Author Topic: TrustConnect Feedback [old]  (Read 185451 times)

Offline Derek_DeG

Re: TrustConnect Feedback
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
Is there a difference between the free and paid versions of TrustConnect?  Because the features tab on the paid version page says it works with Windows 7, but the features tab on the free version page does not mention Windows 7; instead Vista is the latest windows OS on which it is said to work.

Offline vadim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:48 AM »
Is there a difference between the free and paid versions of TrustConnect?

https://www.comodo.com/trustconnect/faq_full.html#1.11
--
Vadim Lvovskiy
Development Manager
COMODO Group Inc.

Offline Derek_DeG

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Vadim, I read the faq paragraph you posted, but my question remains unanswered.  Let me be more specific. Can either the free or paid version (or both) be installed and used with Windows 7?  My current laptop has Windows 7 installed as its OS and I don't want to install the free version of TrustConnect on it unless I am sure that it will function properly.  Thanks.

Offline vadim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2010, 04:28:07 AM »
Can either the free or paid version (or both) be installed and used with Windows 7?  My current laptop has Windows 7 installed as its OS and I don't want to install the free version of TrustConnect on it unless I am sure that it will function properly.  Thanks.

TrustConnect (TC) Windows client is a universal program for connection to paid or free TrustConnect service,  and it's compatible with Windows 7.  You don't need to install diferent client programs for paid or free service.

You need to sign up to TC service and install TC Windows client program:
http://www.comodo.com/trustconnect/first_time.html

It's possible to start from free service. If you decide switch to the paid service you don't need to re-install or re-configure client program. Your subscription mode will be automatically detected by TC service.
--
Vadim Lvovskiy
Development Manager
COMODO Group Inc.

Offline Derek_DeG

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2010, 04:40:03 AM »
Vadim, just wanted to let you know that I did install TCfree on the Windows 7 partition on my laptop and everything went well and the VPN works fine.  Thanks.

Offline pwright99

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2010, 01:11:07 AM »
Hi, I am using the free version of TrustConnect on Vista. I checked my connections with my free Comodo firewall - I see that my Firefox connection has TCP OUT going through port 443 - so I assume that is the VPN working, right?
Now, my Windows Sidebar has TCP OUT going through port 80 - this is for the weather gadget. I stopped and started the sidebar to be sure, but it is definitely going out through 80. Is this a security problem? If you need it, I can probably reverse engineer the gadget code enough to find the call to the internet.
Similarly, my antivirus (free Avast) is also communicating through many TCP OUT port 80 connections... again, should i be worried? My antivirus was already running before I started the Trust Connect service, so maybe this is another possible security problem? Do programs that have connected to the internet before TrustConnect starts continue to run in an insecure manner?

Lastly, I just started Windows Live Mail, and got a mixed bag - some TCP OUTs were through 443, some through 80... does this mean my emails are not secure? if you need further information such as screen shots, please let me know...

Offline vadim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2010, 02:59:37 AM »
Hi, I am using the free version of TrustConnect on Vista. I checked my connections with my free Comodo firewall - I see that my Firefox connection has TCP OUT going through port 443 - so I assume that is the VPN working, right?

We really use TCP 443 port for connection to TrustConnect access servers. Because this port is usually allowed by the firewall rules (opened).

When you establish connection with TrustConnect system, all your Internet traffic goes through VPN connection. But your software use usual connection ports - 80, 8080, 25 etc.
--
Vadim Lvovskiy
Development Manager
COMODO Group Inc.

Offline pwright99

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
We really use TCP 443 port for connection to TrustConnect access servers. Because this port is usually allowed by the firewall rules (opened).

When you establish connection with TrustConnect system, all your Internet traffic goes through VPN connection. But your software use usual connection ports - 80, 8080, 25 etc.

So, are you saying that the all internet traffic is going to the VPN site? Because I am seeing the IP addresses in the Comodo firewall screen, and they are not my VPN IP. I can also use TCPview to view the connections, and I see that they are sometimes using HTTP protocol. From what you are saying, anything that is not port 443  is not going to Comodo's TrustConnect servers. So it seems like the VPN is not working for all internet traffic.

Offline vadka

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2010, 04:12:20 AM »
So, are you saying that the all internet traffic is going to the VPN site? Because I am seeing the IP addresses in the Comodo firewall screen, and they are not my VPN IP. I can also use TCPview to view the connections, and I see that they are sometimes using HTTP protocol. From what you are saying, anything that is not port 443  is not going to Comodo's TrustConnect servers. So it seems like the VPN is not working for all internet traffic.
If you haven't any preinstalled static routes all traffic is going via ssl vpn by default and it doesn't depend on port. 

Simply start your browser and open site http://whatismyip.com for example.
You should see IP address of TC access server when you're connected to TrustConnect.

Offline pwright99

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
If you haven't any preinstalled static routes all traffic is going via ssl vpn by default and it doesn't depend on port. 

Simply start your browser and open site http://whatismyip.com for example.
You should see IP address of TC access server when you're connected to TrustConnect.

To Vadka and Vadim: OK, I connect to TrustConnect - it tells me my IP is 172.20.2.xx. Then I open Comodo Firewall, and under Network Defense click the Outbound Connections, and then I am seeing everything that is going out to the internet... here's what I can see as far as TCP OUT connections:

I see trustConnect.exe, connecting to 91.212.12.xx port 443.

For Firefox.exe, I see various IP addresses relating to my open windows, all of them going through port 443. If I were not connected to TrustConnect, I see port 80. So I know that TrustConnect is affecting this traffic.

I also see wlmail.exe (Windows Live Mail), with various connections such as 65.55.74.26:80 and 64.4.56.26:80. For sidebar.exe (Windows Sidebar) I see 65.55.17.39:80 - now please tell me that wlmail.exe and sidebar.exe are secured by the VPN, because the evidence of my eyes tells me that they are NOT secured.

Offline vadim

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »
 All your  outbound connections should be the same as with established TC connection as without. TC connection it's a SSL VPN tunnel through which your data goes, but endpoint port is not changed.
--
Vadim Lvovskiy
Development Manager
COMODO Group Inc.

Offline vadka

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 05:21:53 AM »
To Vadka and Vadim: OK, I connect to TrustConnect - it tells me my IP is 172.20.2.xx. Then I open Comodo Firewall, and under Network Defense click the Outbound Connections, and then I am seeing everything that is going out to the internet... here's what I can see as far as TCP OUT connections:

I see trustConnect.exe, connecting to 91.212.12.xx port 443.

For Firefox.exe, I see various IP addresses relating to my open windows, all of them going through port 443. If I were not connected to TrustConnect, I see port 80. So I know that TrustConnect is affecting this traffic.

I also see wlmail.exe (Windows Live Mail), with various connections such as 65.55.74.26:80 and 64.4.56.26:80. For sidebar.exe (Windows Sidebar) I see 65.55.17.39:80 - now please tell me that wlmail.exe and sidebar.exe are secured by the VPN, because the evidence of my eyes tells me that they are NOT secured.

At first, your system has some network adapter(s) and virtual TAP interface.
TustConnect uses TAP interface, get your data packets, then ciphers and send ciphered packets via OUTGOING interface (your network adapter)
You saw this outgoung connection (91.212.12.xx port 443)

Connect to TrustConnect and open Comodo Firewall  Outbound Connections.
Wait a minute and look at 'Source' column.
All connections, that go via TC vpn, have IP address 172.20.xx.xx (IP address of your TAP adapter).
These connections will be ciphered.

Disconnect Trustconnect and wait a minute again.
You'll see, that all connections have IP of your network adapter, they simply go out via your network interface.

Offline pwright99

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
At first, your system has some network adapter(s) and virtual TAP interface.
TustConnect uses TAP interface, get your data packets, then ciphers and send ciphered packets via OUTGOING interface (your network adapter)
You saw this outgoung connection (91.212.12.xx port 443)

Connect to TrustConnect and open Comodo Firewall  Outbound Connections.
Wait a minute and look at 'Source' column.
All connections, that go via TC vpn, have IP address 172.20.xx.xx (IP address of your TAP adapter).
These connections will be ciphered.

Disconnect Trustconnect and wait a minute again.
You'll see, that all connections have IP of your network adapter, they simply go out via your network interface.

Thanks - at last I understand it! Yes, it's just as you said, the source for all outbound TCP is the 172.20.xx.xx address. Thank you (Vadim and Vadka) for being patient and answering my questions.

Offline Flummexed

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
Hi all,

I have a problem regarding renewing my order with TrustConnect.

I have previously created my own post:
http://forums.comodo.com/comodo-trustconnect-ctc/trustconnect-is-anybody-there-t60848.0.html

Due to lack of response (on this forum and from TrustConnect admin), I'm trying every avenue that I can.

My problem is that I just keep seeing the same error message whenever I click to 'confirm order' instead of being re-directed to PayPal to pay for my order.

I really need to get my VPN up and running again. So please, is there anybody there?

Offline AbdulAziz

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Thank you for free nice secure application.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek