Author Topic: Comodo Firewall crashes Chrome 45 [merged]  (Read 9307 times)

Offline Cydone

CIS conflicting with Google Chrome
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:12 AM »
For whatever reason, CIS makes my google chrome completely stop working.  Every time I go to open Chrome, it immediately stops responding.  When I uninstall CIS, Google Chrome goes back to functioning properly.  I've tried adding exceptions in the firewall, exclusions in the anti-virus, nothing seems to work except uninstalling CIS.  I have the latest version of CIS and Chrome and the latest Virus Signatures for CIS.  I've never run into this problem before......but until it's resolved, I will have to move to another firewall/antivirus program. 

Offline Atario

Re: Comodo Firewall crashes Chrome 45 [merged]
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 05:14:02 AM »
Fascinating that completely turning off "detect shellcode injections" does not fix this…   >:(

Offline dsanchea

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 05:40:56 AM »
Rename chrome.exe to chrome2.exe, and all ok for me :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:31:44 AM by dsanchea »

Offline Paranoimia

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 06:54:24 AM »
Same here. Wondered what the hell was going on this morning when I turned on my laptop... Chrome worked fine last night, and wouldn't load this morning.

Not sure how something this glaring slips through. Hopefully it won't take long to get resolved, unlike the bug with Comodo not registering with the security centre on Vista... that's been irritating me for months now.

I've sworn by Comodo for a good number of years now, and recommended it to several others - but if obvious bugs like this keep slipping through (not to mention not getting fixed for months), I might need to consider looking elsewhere.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
Please use the following workaround for the time being:
Same Chrome 45 crash on startup prob here on Win 10 64.
Added chrome.exe to detect shellcode injections exclusion in CIS... crash prob solved.
Same here. Wondered what the hell was going on this morning when I turned on my laptop... Chrome worked fine last night, and wouldn't load this morning.

Not sure how something this glaring slips through.
Chrome's annoying autoupdate may be? It's hard to test against unreleased applications that are months ahead of the development cycle of CIS, isn't it? ;)

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: CIS conflicting with Google Chrome
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
Are you using Chrome 45? Try the following workaround:
Same Chrome 45 crash on startup prob here on Win 10 64.
Added chrome.exe to detect shellcode injections exclusion in CIS... crash prob solved.

Offline Tim Campbell

Re: guard32.dll kills Chrome 45
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
Sorry it's not the suggested format with detail but I don't have access to my PC with issues at the moment. Within the last 48 hours Chrome started conflicting in Windows 10 with Comodo. It will open briefly, display a message that it has crashed, it searches for a solution and none is provided. The windows error console reports the faulty target is Chrome.exe and the faulty file is Windows/system32/gaurd32.dll This file does not exist in my system32 folder but guard64.dll does. Uninstalling CIS allowed Chrome to operate normally. Reinstalling resulted in the same error.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:47:35 PM by Tim Campbell »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
I split and merged your post with this topic.

As a workaround add chrome.exe to Detect shellcode injections for the time being. That will do the trick. 

Offline wfh

• Chromium developer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
Please use the following workaround for the time being:Chrome's annoying autoupdate may be? It's hard to test against unreleased applications that are months ahead of the development cycle of CIS, isn't it? ;)

Comodo directly injects code into chrome.exe (the executable is targeted by name... which is why renaming it unbreaks Chrome). Any product that is so targeted to a particular application and the specific assembly code inside it (in this case, Comodo are injecting into the SSL stack in order to "Man in the Middle" your secure communications with websites such as banking), is likely to break when updates come out.  See the bug for more details of the injection happening and how it's breaking Chrome - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=527496.

We strongly advise vendors not to do this type of injection because of the adverse affect on performance, stability and security. However, if a vendor chooses to still inject into Chrome despite these negative implications, we release early versions of Chrome to our Dev and Beta channels early for compatibility testing. In fact, Chrome 45 has been in Beta since July 27 [1] so there has been plenty of time for Comodo to fix their injection and prevent this ever impacting users.

We encourage Comodo and other AV companies that insist on injecting code into Chrome to test on Dev/Beta channels to avoid this type of issue happening again.

Will

[1] http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2015/07/beta-channel-update_27.html

Offline Paranoimia

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »
Chrome's annoying autoupdate may be? It's hard to test against unreleased applications that are months ahead of the development cycle of CIS, isn't it? ;)

Well, wfh's reply has put paid to that excuse.

And that still doesn't explain why the now months-old problem of Comodo not registering with the security centre hasn't been fixed.

Offline dbarrow

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
Comodo directly modifies Chrome.exe? That's virus behavior. That pretty much does it for me with Comodo. I need to find an alternate solution immediately. I didn't realize that was what was going on. That just seems quite wrong on just about every level.

Offline saccottino2001

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
WFH writes on https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=527496 with the 64bit version of Chrome the problem is solved. I tried it and it actually works for me (Win10 64bit)

Offline pgtest70

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
Fascinating that completely turning off "detect shellcode injections" does not fix this…   >:(

Yes, just confirmed the same... Turning off HIPS and shell_code_injection test does NOT stop testing of it...

Offline pgtest70

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
Does the setting really change anything...

I have HIPS off... Shell-code-detection OFF and still I need to ADD Chrome to the exclusion list and have the checkmark on...

So something is more than broken with the controls of the Comodo program.

OFF should mean NO shell-code-detection at all ...

/PG

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
Comodo directly injects code into chrome.exe (the executable is targeted by name... which is why renaming it unbreaks Chrome). Any product that is so targeted to a particular application and the specific assembly code inside it (in this case, Comodo are injecting into the SSL stack in order to "Man in the Middle" your secure communications with websites such as banking), is likely to break when updates come out.  See the bug for more details of the injection happening and how it's breaking Chrome - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=527496.

We strongly advise vendors not to do this type of injection because of the adverse affect on performance, stability and security. However, if a vendor chooses to still inject into Chrome despite these negative implications, we release early versions of Chrome to our Dev and Beta channels early for compatibility testing. In fact, Chrome 45 has been in Beta since July 27 [1] so there has been plenty of time for Comodo to fix their injection and prevent this ever impacting users.

We encourage Comodo and other AV companies that insist on injecting code into Chrome to test on Dev/Beta channels to avoid this type of issue happening again.

Will

[1] http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2015/07/beta-channel-update_27.html
Thank you for informing. In the meanwhile a bug report has been submitted by one of the CIS users: guard32.dll kills Chrome 45.

Comodo directly modifies Chrome.exe? That's virus behavior. That pretty much does it for me with Comodo. I need to find an alternate solution immediately. I didn't realize that was what was going on. That just seems quite wrong on just about every level.
Injecting cmdguard in all executables has been used since v3.0 for as far I know (it's when I started using Comodo Firewall). It protects and helps to reduce the amount of alerts.

It's not the invasive nature of a technique that makes a program malicious. With HIPS logic certain techniques are more of risk in case the file is malicious. If you would look under the hood with a HIPS you will find regular applications using invasive techniques.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek