Author Topic: COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.23.364 Released!--EGEMEN [CLOSED]  (Read 107899 times)

Offline mattsen

you have to uninstall and then install the new version to take advantage of the SafeSurf toolbar. Just updating from old version does not enable it I am afraid.

We have some clever patent pending technology that we have been able to incorporate into this toolbar that puts BO protection right inside the browser - Where you need it most!!! So with this toolbar we have been able to enable BO protection for distribution with CFP.

[modified to disguise my prior confusion <g>] So, just so I'm clear (as I'm new to both CFP and CMF, so bear with me), if I do the uninstall/install to get the new version (I had previously just performed the update form within CFP) I'll have to start from scratch with all of my CFP settings, correct?  (No biggie, but still :-) ... then CMF is no longer necessary at all, and I'll have the same degree of protection by installing the SafeSurf toolbar, then?

TIA
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:24:15 PM by mattsen »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.23.364 Released!--EGEMEN
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
So this is the famous version that integrates CMF? :-TU  The only question is what does shopping (the toolbar) have to do with security ???

we get money if you search/buy stuff using this. Its like an affiliate deal.
this way, only if you want to, you can help Comodo generate some money from searching and buying you already do, by choosing to do it via Comodo. Its a way to generate money so that we can keep bringing you even better security and products!

thanks
Melih

soyabeaner

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 10:44:06 PM »
this way, only if you want to, you can help Comodo generate some money from searching and buying you already do, by choosing to do it via Comodo. Its a way to generate money so that we can keep bringing you even better security and products!

thanks
Melih

Thanks for explanation :)

Offline roberta

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
Good Day,  :BNC

Will install new release in a test machine & see.....

Best wishes,

Roberta
Greetings from The Land Downunder

Offline salmonela

• Comodo's Hero
  • COMODO Volunteer DEModerator
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 11:17:29 PM »
Hmmm... Kaspersky said for toolbar: "not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.aw", is it malware? no, it is advertising tool and it is not a virus, I set it in exclusion list...
Bad English, I know...
Thanks
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DUMB QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

Offline Munemasa Katagiri

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:45 AM »
I still restart with Gameguard.

soyabeaner

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »
I just reinstalled CFP from fresh and manually set up my rules.  I shrunk the icon cache file in half while in the process :-TU

Josh123

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 02:51:59 AM »
Good release Comodo! I am glad to see COMODO Memory Firewall technology is built in.

Just installed then, But I am afraid the Safe Guard toolbar isn't yet compatible with Firefox 3.0, Which is currently in RC.

I assume firefox 3.0 will be supported when it goes final?

Josh

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 03:00:35 AM »
Looks like both Kaspersky (above) & now NOD32 (here) report the toolbar as an "AdTool".
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline Star Shadow

• Comodo's Hero
[modified to disguise my prior confusion <g>] So, just so I'm clear (as I'm new to both CFP and CMF, so bear with me), if I do the uninstall/install to get the new version (I had previously just performed the update form within CFP) I'll have to start from scratch with all of my CFP settings, correct?  (No biggie, but still :-) ... then CMF is no longer necessary at all, and I'll have the same degree of protection by installing the SafeSurf toolbar, then?

TIA
To my understanding, the toolbar only protects your system when you have your browser open (other correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, it may be best to still have CMF around because if you download a program, most times they say to have no other programs running, and if you close IE/FireFox 2.x then you loose the protection from BO. Some downloaded programs could be malicious and could try to cause a BO offline to install whatever harmful thing it has.

So, what I would like to see next is CMF technology built more into to CFP to protect offline as well as online. To me it makes sense to have CMF technology fully built into CFP because BO attacks are a major way of compromising a system besides keylogger hooks and whatnot. This is a major step in the right directions, but again, it should go further and then CFP will be a major force in the Firewall programs that other companies cannot match. Though, poor Matousec will need to create even more tests that try to compromise a system via BO attacks. (:TNG) hehe. I wonder how many firewalls can stop that.

Cheers for this great release.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It appears that SafeSurf runs when you don't have a browser open??? :S I'm confused now. I was running CMF still and all browsers were closed and SafeSurf popped up a message saying that it stopped an attack. It was CMF trying to update. :P So, CMF is considered an attack? Anyways, can we have more details on SafeSurf, like: Does it really contain all the features of CMF, so it's a drop in replacement for it? Does SafeSurf run off-line as well, as in all browsers closed? Does it have all features like CMF that will allow one to allow a program? Like with the CMF update, it just stopped it, it didn't give me a chance to allow the cmfupdate executable to run. With CMF, there is a dialog that asks you if you want to allow the program to run or or deny it. I hope all these poderings have an answer. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:18:52 AM by Star Shadow »
Married to a loving wife. :)

Offline giraffe

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 05:15:25 AM »
Does the Toolbar work in Opera? If not, there's no point in a new installation.
W7 Pro SP1
Comodo IS
Pale Moon
SAS and MBAM on-demand.

Josh123

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 05:42:39 AM »
Does the Toolbar work in Opera?

Test it?

I will for you...

Josh

Josh123

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 05:47:20 AM »
Doesn't work in Opera. I am sure COMODO will update the browser compatible list in future release(s).

I can confirm it works in: IE 7 & Firefox 2.
Josh

Offline keith_thfc

• Comodo Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 06:21:12 AM »

Smells like adware to me - not the sort of thing I'd expect from a trusted security company.

Do you need to install the toolbar to get the BO protection?

I use Opera as well but even if I didn't I wouldn't want a separate toolbar - especially when Kaspersky & Nod32 are flagging this as a suspicious item.

Josh123

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 06:22:57 AM »
Do you need to install the toolbar to get the BO protection?

Yes.

Josh

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek