Author Topic: Windows Vista? [RESOLVED]  (Read 8479 times)

Offline rgreene501

• Comodo Loves me
  • Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Windows Vista? [RESOLVED]
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »
The only product I've been able to find so far is Trend Micro's Internet Security v14.  I'm not a fan of Trend (used to be), but they are generally less intrusive than Symantec or McAfee.  I installed it today and haven't seen any problems yet, but would prefer a few more choices.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:18:16 PM by mike6688 »
Pull my finger for my public key

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Windows Vista?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
Hi,

There are no versions of CPF or CAVS that are available yet for Windows Vista but I believe there will be in early 2007.

Thanks,

Justin

Offline benjaminrwalker

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »
Isn't that when Vista is scheduled to come out or has Microsoft pushed that date back?  If we don't get some good AV prog's out soon the virus makers will be way ahead of us before Vista is released.
I know this version of CAV 1.1 will install on Vista, but it causes problems with accessing the internet and launching programs such as regedit or IE.  Even if you go into CMD and type ping it will not work.

Benjamin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 01:46:59 PM by benjaminrwalker »

Offline rgreene501

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
For now, you can run Trend's beta 14.  It's good till October.

Offline justin

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:56:20 AM »
I've read where allot of people have had success with AVG and Vista

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34091

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:32:33 PM »
Hi,

Also, there is avast! which is free and works well with Vista according to reviews.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-antivirus-and-windows-vista.html

www.avast.com

Mike
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

Offline Mad_M0nk

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:16:04 AM »
I'm currently running Vista in a MS VM, with Avast. It seems to be working ok.

Is there any hope of Comodo folliwing suit and bringing out a version that supports Vista?

Regards,

M0nk.

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm currently running Vista in a MS VM, with Avast. It seems to be working ok.

Is there any hope of Comodo folliwing suit and bringing out a version that supports Vista?

Regards,

M0nk.

Hi,

Yes from what I have heard Comodo is scheduling a Vista compatible version of Comodo Antivirus around January. January is the month that Vista will be generally available. Of course the corporate and business versions will be released first, I believe in November but don't hold me to that. But you must remember that Vista is not yet released and it will be a good year after it is released before a lot of programs are available for it.

P.S. What do you think of the current Beta? Is it stable? Would you consider upgrading to it after it has been released? How does it run?

Offline rgreene501

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 05:54:10 PM »
What do you think of the current Beta? Is it stable? Would you consider upgrading to it after it has been released? How does it run?

In between blue screens, beta 2 build 5384 is very stable.  It runs till it doesn't run any more, then in typical Windows fashion, you reboot.  This happens every few days.  An application will stop responding (IE7, Outlook 2007, etc...) and then the blue screen strikes.  No data lost, but it does get annoying.  Upon reboot, it goes through the motions of reporting the problem and occasionally it will give a helpful response like "fixed in the next beta".  More often though, it's some nebulous claim like "caused by a device driver" or even less information than that.

I will not upgrade.  I'll end up with it though because it will be the default installation from the Dell's of the world and my clients will require me to support it.  Sometimes progress isn't.

BTW:  I hate how they have moved menus again.  It's counter intuitive.  Of course I define intuitive as the way things have been before.  I'll end up with a bunch of non-billable calls just telling people where things are.

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 12:07:54 AM »
In between blue screens, beta 2 build 5384 is very stable.  It runs till it doesn't run any more, then in typical Windows fashion, you reboot.  This happens every few days.  An application will stop responding (IE7, Outlook 2007, etc...) and then the blue screen strikes.  No data lost, but it does get annoying.  Upon reboot, it goes through the motions of reporting the problem and occasionally it will give a helpful response like "fixed in the next beta".  More often though, it's some nebulous claim like "caused by a device driver" or even less information than that.

I will not upgrade.  I'll end up with it though because it will be the default installation from the Dell's of the world and my clients will require me to support it.  Sometimes progress isn't.

BTW:  I hate how they have moved menus again.  It's counter intuitive.  Of course I define intuitive as the way things have been before.  I'll end up with a bunch of non-billable calls just telling people where things are.

Thanks,

I will keep that in mind, I will most likely stay with XP for a good while, even though I have a plan that I really think will work in getting Vista free, but even if I do get it I will still stick with XP until Vista has proven to be more stable and the applications get there.

Offline rgreene501

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 02:17:56 AM »

Thanks,

I will keep that in mind, I will most likely stay with XP for a good while, even though I have a plan that I really think will work in getting Vista free, but even if I do get it I will still stick with XP until Vista has proven to be more stable and the applications get there.

GAAK!!!  A blue screen while posting a response about blue screens...  It's a Microsoft conspiracy...

I was posting some really insightful stuff, but now I'm irked, so I'll just say that you can download the latest Vista beta or order the DVD's from Microsoft (you get the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions together.)  In the US, the cost is around $10 and you get a license for 10 computers.  If you need more, just register again and you'll get another certificate with a new license for 10 more.

I have hot-swap drive trays that I use for testing like this.  That way, if I hose an installation, it's a quick replacement to get me back to a working system.  I then re-clone to replace the bad installation on a spare machine.

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 05:53:53 PM »
GAAK!!!  A blue screen while posting a response about blue screens...  It's a Microsoft conspiracy...

Hmmm maybe Mr. Gates likes blue.

As for me getting the Beta, I think I'm fine with XP, I will wait until Vista is gold until I go through with my plan.

Offline rgreene501

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Windows Vista? (Blue screens resolved)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »
During the dump, it blamed ndis.  The web link provided on reboot blamed the video.  Removing Trend Micro's PC-Cillin 14 fixed it.  It has been two days now without a blue screen (had been happening every hour or so and was getting worse with each update.)

So...  get crackin on a Vista release  ;D

comicfan2000

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »
 While reading the requests for a Vista version Comodo, etc...I think some may be missing a large fact here, Vista is completely beta right now. This means, it is simply in existence and nothing more.  They may in fact make some major changes to the system or scrap it all together. 

It was actually supposed to follow XP but I guess got pushed back. It was almost thrown to the MS dog pit but seems is still in the works. I think with Vista and all the issues surrounding it, vienna may be a good backup. I don't know where the name came from but it sounds more like Gates is into a Lara Croft type scenario on this one. Tomb Raider-the whistler-blackcomb-vienna trilogy.

If you read up on it, it's history, it's actually older than XP. The reason I say this is because I see the Windows ME riot happening, everyone ran for it simply because it was new (and I don't just mean here on this forum) and were very dissapointed.  I won't throw my technical opinions at anyone on ME or Vista for the sake of an eternal discussion being brought forth.  What I will say is this...

Would it be wise for anyone to create an application that works with Vista when in truth the whole concept could be scrapped or changed drastically leaving others who built programs to work on Vista to stew in their "oh great, now we have to rebuild the whole program" juices. 
 Vista has went under many aliases, and has indeed almost been scrapped a few times and the possibility is here. I fear that many simply want a new OS and will accept anything without digging into what the OS is built on or future problems. I get many who say, "it's great! awesome!" and blindly accept it's many short comings.  They claim high security, but I will take a guess and say Vista will (if goes through) be extremely unsecure, moreso than they figure. The compatability issues will be many, more than XP.  I don't say this for argument sake, but as a point to why (especially in BETA form) when nothing is certain, would I personally want to go through the trouble of building an application to work with this right now. So while it's great to love a product from Comodo, (in my opinion only) I would not find it to be in their best intrest right now, from quite a few stand points.

Thanks,

Paul    (B)

comicfan2000

Re: Windows Vista? [RESOLVED]
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 02:44:03 PM »
Sorry for posting here, didn't see the RESOLVED before.

Paul

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek