If usually use OE, what happens when read encrypted emails via browser?

Hey - I’m a new newbie - a true ■■■■. Never seen or used encrypted emails or a Digital ID in my life. But I’m thinking about it, and thinking about downloading Comodo’s free app for home use.

Why? I help my wife in her business, and we have lots of business info and attachments in emails between us. I’d like those to be automatically encrypted, but not our emails to anyone else. Automatic and painless, or my wife won’t use it … and I also don’t want more IT to maintain. By the way, we both have WinXPPro SP3

Here’s some Qs for y’all:

If we send each other encrypted, Digitally ID’d emails, and we typically read them on our email apps on our personal computers – I use Outlook Express 6 :-TU and she loves AOL :-TD – what happens if we’re on vacation one day and we use the hotel’s computer’s browser to go to the email ISP (webmail.verizon.net in my case and aol.com in hers) to read our emails direct from the source? Will we be able to read them?

What if her laptop or my desktop is stolen or broken - how easy would it be to find (!) and re-install the same encrypt keys on a new PC (in her AOL or my OE)?

Finally, I’ve asked a third question here: https://forums.comodo.com/help-cse/does-encryption-work-easily-in-aol-emails-t62100.0.html

Please respond to my first two questions here and maybe then go to the link for the third.

Thanks!

SiberLynx - Please report this ■■■■ Caron67 to the Moderators - I have.

Meantime - to truly interested readers - BUMP - would still like to get comments to my first question above.

Gmail can use HTTPS. Set yourselves up Gmail accounts and tell it to always use HTTPS in the account settings. Now you can check your mail easily wherever you travel.

You can access Gmail through POP3 applications like Outlook Express.

Hi glnz ,

I’m sure you will get your answers

Thanks for the reply

I did that already few times, and I PMed him personally when there were less than 10 of his messages… now we have more than 100 (!!!) in a matter of 2-3 days.
I know him from the other forum, were the Admin had to intervene in order to stop that flood of useless messages and “advices” :o

Thank you for support

My regards

As far as I know AOL does not support S/MIME encryption. Your wife would have to be using some other mail client such as Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.

what happens if we're on vacation one day and we use the hotel's computer's browser to go to the email ISP (webmail.verizon.net in my case and aol.com in hers) to read our emails direct from the source? Will we be able to read them?
Simply put, if you don't have a client that can read SMIME encrypted emails with the corresponding private key used for decryption, you won't be able to read any encrypted emails.
What if her laptop or my desktop is stolen or broken - how easy would it be to find (!) and re-install the same encrypt keys on a new PC (in her AOL or my OE)?
I would have that certificate revoked immediately if the PC is stolen. It can still be used to decrypt content, but not encrypt new content. It is always recommended that you store a backup copy of your certificate and private key for situations like this.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have removed CARON67s post from this thread.