Author Topic: Comodo Firewall crashes Chrome 45 [merged]  (Read 8528 times)

Offline doveman

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Comodo Firewall crashes Chrome 45 [merged]
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
There's nothing in the first post, even now, that suggests the problem has been recognised as "detect shellcode injections" being active even though HIPS is disabled, so one would quite reasonably assume the fix is simply to stop chrome crashing when HIPS is enabled, perhaps by adding it to an internal exclusions list, so that users don't have to do so manually.

There are two posts from Global Moderators on this page alone (I haven't read the entire thread) saying that it's Google's problem, we shouldn't complain to Comodo and should it is noble of Comodo to provide any fix at all, which only reinforces my suspicion that the bug I'm talking about (disabling HIPS not disabling all HIPS features) is not going to be fixed.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »
Hi doveman,
It is unfortunate that with the way in which CIS interacts with other programs that after a recent Chrome update this issue occurred between the two.
Regardless of who is at fault as far as I am aware both Google and Comodo are looking into this issue, with Comodo intending to release a fix for this as soon as possible.

I do agree that it doesn't seem quite right that 'detect shellcode injections' has to be enabled for the exclusions to take affect, you would expect disabling this option would be sufficient.

Thanks.

Online EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
There's nothing in the first post, even now, that suggests the problem has been recognised as "detect shellcode injections" being active even though HIPS is disabled, so one would quite reasonably assume the fix is simply to stop chrome crashing when HIPS is enabled, perhaps by adding it to an internal exclusions list, so that users don't have to do so manually.

There are two posts from Global Moderators on this page alone (I haven't read the entire thread) saying that it's Google's problem, we shouldn't complain to Comodo and should it is noble of Comodo to provide any fix at all, which only reinforces my suspicion that the bug I'm talking about (disabling HIPS not disabling all HIPS features) is not going to be fixed.
Adding Chrome to the Exclusions of detecte shellcode injections is a workaround indeed. It happens from time to time that a program needs to be added to make it function alongside CIS. We will in that case advise to also make a bug report of the problem.

Only difference now is that it happens with a well known program and that upsets people to a level I have never witnessed when we advised lesser known programs to be added.

If you want to know a bit more about the technical side of the problem from Google's point of view you may want to read the following post.

Computer software is a highly complex world where sometimes things break or bite each other. It's the way of the software world as I have come to know it...  :-\
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:23:58 PM by EricJH »

Offline doveman

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
I am afraid you're both still missing the point I'm trying to make. What I'm saying is that I have HIPS disabled and thus any options under HIPS, including "detect shellcode injections", should be disabled, even if they are ticked, in the same way that if I disable the firewall I wouldn't expect any of the options under that to still be taking effect, even if they're ticked. The "Enable HIPS" or "Enable Traffic Filtering" options should be master switches to enable or disable those features completely, so that users don't have to go and untick every single option underneath them.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2015, 02:37:12 AM »
I am afraid you're both still missing the point I'm trying to make. What I'm saying is that I have HIPS disabled and thus any options under HIPS, including "detect shellcode injections", should be disabled, even if they are ticked, in the same way that if I disable the firewall I wouldn't expect any of the options under that to still be taking effect, even if they're ticked. The "Enable HIPS" or "Enable Traffic Filtering" options should be master switches to enable or disable those features completely, so that users don't have to go and untick every single option underneath them.
Hi doveman,
I understand and tend to agree, you would expect items under the advanced section of the HIPs settings to be disabled along with general enable/disable HIPs option.
Maybe it should state that they are not affected by the general HIPs setting if this is intended behaviour. (Example: Screenshot)
Could be something for the wishlist?
Wishlist - CIS
Required Wish Format

Kind regards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline seanof30306

Windows 10 - guard32.dll and guard64.dll crash when I try to open Chome.
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:54 AM »
I downloaded Windows 10 on Tuesday.  Restarted the computer several times, everything worked fine.

I came home from work Thursday night, and the computer had restarted.

I could not get Google Chrome to open.

I went to the PC Help Forum.  They had me run a bunch off scans, which show guard32.dll and guard64.dll crashing.  Here are the logs:

Error: (09/06/2015 08:12:23 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 45.0.2454.85, time stamp: 0x55df881b
Faulting module name: guard32.dll, version: 8.2.0.4674, time stamp: 0x55c148a3
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000269c9
Faulting process id: 0x1a5c
Faulting application start time: 0xchrome.exe0
Faulting application path: chrome.exe1
Faulting module path: chrome.exe2
Report Id: chrome.exe3
Faulting package full name: chrome.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: chrome.exe5

And

Date: 2015-09-06 10:33:12.559
Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\guard64.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

They also linked me to this:

http://malwaretips.com/threads/is-comodo-internet-security-compatible-with-windows-10.49102/

Is this correct?

Their recommendation is for me to uninstall Comodo, and install 360 Total Security.  I really like my CIS, and don't want to uninstall it, if possible.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Offline seanof30306

Re: Windows 10 - guard32.dll and guard64.dll crash when I try to open Chome.
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2015, 03:04:12 AM »
OK, I found the video posted on youtube, and it resolved it!

Thanks

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Win 10 is free only if you are a puppet
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2015, 03:17:12 AM »
I am afraid detect shellcode injections was never intend as a hips function, it was just placed there when it first was integrated into CIS it should really have it's own section, prior to this it was a totally separate process (Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware).

Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Fedora 25 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP
Centos-6.8 x32, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
Seems to me, Detect Shellcode Injections is still a separate, stand-alone security feature, that does indeed require its own heading/switch somewhere.
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Bah! Ban 'em all! The only good member is a banned member
And a member is just a policy violator who hasn't been caught yet. >:-D

Offline John Buchanan

• "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
Re: Windows 10 - guard32.dll and guard64.dll crash when I try to open Chome.
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
CIS is Windows 10 compatible.
You were pointed to an installer issue prior to the official Windows 10 release.
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Bah! Ban 'em all! The only good member is a banned member
And a member is just a policy violator who hasn't been caught yet. >:-D

Online EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
The UI is confusing with the placement of the Detect shellcode injections function.

Offline doveman

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
I'm glad there is general agreement that non-HIPS features should really be under a separate heading to avoid confusion. Hopefully in due course Comodo will be able to sort this out.

EDIT: I've created a Wish Report here now https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cis/move-nonhips-features-from-under-the-hips-section-t112897.0.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:37:03 PM by doveman »

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
I'm glad there is general agreement that non-HIPS features should really be under a separate heading to avoid confusion. Hopefully in due course Comodo will be able to sort this out.

EDIT: I've created a Wish Report here now https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cis/move-nonhips-features-from-under-the-hips-section-t112897.0.html
Thanks doveman. :-TU

Comodo Internet Security V8.2.0.4703 (Chrome Hotfix) is released!

Topic locked.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek