Author Topic: copy and paste between the container and the real system.  (Read 568 times)

Offline markcusack

• Comodo Family Member
copy and paste between the container and the real system.
« on: June 18, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »
How can i copy and paste between the container and the real system. if i open a file in the container copy paste does not work. I read it was security and possible to allow it to work but do not see how. Shared space worked sometimes but i do not want to have to copy the file to shared space to open. And I am not sure if it is safe to open a program in shared space without choosing run in comodo container? Do you have to run in the container if the program is in shard space??

Offline ReeceN

• Comodo's Hero
  • Paranoid B#st#rd - CIA
Re: copy and paste between the container and the real system.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
You are correct, you need to save the file in the shared space then open it from there.

- sandbox file to copy data to sandboxed file/prcoess
- do not sandbox file to copy data to none-sandboxed file/process

Allowing data to be copied to and from the sandbox via the system clipboard would break the wall the sandbox provides thus is rightly not allowed.

The developers have been experimenting with the idea. However, if this would be allowed, it would have to be done in a way that the user authorises the transfer of data to and from the sandbox via some sort of Comodo prompt in order to sustain the integrity of the sandbox.
Some Comodo wallpapers by me
Wonders what John McAfee will do next.

Offline markcusack

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
You are correct, you need to save the file in the shared space then open it from there.

- sandbox file to copy data to sandboxed file/prcoess
- do not sandbox file to copy data to none-sandboxed file/process

Allowing data to be copied to and from the sandbox via the system clipboard would break the wall the sandbox provides thus is rightly not allowed.

The developers have been experimenting with the idea. However, if this would be allowed, it would have to be done in a way that the user authorises the transfer of data to and from the sandbox via some sort of Comodo prompt in order to sustain the integrity of the sandbox.
so i do not need to run in container when the suspicios file is in the shared space and i want to copy paste to real system?
It should be esy to give people who know what they are doing a choice

Comodo seem to take a step forward, right click to unblock applications,  then two steps backwards with this stupid sandbox setting

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:48:20 PM by markcusack »

Offline ReeceN

• Comodo's Hero
  • Paranoid B#st#rd - CIA
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
You can not run an unknown executable file (.exe, .dll etc) outside of the sandbox unless you add it to the sandbox exceptions.

If you are running the unknown executable file and would like to save a none-executable file from it, such as a .doc, .jpg, etc then you can save that file into the shared space. You can then allow other none-sandboxed applications to open it from there (or vise-versa).

The shared space provides a middle ground file storage directory where both none-sandboxed and sandboxed applications can access.

If this does not help, can you please explain exactly what type of file or application you are sandboxing and what you are trying to do with it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:13:21 PM by ReeceN »

Offline markcusack

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 04:09:58 PM »
You can not run an unknown executable file (.exe, .dll etc) outside of the sandbox unless you add it to the sandbox exceptions.

If you are running the unknown executable file and would like to save a none-executable file from it, such as a .doc, .jpg, etc then you can save that file into the shared space. You can then allow other none-sandboxed applications to open it from there (or vise-versa).

The shared space provides a middle ground file storage directory where both none-sandboxed and sandboxed applications can access.

If this does not help, can you please explain exactly what type of file or application you are sandboxing and what you are trying to do with it?

i do not have the sand box enabled so i can run an unknown exe. I run it right click /run in comodo container. then it is sandboxed .i cannot then copy some text from it and paste to a non sandboxed program. i have to
run exe in container
run notepad in container
copy paste to notepad in container.save
only then will it paste outside the container

It should an option to paste outside the container. An option so people who know what they are doing could choose
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:29:31 PM by markcusack »

Offline ReeceN

• Comodo's Hero
  • Paranoid B#st#rd - CIA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
As I have said, the devs have already been testing out this functionality.

However, as this is essentially allowing a hole in the sandbox, this type of feature would require some sort of user prompt so that it is not an automated sandbox bypass and therefore will require additional testing to make sure the sandbox remains secure.

Security comes first, so depending on the results of that testing, and upon the decisions made by the devs, this may or may not be released as a feature.

Offline markcusack

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 06:33:18 AM »
As I have said, the devs have already been testing out this functionality.

However, as this is essentially allowing a hole in the sandbox, this type of feature would require some sort of user prompt so that it is not an automated sandbox bypass and therefore will require additional testing to make sure the sandbox remains secure.

Security comes first, so depending on the results of that testing, and upon the decisions made by the devs, this may or may not be released as a feature.
That is easy user computer programmes have promts all the time. Choice should come first

Offline ReeceN

• Comodo's Hero
  • Paranoid B#st#rd - CIA
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »
CIS is constantly in development, it can't have all possible features from the start.

It takes time. Be patient, it may or may not be a feature.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:52:54 AM by ReeceN »

Offline User Name

• Comodo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 05:29:08 AM »
go to the windows-explorer settings; turn "show hidden files/data" on...
i.e if you want to copy and past some text from internet browser , open a text file in container copy and past it in it and save the text file .
Then go to c: you should see now VTroot open it navigate to where u have safe/stored it.  Now you can grape it and drop it where ever u want it( btw this works with any other data/file type)

Thats how I import staff from the container to my "normal" system
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:31:46 AM by User Name »
Try to change your attitude and not the sky above you.- Ceneca

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »
go to the windows-explorer settings; turn "show hidden files/data" on...
i.e if you want to copy and past some text from internet browser , open a text file in container copy and past it in it and save the text file .
Then go to c: you should see now VTroot open it navigate to where u have safe/stored it.  Now you can grape it and drop it where ever u want it( btw this works with any other data/file type)

Thats how I import staff from the container to my "normal" system

Alternatively, create a folder on your desktop and then exclude that folder from being virtualized.

This method can be used to get things out of the container AND get things into the container.

SETTINGS -> CONTAINMENT -> CONTAINMENT SETTINGS -> DO NOT VIRTUALIZE ACCESS TO THE SPECIFIED FILES/FOLDERS.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline markcusack

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
i copy a link in the contained browser. then i have to save it to a contained text file. then close the contained text file. then open it again. Only then can i copy the link to my real system

Or i put a shortcut to shared space on the desk top. i copy a link in the contained browser. open shared space in container by right clicking. then open the text file inside the share space. then copy the link to it, save, close. open. and copy to real system. All of this and other ways are ridiculous waste of time

Alternatively, create a folder on your desktop and then exclude that folder from being virtualized.
it won't copy into a file not virtualised. I am talking about text and link not exe files
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:41:30 PM by markcusack »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek