Author Topic: Why is it ok?  (Read 20845 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Why is it ok?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
But not anti virus with CIS free?

CIS Premium is the Free version.

Offline pS_cis

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
The question could be rephrased as "Why are software publishers permitted to sell licenses for products which have  disclaimers that say that there is no warranty they are suitable for the purpose for which they are advertised to fulfill?"

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
The question could be rephrased as "Why are software publishers permitted to sell licenses for products which have  disclaimers that say that there is no warranty they are suitable for the purpose for which they are advertised to fulfill?"

indeed, another way of asking it...thanks!

Offline stevenp129

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:09 AM »
comodo may have a highly populated signature database, and white list (for its HIDS system), but it wasn't always this way. what makes the antivirus software better is typically contributions to the companies cloud server signature database by it's users.

the more users that participate in contributing to the database, the better the detection rate is. i personally use Avast!, and only ever considered installing comodo when my pro. licence ran out: i still use avast! for antivirus, but now use comodo too (for the firewall and HIDS).

it's usefulness is dictated by the market, and its as simple as that. furthermore, HIDS (Defense+) is NOT antivirus. as the name says, its Intrusion Detection software. it simply detects software which goes out of the regular boundaries of normal activity, and flags it if it does not.

moreover; HIDS software is A) only as accurate as is the knowledge of the system administrator who installed it, or B) only as accurate as the cloud based White list (which is usually co-dependant on, again, the community)

the fact is that there are many great anti virus solutions out there, and the only thing that makes one better than the other is either the amount of users in the user base contributing to the signature databases, or the amount of signatures the company itself is willing to pay for or manually collect.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:34:17 AM by stevenp129 »

Offline stevenp129

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
with this said, i enjoy COMODO's firewall. and its convenient built in IDS system (HIPS?). coming from a software developer and web hosting business background, i find it very much fun to over configure, and i enjoy having the control over the system in which i choose to implement.

they also have quite a nice product line. but IMO, if they bundled these features into one neat and tidy little suite, it would be much more appealing. i understand that they might be trying to reduce how "intrusive" the software is, but the fact is that all antivirus solutions are bundling these days, and its a pain having to install 5 different programs...

for example, the Cleaner, and Program Manager applications; these seem to be a good fit together, and prime directives seem somewhat orthogonal.

my final thoughts? honestly, i love the firewall, and after a hell of a time getting the HIPS system to do exactly what i wanted. i love that too. (there was no direct access the the groups editor. my white-lists were often ignored due to ordering, or race conditions. it was some what confusing.)

but the fact i still have been unable to get the sandbox to work on ANY of my machines might lead me to shelf it-

i have tried everything from a reinstall (using uninstallation tools), disabling services, applications, security mechanisms (DEP, ASLR, SEHOP,
etc), different machines, architectures (x86/64bit), all the way to attaching a debugger to see if it was failing to load a file/shared library/driver/etc.

no cigar.

Offline ubuysa

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 02:15:35 AM »
I suspect that for a large number of potential Comodo customers the idea that "you get what you pay for" still figures highly in their estimations. Even as a long-term CIS user I'm still quite amazed to find this quality of protection available for free. I think it's the "free" aspect that scares people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you stop keeping CIS free :)

Perhaps more attention might be given in your marketing to explaining why "free" doesn't mean "rubbish" (and why paying doesn't mean it's good).

Offline 使命召唤

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »
免费100% 功能强大 相信很多人选择COMODO 遍全球  打广告名气好大 在中国太猛了 厉害 可惜了 我对COMODO功能很多地方不懂 希望出中文说明书了解很多完整功能 ;D

Offline wasgij6

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
免费100% 功能强大 相信很多人选择COMODO 遍全球  打广告名气好大 在中国太猛了 厉害 可惜了 我对COMODO功能很多地方不懂 希望出中文说明书了解很多完整功能 ;D

english only in this part of the forum
| Win 10 Pro (x64) | UAC Disabled | CCAV | Intel i7 4770k | Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo | Asus GeForce GTX 780 | G.Skill TridentX 32gb RAM | Samsung 850 Pro SSD |

Offline Mr.Bond

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:46 AM »
Why is it ok to buy Antivirus products while the companies selling them are NOT prepared to stand behind their product? (eg: back their claims that they can protect the user by giving warranty/guarantee etc)?

OP It's not that they don't stand behind but you may notice that even when they advertise,k handwipes and antibacterial soaps and disinfectants they will only say it kills 99% or 99.9% of all germs and bacteria. They will never say it will kill 100% because they can't confirm that.  Same for antivirus and security. You can't test against all the threats in existence... at best you can test against all the threats you know about...which is a small subgroup of the threats in existence.

Then there's the fact that new threats pop up practically by the hour... even if you could say you can protect 100% against all the threats in existence. WIthin a day there are probably a hundred new threats in the ecosystem.

There are no guarantees possible in a chaotic and rapidly evolving system. There's also the unspoken problem that the user behaviour adds another variable they can't account for. What the user chooses to click on, run, install, etc. what other software is on the system and so forth.

Offline ubuysa

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
OP It's not that they don't stand behind but you may notice that even when they advertise,k handwipes and antibacterial soaps and disinfectants they will only say it kills 99% or 99.9% of all germs and bacteria. They will never say it will kill 100% because they can't confirm that.  Same for antivirus and security. You can't test against all the threats in existence... at best you can test against all the threats you know about...which is a small subgroup of the threats in existence.

Then there's the fact that new threats pop up practically by the hour... even if you could say you can protect 100% against all the threats in existence. WIthin a day there are probably a hundred new threats in the ecosystem.

There are no guarantees possible in a chaotic and rapidly evolving system. There's also the unspoken problem that the user behaviour adds another variable they can't account for. What the user chooses to click on, run, install, etc. what other software is on the system and so forth.

I think you've just mafe Melih's point for him. His question is designed as an intro to Comodo's containment technology. With containment you can prevent 100% of the infections, even zero-day ones. :)

Offline weworkweb

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
Is it CIS free legal to use in a small office/company environment?

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Is it CIS free legal to use in a small office/company environment?

yes

Offline weworkweb

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
Thanks.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek