How To Install CAVL On Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (And Derivatives)...

The filesytem filter driver install failure was driving me crazy. I have two computers with Ubuntu MATE 14.04.1 LTS installed on them. On one, the filesystem filter driver installed just fine. On the other, I could never install the filesystem filter driver. I had to sit back and think what the difference was between the two computers not counting hardware. On the one that works, I have VirtualBox installed from the Ubuntu Software Center (USC) whereas on the one that wasn’t working, I didn’t have it installed. So I opened up USC and installed VirtualBox and VIOLA! I was able to install the filesystem driver filter. Apparently VirtualBox has dependencies which CAVL needs. So here is how to install CAVL along with the modified filesystem filter driver (driver.tar) made by KINTA-JAPAN…

1. Open USC, search for VirtualBox, and install it.
  2. Download CAVL then open the file using USC. Do not open CAVL after the install finishes.
  3. Download the modified “driver.tar” file at http://www.bondoffamily-net.com/~kinta-chan/techknow/Linux/RedirFS/DownLoad.html (you will want the latest BETA version). It should save to the /home/YOU/Downloads folder.
  4. With your file browser, open the /home/YOU/Downloads folder and right-click on “driver.tar” to COPY it.
  5. Go up to / and right-click on the OPT folder to open it as Administrator. Enter your password.
  6. Open the COMODO folder within the OPT folder so you have /opt/COMODO open.
  7. Paste the modified “driver.tar” file into /opt/COMODO over-writing the one already there.
  8. Open Terminal.
  9. Type in… sudo /opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh

You will be forced to go through the unnecessarily long license. Type Y when prompted, hit ENTER to accept, enter your e-mail address (optional), hit ENTER, select your language, and hit ENTER. The filesystem filter driver should install. Close Terminal then open CAVL. You will need to update the definitions and do an initial scan. After doing so, you will need to reboot. You will then re-open CAVL after the reboot and see the COMODO Shield at the top left is green saying “All systems are active and running” so you know the filesystem filter driver installed and is working correctly. Don’t forget to do your virus scanner settings as well. I like to use HIGH heuristics and cloud scanning along with the default settings with the exception of having threats automatically quarantined.

I continued to get error after this. I then ran the “fix_rebuild_driver.sh” on the download page and no more error. Using Mint 17.1 64bit. I opened the download folder in terminal and ran " sudo sh fix_rebuild_driver.sh ". It completed succesfully and then I restarted Comodo.
Running the command “sudo fix_rebuild_driver.sh” (without the additional sh) yielded command not found.

Yeah it pointless to beat a dead horse. COMODO obviously doesn’t care about Linux so why should we try to make it work? If you use a Ubuntu derivative, just open the Ubuntu Software Center and install ClamTk. It works fine for manual scanning but there is no real-time protection. Then again, Linux doesn’t have much malware and if a vulnerability is discovered, you simply update Ubuntu with the Software Updater which has a Security repository. You should be checking for updates with the Software Updater at least once a week.

Thanks for posting this information. Very helpful. I recently updated one of my servers to Ubuntu 15.04, and would like to see if anyone has got the realtime scanning working on it yet. I have been able to get the realtime scanning working perfectly on all my 14.04 builds, but 15.04 eludes me as of yet, even using the beta updates. Any help is appreciated!