Mid 2010 MacBook Pro w/ OS X Mountain Lion Crashes when Comodo is Installed

I’m not sure if anyone has experienced this issue but I recently downloaded Comodo Antivirus on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro w/ Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and it made it unusable. I had Comodo installed with my previous OS version (10.6 Snow Leopard) and everything worked perfectly fine - I was always happy with it.

I didn’t realize it at the time but, as soon as I downloaded Comodo, Chrome stopped working - it couldn’t load any sites, then my laptop would freeze up and stop responding all together and had to be restarted. I didn’t know what caused it at the time so I deleted Chrome and temporarily moved to Safari. I had almost thing happen in Safari. I could load some pages but once again my laptop would freeze up, the rainbow wheel would appear and that was it. I tried hard reset, running the hardware test nothing worked. My MacBook would freeze up a couple minutes after turning back on.

I uninstalled Comodo because it was the last application I downloaded before the issues began and everything went back to normal. I’ve had no issues since.

After such a situation the best way to find a reason is to look in the logs of a security product.

You could use the time before a returning freeze, to disable the security. So you have time to look.

Dont connect your computer to the internet without a running firewall.

One of our users with OSX 10.8.2 had similar issues and ended up uninstalling CAVM to resolve it.