Author Topic: COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.23.364 Released!--EGEMEN [CLOSED]  (Read 107846 times)

Offline Toxteth O'Grady

• Comodo's Hero
Re: COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.23.364 Released!--EGEMEN
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 08:38:16 AM »
Is it possible to remove unwanted icons from the toolbar?

I know it's possible to make some money simply by searching (for example: http://www.everyclick.com/?locale=world), and I am more than willing to "help" Comodo that way. But I don't  really care for all these icons I'll never need\use.

Offline Eric Cryptid

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Security Saskquatch
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
Loving the new version! Am pleased to see that the On-Demand Scan checks for Signature updates before scanning!

:BNC

Moderator: Any concerns? PM me and/or review the Forum Policy
System: 64 bit Win 10
Realtime Protection:CIS 12

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »
I think there should be an option to opt-out the Toolbar during installation.

Josh

Josh

Users can opt out during installation!

Toolbar is ONLY available with a fresh CFP installation. If you are updating from previous version you do NOT get the toolbar

We would never force anything on our users!

This is just giving our users a choice in their search engine choice and making Comodo some money. It is totally optional at installation. The reason why we chose ask.com as a provider is because they have a good user experience, eg: type New Jersey as a keyword and see the results.. Of course Google is a great search engine but doesn't hurt to have an alternative search engine that you can check and a lot of people have google toolbar anyway. Also, we are building our own version of a toolbar that will have UserTrust built in along with Search Engine Overlays (bit like site advisor) and this is the starting point of it. Of course as always we will always try to give our users a choice!

thank you

Melih

PS:the toolbar is  NOT available to anyone just updating. Its only available if you are installing CFP fresh (eg: no updating from older versions). This might cause confusion to some people thinking that they will get the toolbar yet they are not getting the opt out during that update process. Again: you don't get the toolbar during update... only with a fresh install!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:58:03 AM by Melih »

Josh123

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 08:59:03 AM »
Josh

Users can opt out during installation!

Toolbar is ONLY available with a fresh CFP installation. If you are updating from previous version you do NOT get the toolbar

We would never force anything on our users!

This is just giving our users a choice in their search engine choice and making Comodo some money. It is totally optional at installation. The reason why we chose ask.com as a provider is because they have a good user experience, eg: type New Jersey as a keyword and see the results.. Of course Google is a great search engine but doesn't hurt to have an alternative search engine that you can check and a lot of people have google toolbar anyway. Also, we are building our own version of a toolbar that will have UserTrust built in along with Search Engine Overlays (bit like site advisor) and this is the starting point of it. Of course as always we will always try to give our users a choice!

thank you

Melih

PS:the toolbar is  NOT available to anyone just updating. Its only available if you are installing CFP fresh (eg: no updating from older versions). This might cause confusion to some people thinking that they will get the toolbar yet they are not getting the opt out during that update process. Again: you don't get the toolbar during update... only with a fresh install!

Thanks for you're explanation :-) & sorry for misunderstanding!

Josh

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:14 AM »
NP at all Josh :)

We thought long and hard as to which route we should be taking. We just wanted to give our users a choice. And toolbar was a great way of legitimately injecting Buffer Overflow protection into the browser. Of course there are other many ways, but this way we could achive BO protection for the browser (where you need it most), give our users a 2nd choice for their Search Engine and make some money. Users are our number one concern!!! Every decision we take revolve around them!

thanks
Melih

Offline Searinox

• Comodo's Hero
  • Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
kail's got a point... should put a sort of limit on D+ alerts anyway because when setting the max value 2-billion-something popups last only 2 seconds. Doesn't happen if you go down to 200 million. :D

Toolbar? Not interested, not personally anyway, but what's it do? And what browsers does it support?

Josh123

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »
NP at all Josh :)

We thought long and hard as to which route we should be taking. We just wanted to give our users a choice. And toolbar was a great way of legitimately injecting Buffer Overflow protection into the browser. Of course there are other many ways, but this way we could achive BO protection for the browser (where you need it most), give our users a 2nd choice for their Search Engine and make some money. Users are our number one concern!!! Every decision we take revolve around them!

thanks
Melih

I agree Melih... :)

I have made a sticky in v3 for the Toolbar.

Wow... I am really running around Forums right now *tired*  :-[

Josh

Josh123

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
kail's got a point... should put a sort of limit on D+ alerts anyway because when setting the max value 2-billion-something popups last only 2 seconds. Doesn't happen if you go down to 200 million. :D

Toolbar? Not interested, not personally anyway, but what's it do? And what browsers does it support?

Hi,

I have just collaborated some information and made a sticky, you can find information here:

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/info_comodo_safesurf_toolbar-t23164.0.html;msg162851#msg162851

Josh

Offline Searinox

• Comodo's Hero
  • Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »
So this isn't as much a "toolbar" as it is a background-running app that is in fact the reincarnation of CMF? Oh dear... I should be the first to object to such a thing, as I have persistently reported a bug with all builds of CMF including latest. I strongly believe this product needs additional testing before hitting the public.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
Hi,

I have just collaborated some information and made a sticky, you can find information here:

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/info_comodo_safesurf_toolbar-t23164.0.html;msg162851#msg162851

Josh

great! Thanks Josh :)

Melih

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:52 AM »
So this isn't as much a "toolbar" as it is a background-running app that is in fact the reincarnation of CMF? Oh dear... I should be the first to object to such a thing, as I have persistently reported a bug with all builds of CMF including latest. I strongly believe this product needs additional testing before hitting the public.

You see, thats exactly why we didn't incorporate full CMF into CFP... this is a version that only makes the Browser secure against BO not any other app. this way all the issues we had with CMF will not translate into issues in this version. Technically they are very different products. Putting CMF technology into toolbar (which is a patent pending innovation btw) solved a lot of issues for us and enabled us to launch it with CFP.

thanks
Melih

Offline Munemasa Katagiri

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
I'll try a full reinstall with registry cleaning to see if Gameguard stops restarting me.

Offline 00hmh

• Comodo Loves me
I want CMF in browser, DO NOT want another toolbar!!!!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
Sorry this is the kind of thing that is fairly called BLOATWARE.  I want security, not a search engine in my firewall.

Give the option of CMF without the clutter of adding a toolbar and you give the user choices. 

Here you FORCE me to have the  &*%#^ toolbar if I want the CMF technology. That's not the Comodo I know and love.

Offline malbeth

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
ceterum censeo sorry, wrong quote... :P

3.0.23 still takes about 5 seconds of 100% CPU utilization (one core only for multicore CPUs, thankfully) when creating a rule from pop-up alert, i.e. when you click OK and have the 'create rule' checkbox ticked.

And honestly I don't think patent application for bundling some useful functionality into an adware toolbar can succeed, I'd bet it'll fail novelty test. Opt-out is fine with me, not as good as total separation of features, of course.

You can also add DrWeb to the list of antivirii that don't like that program. In fact, it won't even let me keep 3.0.23's setup file as an .exe, saying that an embedded object is infected and that my options are rename-quarantine-delete.

Offline ailef

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »
installed on vista ultimate SP1.
no prob at the moment. (full new install, no update).
kasper blocked the adware askbar.dll so i don't have the toolbar protection.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:44:58 AM by ailef »
Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit

Security programs installed : Comodo FW v12.2.2.8012

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek