Author Topic: Feedback CESM 2.1 (Beta)  (Read 37062 times)

Offline denis.gz

• CESMUser
Re: Feedback CESM 2.1 (Beta)
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
This way I can completely avoid installing CESM on all clients (quite unnecessary and weird in my opinion)
Any suggestions ?
I can't give you advises on how to avoid installing CESM on your workplace ;-) But if you only need to distribute updates for CIS on your network, setup some proxy server able to serve requests from cache and you are done. CIS is already able to connect through proxy, for years, and CESM doesn't deal with updates itself, anyway. The CachingProxy we added in 2.1 Beta was aimed primarily on saving traffic, for large networks, and to mitigate some (occasional) connectivity issues. You probably will need to find another proxy software, but the idea remains the same.

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Avert the danger that has not yet come
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
 !ot! !ot! !ot!
I can't give you advises on how to avoid installing CESM on your workplace ;-)
I do not want to avoid CESM to save money ;). But, as I have explained in my previous posts, my primary goal is to update CIS on all offline systems and the proposed solutions such as installing CESM on one system and updating others from network did not work for me  :'(.

I wanted to have a simpler solution so that I can use it on a per system basis, in this way I can also give updates to all my friends who do not have internet.
But if you only need to distribute updates for CIS on your network, setup some proxy server able to serve requests from cache and you are done. CIS is already able to connect through proxy, for years, and CESM doesn't deal with updates itself, anyway.
The Caching Proxy we added in 2.1 Beta was aimed primarily on saving traffic, for large networks, and to mitigate some (occasional) connectivity issues.
I could never get it to work, there is no single working tutorial or guide to achieve this in this forum. I myself posted one which is lengthy and does not always work for myself.
You probably will need to find another proxy software, but the idea remains the same.
I do understand the idea behind it, but the process still remains unexplained, it never worked, for me at least :'(.

Can any of you please guide me in a step by step manner on using a suitable http/proxy server (please suggest one, a simple one) in a completely offline environment.
with love Siva Suresh
|| Windows7 x64 | CIS 10 | Firefox | Thunderbird | CCleaner | Evernote | PStart | UltraCopier | Dropbox | TeamViewer | Screenshot Captor ||
|| AMD Phenom II x4 955B | ASUS M4A88TD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 240GB Sandisk SSD  || 6TB SATA II HDD 6Gb/s

Offline Tim B.

• CESMUser
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
Hi Siva, thanks a lot for such detailed feedback.

Let's look what we have with agent and CIS deployment. "The network name cannot be found" is a quite tricky error to reproduce so we need to go through some check steps if you don't mind.

1. Have you ensured that any kind of firewall is disabled on the target machine before deployment?
2. Ping ability is fine, but could you please verify that share \\targetmachine\admin$ is accessible from server machine? This is the most important check for us.
Even trying to deploy CIS on to the same system where CESM is installed is also giving the same error.
This likely means that problem is with the server machine.
4. About error suggestions I am totally agree, this is a subject to change in next releases. HKLM\...\forceguest=0 means that this key should be set to 0.
5. If deployment fails with error "bad username or password" and you are sure that login and password entered are correct then it likely you have not set forceguest and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy keys on the target machine, please check this.

Please let us know results. Thank you.

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
Thanks Tim for your concern.

1. Have you ensured that any kind of firewall is disabled on the target machine before deployment?
Yes, I only have CIS installed. I disabled Comodo Firewall, that did not make any difference.
2. Ping ability is fine, but could you please verify that share \\targetmachine\admin$ is accessible from server machine? This is the most important check for us.
Yes, I am able to access that folder, it is opening "Windows" folder.
3. This likely means that problem is with the server machine.
To be more exact, I am now just trying to deploy agent on to the same system where both CESM and CIS are installed. So, it itself is the server, it is the client.
5. If deployment fails with error "bad username or password" and you are sure that login and password entered are correct then it likely you have not set forceguest and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy keys on the target machine, please check this.
The "forceguest" is already set to "0". The second one I thought was unnecessary (as the current user is in administrators group), but I did create it to verify, it does not make any change too.

This system configuration is Win7 x64 with UAC disabled. CESM 2.1 and CIS 5.10 installed and running. (Although the same failure occured on XP clients too, I am just trying to solve this test case first, as this is the simplest thing for me to do)
with love Siva Suresh
|| Windows7 x64 | CIS 10 | Firefox | Thunderbird | CCleaner | Evernote | PStart | UltraCopier | Dropbox | TeamViewer | Screenshot Captor ||
|| AMD Phenom II x4 955B | ASUS M4A88TD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 240GB Sandisk SSD  || 6TB SATA II HDD 6Gb/s

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »
I observed a strange behaviour with installing and uninstalling CIS, while it is a client to CESM.

This is what I did.

I installed CESM, installed CIS, deployed agent, uninstalled CIS (for some purpose)

Here is the surprise, the agent was still there running on the system, while CIS got uninstalled alone. It did not offer to uninstall the agent or warn about it's presence.

When I installed CIS again and go to "Manage this endpoint", it shows "agent was successfully deployed" without me doing anything., but it is not connected to CESM, CIS main interface also does not show any sign of it in it's left corner.

When I try to reconnect it to CESM, it says "agent deployment failed"

May be this is some design issue, please look in to this.

Besides, please provide a way to uninstall CIS directly from CESM, this way we can have more control over it. In case of trying out a different version on a client also, this is very useful.
with love Siva Suresh

Offline alex_gubernsky

• CESMUser
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »
Besides, please provide a way to uninstall CIS directly from CESM, this way we can have more control over it.

Hi Siva,

We are planning to include this feature in one of next releases. The user will be able to decide whether he wants to uninstall CIS when removing a computer from the "View All Computers" screen.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek