:

1) Future versions of Comodo which support Windows 8 should fix the "avast7 type redirection issue" even when running on earlier WFP platforms such as Windows 7.
2) Future versions of Comodo will only fix the "avast7 type redirection issue" when running on Windows 8 or later.

The beta version of CIS for Windows 8 doesn't have this problem and I think it likely the current version will be patched to 'fix' the issue.

I have seen some signs that there may be OS version specific differences in WFP.

There are. The most recent update for Windows 8, has a number of significant new features.

I've yet to see it substantiated that the avast7 WebShield functionality is using some WFP feature that is OS specific.  I've also yet to see it substantiated that a firewall needs an OS version specific WFP feature in order to cope with the avast7 type redirection issue.  Should anyone be able to provide details on such subjects, I for one would enjoy reading them.

According to the Avast developer, in the Avast forum thread, they changed their driver in Avast 7 from the TDI API to WFP and it may well be this that's causing the problems, with CIS and some other third-party firewalls, running on Windows 7. The problem, as it affects users of Windows own firewall, on either Windows 7 or 8, is slightly different, as both Avast web-shield and Avira web-guard allow applications to bypass the firewall regardless of the settings for the individual applications.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
The beta version of CIS for Windows 8 doesn't have this problem...

I assume that means when it is running on Windows 8.  Can it also be run on Windows 7?  If yes, does it also fix this problem on Windows 7?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
I assume that means when it is running on Windows 8.  Can it also be run on Windows 7?  If yes, does it also fix this problem on Windows 7?

The beta version referenced only runs under Windows 8. The current version will need to be patched. This is something egemen has hinted at. (The link was given a posts above)

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
The beta version referenced only runs under Windows 8.

OK, thanks for reply.  Given the name I was inclined to think that but wanted to be sure. 

Offline pc_pete

• Comodo's Hero
  • No idea where this came from!
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:28 AM »
Have you looked at the default settings for CIS recently.
No, but I am aware of the default setting change.
Let me expand (it was 4am here).

it's only of lesser significance because most people don't expect or configure MS FW to filter outbound connections.
On the other hand, the likely expectation of a person taking the trouble to install a 3rd party firewall, is that the product will be filtering outbound connections when configured to do so.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:17:47 AM by pc_pete »

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »
No, but I am aware of the default setting change.
Let me expand (it was 4am here).

it's only of lesser significance because most people don't expect or configure MS FW to filter outbound connections.
On the other hand, the likely expectation of a person taking the trouble to install a 3rd party firewall, is that the product will be filtering outbound connections when configured do do so.

I'm not convinced that's entirely true and I don't think using the feedback from a forum like this would be representative of the majority.

I think one of the reasons people install third-party firewalls, is because they're still under the misguided impression that it's the same product found in XP. For those, just installing something, will give them piece of mind. That aside, even looking at the users of this forum, how may do you suppose simply use either, outgoing only or trusted as their rules of choice, assuming they're even creating their own rules.

Offline Wiired

« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
I get the feeling Moderators do not want this fixed.
Every-time someone asks for answers they get criticized.

Please less dismissing the issue and more resolution is needed.

How about providing an update from the dev for instance?

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
we want it fixed but there is nothing we can do about about it, what is driving us mad is people coming in here and making it look like the problem is only comodo while forgetting others are having the same issue and should instead be badgering MS to get this fixed, it is their problem that they introduced in Windows 7. You have had updates for the main dev, and he told you they are working on it. When we have updates we will let you all know but for the time being we don't have anything.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
Before Comodo users can petition Microsoft to do something they need to know what that something is.  IOW, we're in limbo until we get something definitive and specific from egemen or whoever.  If/when we get a "OK, there is no work-around, Comodo users on Windows 7 are and will remain SOL unless Microsoft makes WFP feature XYZ available in Windows 7" (or whatever) then at least those who are willing to make an effort can describe what it is they need.

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
Ask Microsoft developers to give you the answers you seek. Stop demanding answers from other companies when Microsoft needs to address this for you.
Windows is their product.
Anyone else wishing Comodo provide solutions to a Microsoft issue consider yourself warned as trolling.
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Bah! Ban 'em all! The only good member is a banned member
And a member is just a policy violator who hasn't been caught yet. >:-D

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2012, 12:20:44 AM »
I can't speak for others, but I have no desire or intention to troll.  I simply find myself expending "hopeful energy" to maintain a lock on the optimistic frequency (while delaying this year's deployments which are Windows 7), only to get bumped off it when I see certain words from people with Comodo in their description.  Apparently, I'm not the only one to have a strong reaction to those types of words.  Perhaps this is our problem.  In any case, it indeed isn't resulting in any progress and is just creating more frustration while the days and weeks slip away.  Thanks to everyone who did some testing, exchanged information, etc to try to steer things in a good direction.  Best of luck to Comodo.

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Anyone else wishing Comodo provide solutions to a Microsoft issue consider yourself warned as trolling.

I want that we dont need firewalls and antivirus products! I wish that "the producer of an OS" provides this solution!
But wait, if "the producer of an OS" could make it, why do we have firewalls and antivirus from other companies? Are we getting trolled?
:D
"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there has been no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen.
But there was no phone...."

Offline The CEO

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »

I thought that was CIS's raison d'être!  ;)

Simplistic analysis and blunt solutions to complex problems are best left to radio shock-jocks and cab drivers.
This issue remains an issue because there is no obvious guilty party or easy fix.
In a single round of 3-handed 'paper,stone,scissors' - every player can lose.

I'm not sure MS cares even that their own W7 FW suffers due to not being compatible with Avast's implementation of MS's own WFP redirect API. Comodo, on the other hand,  just might perceive a reason to "fix" it.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
I am inclined to say that Avast is not being careful here when it does not takes into account problems with backward compatibility when deploying new technologies. CIS does differentiate between underlying technologies between XP and Vista/Win 7 when reading egemen's comments. Avast seems to chose not to if I understand things correctly.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek