Disabling CAVL Mail Gateway Service

Since I don’t run a mail server I assume it is OK to disable the mail gateway service from starting on boot? Otherwise it just seems to use a surprising amount of cpu and memory for no obvious reason.

It appears that it is OK. I’ve done it and see no obvious downside (other than the big red X in the GUI saying Mail gateway is not running). On demand an on-access scanning are both still effective and catch the eicar test file.

Thanks maglin for this topic. I was hunting down the forum for a question like that, because i had the same idea.
I wonder how many linux users use Comodo Antivirus for Linux ?
I think there are not to many, right ? I don’t know why, perhaps they don’t trust a closed source software ?
I don’t like closed source software, too but i think Comodo Antivirus is a great free software with all its features.
It should be better promoted.

Coming back to your topic: It is correct, the downside of disabling the CAVL Mail Gateway Service is that CAVL grumps
about it in the GUI, preventing to display other messages while the service is deactivated !

Comodo - I think, there should be an option to disable CAVL Mail Gateway Service in the GUI for the simple reason as there is NO NEED FOR SUCH A THING for a normal user who does not operate his own mail server (he is only using the mail server of his provider or some webbased service for his mails).

At the moment, there is no such option, and we want to disable that CAVL Mail Gateway Service.
I am on Kubuntu 14.04, so the following commands (use a console, shell etc. for them) can probably be different on your linux distribution. You need to know the root password (we are using sudo here) and of course your normal user needs to have the rights to switch to root in a console or shell…

To disable the whole CAVL Mail Gateway Service for the current session while having Comodo Antivirus running start a shell or console and type:

sudo /etc/init.d/cmdmgd stop

It should respond with:

Stopping cmgdaemon: The cmgdaemon stopped successfully!

Now, when you go back to Comodo Antivirus GUI it says “Mail Gateway is not running” with a big red warning shield (this is what annoys me, it should be enough information for the user to display that the service is stopped in the bottom area (this is what Comodo Antivirus already does) instead of preventing any other important messages until the services is not enabled again).

To disable CAVL Mail Gateway Service permanently start a shell or console and type:

sudo update-rc.d -f cmdmdg remove

It should respond with:

Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/cmdmdg ...

What does it mean ? The CAVL Mail Gateway Service is now permanently disabled, it won’t be activated at system start.
(Of course, in the GUI it still grumps about the missing service).

Reenable it with:

sudo update-rc.d cmdmdg defaults

By the way, CAVL Mail Gateway Service eats up CPU while running (not much), but as far as i can see the other daemon, cmdagent (cmdavd) sucks up to ten percent sometimes.

To temporarily disable both services for the current session (to have full cpu power or maybe saving battery on your notebook/netbook) you can use the following in a shell or console:

sudo /etc/init.d/cmdavd stop
sudo /etc/init.d/cmdmgd stop

To enable them again for the current session, type:

sudo /etc/init.d/cmdavd start
sudo /etc/init.d/cmdmgd start

Of course, you can put those commands in a *.sh file in your /home/user directory (don’t forget to make these files executable first) and call the from the menu of your OS (KDE for a example, or any other program like a good configurable file manager (Worker, Dolphin, Krusader etc.)

I hope, my 2 Cents of knowledge can help somebody…

I suspect the reason there aren’t many users is that it won’t run in real-time on the current release of any of the major linux distros (unless you apply an unofficial redirect driver patch - which is hardly ideal). Kernel support stopped at 3.5.

I suspect that CAVL is in the COMODO category of ‘no longer actively supported but not quite dead’.

This is a shame, because the death of xp has brought a lot of new linux users, many of whom, having a windows background, are asking where the linux AV is. This probably would have been a big opportunity for CAVL.

The likely reason why the product is no longer developed (if it isn’t simple lack of uptake) is the failure of one of the open source products it depended on - see the bottom of this thread
https://forums.comodo.com/comodo-antivirus-for-linux-cavl/filesystem-filter-driver-not-loaded-t97977.0.html;msg706942#msg706942