Author Topic: Feedback on Help, FAQs and Guides  (Read 50612 times)

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Help materials - feedback topic
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »
1- After the reboot everything that is in the sandbox will be automatically terminated and won´t be able to execute (only after manually execution).
No it will run in the sandbox again after the reboot, unless removed from the sandbox in some way, for example by the user making it a trusted file. Because it is sandboxed it is unable to damage your system.

2- If my first post is right, then that means after the reboot you will not receive pop up´s  from those programs (like com windows hooks, COM interfaces, etc).
You will receive the same pop-ups, if the app is still sandboxed. Most sandboxed files don't generate COM, hook alerts, but some do.

3- Can an other program (trusted or not) start an application that was terminated in reboot (and of course is in untrusted files).
If an unknown program is started again it is sandboxed and so unable to damage your system.

4- Manually terminate an application that is in the sandbox will have the same effect than rebooting ( the application won´t be able to automatically start).
If an unknown program is started again, whether automatically or not, it is sandboxed and so unable to damage your system.

5- what about dropped files
Sandboxed software is not allowed to drop files in protected directories.

Hope this answers your questions. Apologies for the delay.

Mouse
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:55:38 PM by mouse1 »

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Please add to D+ FAQ:
1. Differences between Comodo Preset Configurations, but not this outdated text. ;)

2. How to enable execution alerts when starting an application from Windows Explorer. :)

Good suggestions! Will do my best when I have time. Think differences between CIS and Proactive now small.

If you want to have a go do post here, and I will move to FAQ when ready!

Best wishes

Mike

Offline Peter5

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
Thanks for all the answers Mouse.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »
Good suggestions! Will do my best when I have time. Think differences between CIS and Proactive now small.

If you want to have a go do post here, and I will move to FAQ when ready!

Best wishes

Mike

Draft comparison of Proactive and Internet Security Configs added: here.

Please do check if you agree if you have time.

Offline JoWa

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I believe in doubt.
    • Evolutionary history of life
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
Thanks! :) :-TU
Ubuntu 19.10 | Firefox 70β | HTTPS Everywhere | Privacy Badger
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline MRCS

• Comodo Family Member
Installation & initial configuration the hassle-free way (CIS 5.x)
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the guide; it was a *big* help.

However there was one item that I found a bit confusing,  #5. "ignoring all except AV alerts".  I am well versed in Comodo (though by no means as expert as some), so if I found it confusing, others might too.  Then again, no one else has posted a comment on this so it may only be me.

When you say, "all except AV alerts", surely you don't mean D+ alerts, of which I had quite a few, and the closest thing there to 'ignore' is 'cancel'.  Then of course the program won't run.  I chose the status I wanted for the program.  But of course if you're 'choosing' you're not 'ignoring'.

I may be totally missing something here, so can you please point me in a direction to find an explanation to this confusion.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Installation & initial configuration the hassle-free way (CIS 5.x)
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 05:48:14 AM »
Thanks for the guide; it was a *big* help.

However there was one item that I found a bit confusing,  #5. "ignoring all except AV alerts".  I am well versed in Comodo (though by no means as expert as some), so if I found it confusing, others might too.  Then again, no one else has posted a comment on this so it may only be me.

I mean just literally ignore them they'll time out or not before the next reboot. It does not matter if they don't time out before your reboot. The reason for this policy is to avoid the risk of creating confusing additional rules, which will happen if people answer and tick remember my answer.

Offline MRCS

• Comodo Family Member
Re: Installation & initial configuration the hassle-free way (CIS 5.x)
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »
I mean just literally ignore them they'll time out or not before the next reboot. It does not matter if they don't time out before your reboot. The reason for this policy is to avoid the risk of creating confusing additional rules, which will happen if people answer and tick remember my answer.

Okay.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline MrBrian

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Feedback topic for help materials
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
From http://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-faq-cis/file-specification-inc-using-wildcards-in-cis-draft-v5-t77245.0.html:
However there appears to be no simple way to get round this when defining block and allow lists for a specific file or file spec. Block lists under 'customise' in a D+ rule don't over-ride more general allow lists for example, and you cannot define multiple rulesets for the same file or set of files (specified the same way) in D+. However in D+ rules defining the file path once using a string, and the second time an environment variable, does seem to be accepted by D+ and priority ordering may therefore work.

One can get around this by using multiple file groups, with each file group including the same file or file spec.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Feedback topic for help materials
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »
From http://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-faq-cis/file-specification-inc-using-wildcards-in-cis-draft-v5-t77245.0.html:
One can get around this by using multiple file groups, with each file group including the same file or file spec.

Good thought :). So then priority ordering would potentially work.

Best wishes

Mouse

Offline SVinto

• Comodo Member
I have been following this thread and decided to test each individual purpose, I have concentrated on the "Average User" rules but may also test some "advanced rules" in future tests.

Some time has gone since the first testrun begun.

In sense of daily practical use, may we get to the sacred question  :)

Are we still using this setup when browsing internet or visiting the bank ?

Thanks for a nice guide and review!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:48:34 PM by SVinto »

Offline ad18

• Comodo's Hero
I noticed that if a have any browser set as a force program in Sandboxie that I cannot run it in the Comodo sandboxie without Sandboxie interfering. Is the Virtual Kiosk really secure when it cannot prevent Chrome from running under Sandboxie? I am not trying to say anything bad about Comodo but this does make me think the Kiosk might not make banking more secure.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Some time has gone since the first testrun begun.

In sense of daily practical use, may we get to the sacred question  :)

Are we still using this setup when browsing internet or visiting the bank ?

Thanks for a nice guide and review!

Thanks for the feedback, which i have merged into the feedback topic. I hope that is OK

Ye it would be interesting to hear feedback about whether people are using the guide long term.

Offline mouse1

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
I noticed that if a have any browser set as a force program in Sandboxie that I cannot run it in the Comodo sandboxie without Sandboxie interfering. Is the Virtual Kiosk really secure when it cannot prevent Chrome from running under Sandboxie? I am not trying to say anything bad about Comodo but this does make me think the Kiosk might not make banking more secure.

Sandboxing a sandboxed program is a big 'ask', so I don't think (IMO) failure to handle that should make people doubt it's security.

Offline Wiseloki

Re: Feedback on Help, FAQs and Guides
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Hi,

Having problems with the v7 CIS Firewall update, so I tried to uninstall. Used the uninstaller tool (or cleanup tool) batch file and it hasn't removed it all.

I no longer get a popoup saying that Comodo can't start on boot, but Comodo still appears in the Programs list.

OS is XP SP3, with NOD32 v4 AV.

One more thing - the uninstaller seems to have broken my version of MS ActiveSync - it can't see my PDA any more and I just get a black square in the system tray where the icon used to be. Further update. Another reboot seems to have fixed ActiveSync. Comodo is still in Programs list, though.

Just reporting this as requested in the "Completely uninstalling CIS " thread so the tool can become further improved.

It's a pity Comodo can't engineer an uninstaller correctly in the first place, rather than rely on community developed batch files.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:29:42 AM by Wiseloki »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek