Author Topic: What can you use DiskShield for?  (Read 43108 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
What can you use DiskShield for?
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
1) You want to give your computer to your kids, but you want it back in one piece and without your settings modified, without having games installed, without having all sort of crap introduced to your PC!!

Pls write your thoughts about what Diskhield can be used for.
thanks

Melih

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
Re: What can you use DiskShield for?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
you have something against kids that change your computer  ;)
My mother really needs it , I just can't stay of her pc  ;D

Xan

Offline Zero3K

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:10:26 PM »
2) Use it in place of all of your security apps. If you were to get infected, just restart and the virus(es) would be removed.

Offline DaRtH VaDeR.

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Everything in life comes to an end, exept life
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
you can use the app for testing purposes if you want some programs to test.

It is usefull if you want to be anonymousle on the web.

It is usefull if you always want the same configuration at all time on your pc.

If you want to erase all pc activity on your pc

DaRtH VaDeR says: "The path of success and progress is not to be reached by the things you have done, but by the things you will do, so think before you act,the voice of your history will confirm this fact.."

DaRtH VaDeR says: "Your system is as secure as the weakest link in your entire security"

WaterWall

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

We would like to announce that COMODO DiskShield 1.0.0.7 BETA is available for download and testing.

What is COMODO DiskShield?
----------------------------------------

COMODO DiskShield is a disk virtualization software which could protect your computer configuration instantly by turning the disks into virtual disks. With CDS, all the changes made to a disk, such as copying, deleting files/folders, formatting the disk etc. are going to be temporary.  All the changes will be eradicated when you restart the PC.

Why would you need such a product?
----------------------------------------------------

- because you don't want any changes to be made to your PC,
- because  you want to let your kids or friends mess around with your computer,
- becaue you want to browse the internet and go anywhere you like and not worry about consequences,
- because you are an educational institituion and sick and tired of support costs because users mess up the PCs,
- because you are a business and want your PCs operating at max without any changes,
- because you have an adequate imagination to find a use for it

Known Issues:
--------------------
- CDS 1.0.0.7 does not work with multi-boot Vista computers.
- CDS 1.0.0.7 does not protect against RAW disk accesses(build 8 has this feature)
- There are known incompatibility issues with various low level disk management utilities

Bug Reports:
-----------------
Please use http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_diskshield/comodo_diskshield_bug_reports-t23655.0.html to report your bugs. Our moderators collect these bugs and submit them to the devs.

BETA NOTICE: This product is intended for special users(BETA Testers) who would like to join the testing process. It may contain major bugs tht could cause serious problems and not be suitable for your everyday use yet. Please do not use it in your production machines.

Download Locations:

32-Bit Setup
------------
URL:
http://download.comodo.com/cds/download/setups/beta/DiskShield_Setup_1.0.0.7_XP_VISTA_32x_BETA.msi
Size: 1.97 MB (2,068,480 bytes)
MD5: a33718acae06f5f3ce76d16cf0f2947d
SHA1: a7983989fa5ed9d0b062ca598e95f820d8adc086

64-Bit Setup
-------------
URL:
http://download.comodo.com/cds/download/setups/beta/DiskShield_Setup_1.0.0.7_XP_VISTA_64x_BETA.msi
Size: 2.31 MB (2,422,784 bytes)
MD5: 30c83d7c0e5803a2a2df4ac1c799b524
SHA1: df8c97d70cd02a2702999d3b50f35bcce0589efc

Almost all the reasons  ;D

Offline MJ1988

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
I might need this when I'm out of the house for a few days. Usually when I come back my brother or sister uses my computer and something is wrong. Not always, but sometimes. Was completely unaware of this release.

I'll check out the bugs and might give it a shot.  (B)
Call me Matt. =P

Offline Zeus

• Comodo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:06:07 AM »
I think it's nice tool to pretect my PC from virus/Trojan/unmeant modification/installation....

My wife,My son are not able to keep their PCs clean and normal.

Offline ErikAlbert

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
I think all motivations for using CDS have been mentioned already, I can only tell my vision.

The number of threats has increased enormously, so much that it is impossible to blacklist all of them. That's why developpers of scanners have to make a choice and detect/remove the most dangerous threats only and the rest of the threats, which are not detected/removed remain on your computer.
The majority of the users (= less-knowledgeable users) don't know this, because their scanners tell them "Congrats, 0 threats found !!!" and that message gives them the illusion of having a malware-free computer, but being malware-free in your mind, doesn't mean you have a malware-free system also, although most average users like to believe this.
I consider myself as an average user with a very poor knowledge of internet, malware and anti-malware, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid and when a scanner tells me I'm malware-free, I always think "What about the threats, you didn't detect/remove ?". That kept me awake until I discovered Immediate System Recovery (ISR) softwares, like CDS.
Of course CDS is too new and still in beta, so I use another ISR-software, but that doesn't matter.

As a preparation, I first separated system and data completely for several good reasons, which also means I can now use any new ISR-software and replace any ISR-software with another one without any problems and without being worried about my data, because my data isn't an obstacle anymore in my system partition.

An ISR-software, like CDS keeps my system partition UNCHANGED during EACH reboot. Each threat "changes" your harddisk, that's how threats betray themselves, that's their weakness. Use that weakness to remove them, because the anti-dote of "change" is "anti-change" and CDS is an "anti-change" software.
CDS removes three types of threats : known threats + unknown threats + unborn threats. That's the perfect removal tool of threats of today and of any day after today in the future.
Another VERY BIG advantage of CDS is that ANY user can use it, including less-knowledgeable users.
There is alot more to tell, but that is enough for today. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:24:26 AM by ErikAlbert »

Offline Sr Lluny

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I use only the best, I use Comodo firewall
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 01:42:08 PM »
I'll use this program to test programs. If i didn't like them or have got a "present", i'll reboot and registryand/or infection cleaned.
If you install and uninstall a lot of programs( i like to do it), registry became full of trash.
And, of course, when my sister com to my house and use my PC, reboot, and possibles problems are out.

Offline Cassie

• Comodo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »
Will this program be free or commercial?

Offline Cassie

• Comodo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »
Can anybody from Comodo answer my question? Please! (:SAD)

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
Can anybody from Comodo answer my question? Please! (:SAD)

I'm not from Comodo but AFAIK Diskhield will be free
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Cassie

• Comodo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »
Great! I can't wait for a final release.  (:NRD) It seems it will work like a virtual machine. :BNC

(L)

Offline Circe

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:23 AM »
comodo's very own "Time machine" for a PC. :-TU
Comodo Internet Security.
ChromodoPrivate Internet Browser.

Offline Anathaen

• Ubuntu Lover
  • Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
I think all motivations for using CDS have been mentioned already, I can only tell my vision.

The number of threats has increased enormously, so much that it is impossible to blacklist all of them. That's why developpers of scanners have to make a choice and detect/remove the most dangerous threats only and the rest of the threats, which are not detected/removed remain on your computer.
The majority of the users (= less-knowledgeable users) don't know this, because their scanners tell them "Congrats, 0 threats found !!!" and that message gives them the illusion of having a malware-free computer, but being malware-free in your mind, doesn't mean you have a malware-free system also, although most average users like to believe this.
I consider myself as an average user with a very poor knowledge of internet, malware and anti-malware, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid and when a scanner tells me I'm malware-free, I always think "What about the threats, you didn't detect/remove ?". That kept me awake until I discovered Immediate System Recovery (ISR) softwares, like CDS.
Of course CDS is too new and still in beta, so I use another ISR-software, but that doesn't matter.

As a preparation, I first separated system and data completely for several good reasons, which also means I can now use any new ISR-software and replace any ISR-software with another one without any problems and without being worried about my data, because my data isn't an obstacle anymore in my system partition.

An ISR-software, like CDS keeps my system partition UNCHANGED during EACH reboot. Each threat "changes" your harddisk, that's how threats betray themselves, that's their weakness. Use that weakness to remove them, because the anti-dote of "change" is "anti-change" and CDS is an "anti-change" software.
CDS removes three types of threats : known threats + unknown threats + unborn threats. That's the perfect removal tool of threats of today and of any day after today in the future.
Another VERY BIG advantage of CDS is that ANY user can use it, including less-knowledgeable users.
There is alot more to tell, but that is enough for today. ;)

Very well written.
Download Linux Mint | Linux Mint is a Ubuntu derivative, only stable :)

Something no anti-virus company will fight.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek