Author Topic: COMODO Firewall Pro 3 has been released!  (Read 104538 times)

Offline Haos

Re: COMODO Firewall Pro 3 has been released!
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2007, 04:14:28 PM »
I see one major flaw: Win2003 support has been discontinued. If this is the permanent state, i will be forced to drop CPF (using v2 currently) for any other IDS, that will support my system.

In my opinion, limiting the supported OS range is a BIG step back.

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »
I see one major flaw: Win2003 support has been discontinued. If this is the permanent state, i will be forced to drop CPF (using v2 currently) for any other IDS, that will support my system.

Comodo plans to add Win2003 support, although there's no deadline yet. :-\
Windows users do not disable UAC

Offline Saul Luizaga

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo Loves me
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
(:WAV)  (:HUG) Hello again, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

1) If you could add on the system tray icon the current and average network speed on all network adapters and individually, this could be useful to monitor traffic at a glance to monitor traffic on a PC, helping diagnose traffic related issues and/or diagnose applications using the network/Internet. It could be a good idea to make a difference between network and Internet traffic. Maybe is too much info for the tray icon but you could put it in the 'Traffic' sub-window in the Summary' Window and some of this statistics in the tray icon.

2) The ir this freeware, eXpress IP Locator (XIPL), that could be included in the CPF to locate the active and blocked connections. The con is that its IP addresses database is not updated but I was thinking that you may have access to a public worlwide IP database to download and keep it uptodate for the Firewall if you decide to include it.

That's all, thank you.

Offline Haos

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
Comodo plans to add Win2003 support, although there's no deadline yet. :-\

Then i still have hope.

Offline Tarun

• Comodo Loves me
  • https://www.lunarsoft.net/
    • Lunarsoft
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:08 PM »
2.4 still has a critical issue that needs to be resolved.  It's where cpf.exe is not properly releasing the User Profile Hives at shutdown.

Offline max2

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2007, 01:20:01 PM »
Hey Tarun,

I am so glad somone mentioned this issue with cpf.exe not releasing the UPH; luckily I think installing UPH Clean resolves the problem on the backend.  Just nice to know I wasn't really losing my mind on this one!

For what it's worth, but I haven't jumped into CFP v3 yet for fear my PC will vomit it and I'll be in computer hell.  Call me a chicken if you wish but I'm waiting for the next update which I hope is soon . . .  I"m very anxious to try it!!

Best,
Max
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 4gb RAM: Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1 - CISP v5.12.256249.2599,

Offline bigjim

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »
Hi,

I installed it today. Never used Comodo firewall before. So I can't compare with the loved 2.4. version.

As a new user, I'm not frustrated to not recognized the old GUI as some does...  It took me some minutes to discover the 3.0 GUI and to quickly understand the philosophy behind.
Since several years, I tested several personal firewall, and I must say that this one is note the easiest, but the worst in term of ergonomy, but it is the most powerful !
It is quite intuitive for an advanced user who now what really a PFW and Defense + do. I really love it !  (CLY)

Defense + is very powerfull, but it is probably to complicated for many people.
I would certainly not recommended CFP to a lambda user. It is far too complicate.
But I really think that it is impossible to reach that level of security transparently, that's why some other products reduce the security level, or worse: sell them with a default security level near 0 ! In this later case, the customer think he is in security though he isn't !  >:(

Comodo goes in the way I think, all vendor should go but hesitate to do so...

Despite CFP is almost for experts, I really think that reported messages are clear and didactic ! It' is something very uncommon, so it is worst to mention it ! Someone with at least a minimum of interest can learn a lot by reading these messages ! I really appreciate !  (:CLP)

The only disapointment after one day of use, is the "help" bug mentionned by some others in the bug reports.  :(  I hope that the fix will come soon...

I use it with NOD32, and a Forticlient (only ipsec VPN installed) on a XP SP2 full patch.
No problem.
I tried also the Comodo TrustConnect (openvpn), no problem either.

Again thanks for this great product !  (:CLP)

Offline Victek

• Comodo Member
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
As a new user, I'm not frustrated to not recognized the old GUI as some does...  It took me some minutes to discover the 3.0 GUI and to quickly understand the philosophy behind.
It is quite intuitive for an advanced user who now what really a PFW and Defense + do.

It's amazing to me that you find the CFP v3 GUI intuitive and easy to understand.  I've used quite a few software firewalls and HIPS over the years and they have mostly made sense to me, so I was surprised to find CFP v3 so confusing.  I decided to uninstall it until there is detailed online help available (hopefully a good tutorial too).
Windows 7 x64, NIS 2010, Comodo Time Machine

Offline nokia

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
Well, I,ve been on Comodo 2.4 for for over an year, if I'm not mistaking. And I had both high hopes for  the long awaited version 3 and a bitter sorrow due to the fact that I'm not very pleased that the development process of this app seems to be everything else but an important/high priority item to work on.
About version 3, I'm both pleased and frustrated. I've been experiencing lots of crashes on XP SP2, on various ocasions, the most frequent one being related to the submission of files towards Comodo. On the other hand, on Vista Home Premium things seem to be more stabilized than on XP, with zero crashes so far from the moment CPF3 appeared. Does anyone have a clue regarding a posibble future update of the CPF ?

Offline Francisco

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2007, 05:04:52 AM »

Q: Does CFP 3.0 support Windows 2000 ?
A: No. Windows 2000 users should continue using the 2.x series.

Never?

One day we will have a version for Windows 2003?

What was the reason for not supporting more of this class platform?

Users of windows 2003 will have to use the version 2.4 forever?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:32:36 AM by Francisco »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2007, 09:19:32 AM »
we will have a 2003 support soon.
i dont have an ETA though
melih

Offline lillypad

« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »
I put the updated version 3 on my computer about three weeks ago.  The only problem I am having is...it increases my startup of my computer by another 20-30 seconds.  This firewall use to load a lot faster when it was the old version.  One question I have... During the time it is taking for the firewall to fully load...is my machine protected? I have highspeed internet through our cable company so the internet is on as soon as my machine is on.  I read somewhere that the older version had something in it that kept all programs from working until the firewall was finished starting...is it still set up that way???

Josh123

« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2007, 11:45:29 PM »
I put the updated version 3 on my computer about three weeks ago.  The only problem I am having is...it increases my startup of my computer by another 20-30 seconds.  This firewall use to load a lot faster when it was the old version.  One question I have... During the time it is taking for the firewall to fully load...is my machine protected? I have highspeed internet through our cable company so the internet is on as soon as my machine is on.  I read somewhere that the older version had something in it that kept all programs from working until the firewall was finished starting...is it still set up that way???

Performances issue's and other major issue's have been fixed in this special beta build, below is what has been fixed and the download links for them :-)

Build 3.14.273
https://forums.comodo.com/cfp_beta_corner/special_test_edition_for_the_users_who_had_problems_with_cfp_3013268-t16824.0.htm

Yes... As soon as your computer starts up, All Services are protecting you :).

Josh.  8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:53:24 PM by Josh123 »

Offline MikeT

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
Josh123 - that link gives a 404 error!

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek