Author Topic: Feedback CESM 2.1 (Beta)  (Read 37025 times)

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Avert the danger that has not yet come
Re: Feedback CESM 2.1 (Beta)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »
Siva,

One way to accomplish your task is to install CESM and CIS on a machine where internet connection is available (your home). You should enable Caching Proxy on it and configure CESM and CIS to use this. Then, perform CIS AV updates and download CESM update packages, if any, so the Caching Proxy could save it in its cache. Locate the Proxy folder on disk (you can find it in the COMODO folder in the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% location) and copy all the contents to a CD or USB disk.
I have done the same today, but did not get any files or data in "cache" folder. May be the delay you proposed has something to do with it. I will check it again tonight.

Now, provided that you have also enabled Caching Proxy on your workplace CESM installation, replace its data folder with the one you have copied. Ensure Caching Proxy is configured to provide content from cache when the content's source is not available (enabled by default), and configure all the clients to use it. Having this done, all clients will now receive updates as if Internet connection is available.

Please be aware of the following, however:

1. This solution is a workaround only, there were no use-cases nor testing for it;
2. Caching Proxy saves only content requested from the downloads.comodo.com host;
3. There will be some delay serving each request in offline mode, this is a known issue.
even a workaround is fine for me as long as it works and until we get a proper solution. I do not yet understand why the procedure is not working for me. I will any way repeat it twice and thrice and come back with the report.
with love Siva Suresh
|| Windows7 x64 | CIS 10 | Firefox | Thunderbird | CCleaner | Evernote | PStart | UltraCopier | Dropbox | TeamViewer | Screenshot Captor ||
|| AMD Phenom II x4 955B | ASUS M4A88TD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 240GB Sandisk SSD  || 6TB SATA II HDD 6Gb/s

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Ok. It works now. It took some time but it worked.

What I observed is that the bases updated from now on are included in the cache and the complete bases are not.

How can I include the complete bases ? (I have a cruel idea though... I will just delete the bases.cav scanners and repair folder and run an update from scratch, is it OK?)

Are the CIS version upgrades included in the cache?

Can I create the deployment package including both settings and latest bases?

with love Siva Suresh
|| Windows7 x64 | CIS 10 | Firefox | Thunderbird | CCleaner | Evernote | PStart | UltraCopier | Dropbox | TeamViewer | Screenshot Captor ||
|| AMD Phenom II x4 955B | ASUS M4A88TD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 240GB Sandisk SSD  || 6TB SATA II HDD 6Gb/s

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
I have observed one more important problem with CIS clients running under CESM. :-[ (Edit:May be it has to do something with me manually deleting bases.cav from the corresponding folders.)

Whenever I run a new program or application, after clicking the "do not isolate again" in the sandbox alert, the file is not getting in to the trusted files list. It gives the same alert everytime I try to open the file, no matter how many times I click the "do not isolate again" link.  :o???

I was first unaware of the fact that it is a CESM issue, so I tried all other things, and, I was surprised to see that CIS is now being managed remotely. So we expect it to deny clicking "do not isolate again" or any kind of other popup since CIS now being managed at CESM level. Instead it is accepting the click and just not applying the action. :o

After switching back to local admin mode also I could not get it to work and I had to disable D+ to run the program. :o ???

It's fine, I will live without that program(thunderbird daily) for a day without any problems. But I would like to see what more problems I will have to face with this kind of configuration. ;)

I am now reverting back to remote management mode. I will see what more happens... ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:44:19 AM by SivaSuresh »
with love Siva Suresh

Offline denis.gz

• CESMUser
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »
Ok. It works now. It took some time but it worked.

What I observed is that the bases updated from now on are included in the cache and the complete bases are not.

That might happen because the proxy settings had not yet been applied to CIS at the time it started AV update. Looks like you specified it manually, some time after computer reboot. The best way to apply proxy settings is via policy, set on Unassigned group before the endpoint is managed. Then, when Agent and CIS are deployed, they acquire the configured settings immediately and no connection from CIS will bypass proxy.

--
Best regards,
Denis

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
That might happen because the proxy settings had not yet been applied to CIS at the time it started AV update. Looks like you specified it manually, some time after computer reboot. The best way to apply proxy settings is via policy, set on Unassigned group before the endpoint is managed. Then, when Agent and CIS are deployed, they acquire the configured settings immediately and no connection from CIS will bypass proxy
Actually I have installed CESM on a system with already CIS installed and running. I simply added CIS to CESM as a client manually from CIS console. (I failed to do otherwise, you can read my previous posts).
I have now added the proxy settings through CESM console only, but what I feel is CESM proxy cache started caching bases from the version present in CIS to the current version (Obviously that is what is downloaded after CESM installation)

One of the major problems I reported previously with the GUI design still remains.

Whenever I move from one page/screen to another by clicking an internal link, I can not get back to my previous screen in any way.

If I click the "back" button inside CESM console screen, it takes me to the screen above or before the present screen in the CESM hierarchy and not the actual previous screen.

If I click the "back" in the explorer window, it simply offers me to disconnect from CESM.

I have to move through a number of screens again and again just to get back to the previous screen I just visited...

Please change this behaviour...Please...Please...Please...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:57:52 AM by SivaSuresh »
with love Siva Suresh

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
Can I run the diagnostics on a CIS client from CESM console?

As I said before, I just killed my own CIS by manually deleting bases.cav in safe mode  :P. It now says Antivirus engine is not initialised. I will run diagnostics or reinstall CIS again, not a problem.  8)

But, I just wanted to know if the same can be done from CESM console instead of client side installation. ;D
Edit: Can I uninstall CIS on a client from CESM console? (may be for a reinstallation)
(testing CESM to it's peeks... >:-D)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:13:41 AM by SivaSuresh »
with love Siva Suresh

Offline alex_gubernsky

• CESMUser
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »
Hi Siva,

Whenever I run a new program or application, after clicking the "do not isolate again" in the sandbox alert, the file is not getting in to the trusted files list. It gives the same alert everytime I try to open the file, no matter how many times I click the "do not isolate again" link.  ???

This behaviour is really weird. After clicking the "do not isolate again" link a file should get the trusted files list no matter whether CIS is in local or remote administration mode. From the other hand the behaviour when CIS shows popus being in remote mode is wrong and this should be fixed in CIS.

For now I can think of the only reason why this is happening: the changes to the trusted files list you made by clicking the "do not isolate again" might be overwritten by ESM policy. I.e. you add a new file to the list and ESM overwrites the list and in that way restores its original state (without the added file). Do you think this is a possible reason for your case? If not, could you please export CIS configuration from that endpoint (go to "More->Manage My Configurations" and export the active configuration to a CIS xml configuration file) and send it to us? Also, what OS and CIS versions are installed on that endpoint?

Sincerely,
 Alexander
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:15:42 AM by alex_gubernsky »

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:10 AM »
Two things are still bothering me.

1. I could not deploy agents on to any of the clients from CESM console either on the same system or another PC both in real systems and VMs. I get either "Network Name not Found" error or "bad username or password" error. :(

I could connect to CESM server from client interface in almost all the cases. The passwords were not wrong either. 88)

2. I copied the cache folder and replaced the blank folder with the cached content in the system without internet. When I click update database, the process starts and stalls at 5 to 20 % randomly. The initial bases file is about 110 MB and only a part of it gets downloaded and the process stalls there. After a while the "update failed, please check your internet connection" message appears. ???

I tried it twice and thrice on different systems, it's the same result.

However, I am very much happy that there is at least a beginning  :-TU and surely we are going to overcome these minor issues in the upcoming releases. Awaiting a new and improved version... ;)
with love Siva Suresh

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
I could not wait longer ;) so I tried to implement CESM on a trial basis in my office.

1. I installed CESM and CIS on one system and tried to deploy agent from CIS interface. It failed with a message saying "agent deployment failed", no other information. What could be the cause ?

2. I installed CESM and CIS on another machine things worked fine here. I copied data on to it's cache folder. I could successfully update CIS on the same system by setting the proxy :-TU (This system does not have Internet connectivity).

But, by setting this system and port as proxy to CIS on other systems, they do not seem to identify this at all. They are all giving "Check your internet connection" message ??? :o. (The system with CESM is accessible to all other systems, folder sharing, file backup and all other networking functions are working without any problem.) How do I know what could be the problem ????

3. Can we use any HTTP file server like HFS http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro instead of CESM ? or CESM is compulsory to distribute updates ???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:13:12 AM by SivaSuresh »
with love Siva Suresh

Offline denis.gz

• CESMUser
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
1. I installed CESM and CIS on one system and tried to deploy agent from CIS interface. It failed with a message saying "agent deployment failed", no other information. What could be the cause ?
One possible reason is connectivity issues. Try specifying IP addresses (not DNS names), and ensure no firewall rules block Agent connections.

But, by setting this system and port as proxy to CIS on other systems, they do not seem to identify this at all. They are all giving "Check your internet connection" message ??? :o. (The system with CESM is accessible to all other systems, folder sharing, file backup and all other networking functions are working without any problem.) How do I know what could be the problem ????
Again, try specifying IP addresses for the proxy, and apply proxy settings via policy. If you're applying manually, and CIS fails to update, try cycling your LAN interface (disable/enable).

3. Can we use any HTTP file server like HFS http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro instead of CESM ? or CESM is compulsory to distribute updates ???
CESM is not designed to work in totally offline environment. You need to provide some kind of Internet connection at least for the CESM server machine, otherwise it won't function properly.

--
Best regards,
Denis.

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
One possible reason is connectivity issues. Try specifying IP addresses (not DNS names), and ensure no firewall rules block Agent connections.
The network is fine. I am able to ping the system with dns name, able to use shared folders using name, etc., Besides, using IP address also gave the same result.
As for firewall rules, there is no firewall at all. I disabled both windows and comodo firewalls, as I did not have any internet connection at all.
Again, try specifying IP addresses for the proxy, and apply proxy settings via policy. If you're applying manually, and CIS fails to update, try cycling your LAN interface (disable/enable).
The network is fine. I am able to ping the system with dns name, able to use shared folders using name, etc., Besides, using IP address also gave the same result.
CESM is not designed to work in totally offline environment. You need to provide some kind of Internet connection at least for the CESM server machine, otherwise it won't function properly.
That's exactly why I asked for the possibility of using 3rd party file server tools, so that I can simply avoid using CESM at the system where I do not have internet connectivity.
Here is my plan:
I use CESM on a system with connectivity and generate proxy cache.
I copy proxy to the system with no connectivity.
I use tools like HFS to distribute the proxy cache data over http
I specify this system as proxy address on CIS clients to download updates.
with love Siva Suresh

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »
When I try to install CESM 2.1 Beta on WinXP (SP2) systems, I get "installation ended prematurely, please try again" error.

Does CESM require SP3 or is there any other reason ?
with love Siva Suresh

Offline Sergey Gorodetskiy

• CESMUser
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
Does CESM require SP3 or is there any other reason ?

Hi, Siva.
The CESM server requires XP SP3.
CESM Central Service computer - the PC that will run the Endpoint Security Manager software
1.   Operating system
Microsoft® Windows™ Server family:
•   Windows 2003 Server (SP2 or higher) x86 and x64 editions
•   Windows 2003 Small Business Server
•   Windows 2003 Small Business Server R2
•   Windows 2008 Server (SP2 or higher) x86 and x64 editions
•   Windows 2008 Small Business Server
•   Windows 2008 Server R2
   - or -
   Microsoft® Windows™ client family:
•   Windows 7 x86 and x64 editions
•   Windows XP (SP3 or higher) x86 and x64 editions
•   Windows Vista (SP1 or higher) x86 and x64 editions

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »
Hi, Siva.
The CESM server requires XP SP3.
Thanks for the reply...

That indeed answered my question, but kept my problem alive  ;)
with love Siva Suresh

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 05:57:15 AM »
Here is my plan:
I use CESM on a system with connectivity and generate proxy cache.
I copy proxy to the system with no connectivity.
I use tools like HFS to distribute the proxy cache data over http
I specify this system as proxy address on CIS clients to download updates.
This way I can completely avoid installing CESM on all clients (quite unnecessary and weird in my opinion)
Any suggestions ?
with love Siva Suresh

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek