Different behaviour for new certificate

Hello

We’ve used a Comodo code signing certificate for the past 4 yes or so and everything was fine. I’ve just renewed for a further 3 years and a colleague is having a problemon their Win 8.1 PC

The Application (Windows 32 bit exe) code signing appears to go well and running the installer on my Windows 7 PC everything is fine, Windows will say say who the installer is from (us). When 2 colleagues run the installer on their Win 8.1 PCs, they get a big purple banner saying Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognised application from starting. The same installer created with our old certificate, 10 days ago does not generate this warning.

Examining the certificates in the 2 installers, shows:

Old:

Signature Algorithm: sha1RSA
Issuer: COMODO Code Signing CA 2
Authority Key Identifier: different to new cert

New:

Signature Algorithm: sha256RSA
Issuer: COMODO RSA Code Signing CA
Authority Key Identifier: different to old cert

Can anyone tell me why we’re getting different behaviour from this new certificate? Have I exported it (from IE) incorrectly? have I selected the wrong details when ordering it? Does Windows need an update?

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

We are newbies in code signing certificate.
Now we have 1st code signing certificate from COMODO.
The Issuer say: “COMODO RSA Code Signing CA” and we have same case.

“Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognised application from starting” with in a big wide message.

Thanks for any help.

This morning without we do nothing, everything works fine. No warnings messages, no big screens etc.

super…!

Hello OrsonKart,

We've used a Comodo code signing certificate for the past 4 yes or so and everything was fine. I've just renewed for a further 3 years and a colleague is having a problemon their Win 8.1 PC.

I have same case.

How did you solve your problem?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Christophe

Does it take a day or two for the certificate to get propagated or your app to be trusted universally?

It all depends on Microsoft’s, largely arbitrary, reputation system and how “visible” your signature is in the world. Some are few minutes, some a few weeks. :frowning:

I did find this note while doing further research:

App says "Windows Smartscreen Prevented...": In general, SmartScreen Protection shows the above message when you try to run a newly released program or an application that has not yet established a reputation.