Author Topic: COMODO DiskShield 1.0.51539.35 BETA Released  (Read 135353 times)

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
Re: COMODO DiskShield 1.0.51539.35 BETA Released
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
Hello just wondering exactly what I could use "Virtual drive" for?

Would I install web browsers or risky apps to this drive?

Does it communicate to the main drive?

I have the same question too...............

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 08:39:35 PM »
Hello just wondering exactly what I could use "Virtual drive" for?

Would I install web browsers or risky apps to this drive?

Does it communicate to the main drive?

Lets say you want to use CDS permanently and you use the PC/Laptop for your stuff and create docs, have music etc. You want a drive that does not get resetted at every startup! So by having this virtual drive and using it as lets say "my documents" folder, then you can do whatever you like to your system and let your system recover using CDS at the next start up without loosing your docs etc that are stored in this virtual drive!. (its don't reset this drive kind of drive! its a persistent drive that keeps the data and doesn't get reset).

Melih

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
Just tried it and I think it is GREAT!!!  I like the Virtual Drive and Session.  Still downloading CIS............

Offline Rhaegar

• Comodo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:12 PM »
     Congratulations on the new release!!  A question to the regular users of CDS.  Aside from allowing you to make virtual drives, do you have the option of protecting a specific drive for a multi partition/physical drive system?  For example, my system has two drives, the system drive and the data drive and only want to protect the system drive/partition.  So basically by only protecting the system partition, I can save all downloads to the data drive without making a virtual drive.  Is this possible with the current build of CDS?  Thanks!!!

Rhaegar

Offline fOrTy_7

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 03:43:31 AM »
Lets say you want to use CDS permanently and you use the PC/Laptop for your stuff and create docs, have music etc. You want a drive that does not get resetted at every startup! So by having this virtual drive and using it as lets say "my documents" folder, then you can do whatever you like to your system and let your system recover using CDS at the next start up without loosing your docs etc that are stored in this virtual drive!. (its don't reset this drive kind of drive! its a persistent drive that keeps the data and doesn't get reset).

Melih

Why to bother with virtual drive in this scenario which is dependent on 3rd party software looking from OS point of view. It is much more simple to use your second hard drive or second partition. Computers with one hard drive which has just one partition are very rare in these days.

I think most people would like to have an option to exclude some folders and/or files from shielded partition without a need to move or reinstall software to a second partition whether it is virtual or real one. Exluding folders and files from shielded partition should be transparent for a user and system. Returnil 2.0 beta has similar function. I wonder why it isn't included in CDS nor even considered to be added. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:13:41 AM by fOrTy_7 »

Offline munckman

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 07:06:17 AM »
Hi Guys,

I would like to announce the availability of COMODO DiskShield 1.0.51539.35 BETA.

What's New?
=========
NEW! Session Saving: CDS now allows administrators to save the sessions
NEW! Virtual Drives: You can define a virtual drive in which all the data will persist after a reboot
IMPROVED! Raw disk access handling
FIXED! Many bugs reported with the previous BETA have been fixed

============

Regards,
Egemen

I applaud that Comodo is seriously interested in developing a virtualization product. This endeavor truly interests me, however, COMODO DiskShield  should, in my opinion, stop all development of "Virtual Drives" as a means to accomplish this or at least limit their use markedly. They are inconvenient, cumbersome, and just not a viable solution for  "save - across - reboot" solutions for the average user. Virtual  Drives will confuse many...  needlessly.

I hope ya'll the best but there are products available that dismiss the the notion of V-Drives. The ones I like are geared towards the "User." The key is simplicity. Please reconsider the use of V-Drives as the primary way to accomplish "save - across - reboot".

I know that a "save - across - reboot" solution is is the Holy Grail of light virtualization but it should (must) be easy and intuitive for the users and without the dependency of virtual drives. There lies the rub... None have found a  reliable way yet.

Best wishes

Offline The Joker

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Let’s put a smile on that face!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »
Why to bother with virtual drive in this scenario which is dependent on 3rd party software looking from OS point of view. It is much more simplier to use your second hard drive or second partition. Computers with one hard drive which has just one partition are very rare in these days.

I think most people would like to have an option to exclude some folders and/or files from shielded partition without a need to move or reinstall software to a second partition whether it is virtual or real one. Exluding folders and files from shielded partition should be transparent for a user and system. Returnil 2.0 beta has similar function. I wonder why it isn't included in CDS nor even considered to be added. 

+1
HP Pavilion DV4 2040BR l Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium x64 l CIS 7.0 BETA (Proactive Security) (AV: Stateful l FW: Safe Mode l HIPS: Safe Mode l Sandbox: Fully Virtualized)

It's all part of the plan!

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
Why to bother with virtual drive in this scenario which is dependent on 3rd party software looking from OS point of view. It is much more simplier to use your second hard drive or second partition. Computers with one hard drive which has just one partition are very rare in these days.

all these features will come in good time...

I think we are making some amazing progress in such short period of time and what we release is not the end of development, but just the beginning! So keep your wishlists coming and you will the product flourishing!

thanks
Melih

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »
This is going to be one of Comodo's greatest products, I'm pretty sure of that so far...  :-TU

QUESTION:

Is the 'Registry' Protected also? I presume it is, I just want to be sure.

afaik yes..
we even formatted the protected drive and then pressed restart :) and voila!!! it started as if nothing had happened!!! :)

Melih

Offline Rhaegar

• Comodo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 11:39:26 PM »
Yes.

In theory, I have Two Partitions on one Logical Drive (it's actually a RAID config', but no difference in this case). As you can see, the Secondary Partition can be 'Protected' or 'Not Protected'... (Same applies for the 'C:\'.)

So it seems, the 'Virtual Drive' is only really for people who NEED it; people with only One Partition and no other Drives.

Which is great IMO, because I can carry on using my PC as normal, without the need for a 'Virtual Drive', but with the 'C:\' Protected by CDS!  ;D

I think the only issues I may have are...

• 'Peer Guardian 2' Updates.
  • 'BOClean' Updates.
  • 'CIS Signature' Updates.
  • IE7 Cache, Cookies, Temp' Internet Files. (I may delete this one. I think I can change the Path's; pointing to the Secondary Partition.)
  • Slightly a little more than usual HDD activity; barely noticeable though...

J2897,

Thanks for the clarification!  So it's like the pro version of Returnil.  Can't wait for this to come out of beta!

Rhaegar

Offline fOrTy_7

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 02:10:37 AM »
all these features will come in good time...

I think we are making some amazing progress in such short period of time and what we release is not the end of development, but just the beginning! So keep your wishlists coming and you will the product flourishing!

thanks
Melih

Well, if that is the case then I hope to see all these new features soon. :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:12:28 AM by fOrTy_7 »

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »
afaik yes..
we even formatted the protected drive and then pressed restart :) and voila!!! it started as if nothing had happened!!! :)

Melih
Wow...how is that possible?  I mean, how can you save the changes to nowhere?

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Wow...how is that possible?  I mean, how can you save the changes to nowhere?

try it! on a machine that you can try a beta product on.. not on something you use though.. :)

Melih

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
try it! on a machine that you can try a beta product on.. not on something you use though.. :)

Melih

I meant, were are the formatted files saved (if the drive is formatted, were will you put the cache)?

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
I think 'format.exe' thinks its formatting the HDD, but what its really formatting, is just a VM. What you see on your screen, is also just a VM (when CDS is 'Enabled' of coarse). So nothing really happens to the genuine files, they are just removed from 'the copy'/'the cache file' that's all.

(I think the Cache File is a Duplicate of your HDD which is being writen as you use your PC.)

So basicaly, you're just formatting the Cache File, and not the actual Drive itself.

... This is a guess though, I could easily be wrong.  :P

Maybe its real Magic!!? ;D

Ok, thanks.  And how big is this cache?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek