Author Topic: Updated! CPF 2.3.1.20 BETA is available!(Removed CPF 2.3.0.19 BETA)  (Read 16971 times)

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
Re: CPF 2.3.1.20 BETA is available!
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2006, 10:24:35 AM »
I would like to respectfully request that new BETA releases are posted to a seperate (new) topic, rather than editting an existing one. I only noticed because someone mentioned it in another topic.

BTW I noticed that the Scan for know applications only seems look on the C drive. That misses quite a bit on my system. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want CPF to scan my whole system. Maybe allowing the user to specify a drive or drives to scan would be better?

I've had this problem with every version of CPF I've installed.  I'm now on the latest beta version and all I see is my C: partition in the rapidly updating list of files CPF is scanning.  I have many other partitions with lots of programs on them.  It fails to scan them.

Also IEXPLORE.EXE is located on my C: partition which is being scanned.  Then why when I fire up IE do I get a popup?  I thought automatic scanning is supposed to set all the proper rules for you?  Certainly CPF must recognize IE as a safe application although I bet you FireFox fans out there will probably say CPF is doing the right thing.  :D

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
Re: Updated! CPF 2.3.1.20 BETA is available!(Removed CPF 2.3.0.19 BETA)
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »
Hi streetwolf

I've had this problem with every version of CPF I've installed.  I'm now on the latest beta version and all I see is my C: partition in the rapidly updating list of files CPF is scanning.  I have many other partitions with lots of programs on them.  It fails to scan them.

At least I'm not alone in this then. Since it works for other users, I guess we'd better seek a connection.. what OS and AV are you running?

Also IEXPLORE.EXE is located on my C: partition which is being scanned.  Then why when I fire up IE do I get a popup?  I thought automatic scanning is supposed to set all the proper rules for you?  Certainly CPF must recognize IE as a safe application although I bet you FireFox fans out there will probably say CPF is doing the right thing.  :D

As it happens, I do use Firefox. Fortunately, I don't suffer any IE-phobia. So, I also run IE. I've also had lots of pop-ups from IE (and other programs). They're normally concerning contact with the DNS with CPF stating that some program, or another.. many seem to do it.. has modifed explorer.exe (the parent) or used OLE. Examples of the modifying programs are things like SysInternals Process Explorer. But, I'm assuming at this point, that CPF is remembering these & they will eventually stop. Of course, it doesn't help when CPF suffers complete memory loss evertime I install a new version. The price of BETA testing. ;D
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2006, 11:55:24 AM »
I'm running XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates found at the Windows Update site.

My AV is AVG Pro.  The paid version not the freebie.

I have 2 physical IDE drives, 1 physical SATA drive and 2 USB drives.  As I said I only see things being scanned on my C: partition (1st IDE physical drive) which is my boot and system partition.  This also contains my E: partition.

My 2nd IDE physical drive contains 3 partitions, D:, H: I:.

My 3rd physical drive is an SATA drive.  Contains K: and P:.

USB drives #1 is J:.  USB drive #2 is T:.

To recap, all I see being scanned is my c: drive.  Perhaps if there was a log file to see what was scanned that would help.  Also I feel there should be more options as to what drives/partitions are to be scanned as other Firewalls do.

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »
I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 (also fully updated) & my AV is avast! HE 4.7. I also have 2 physical IDE drives, with the primary being partitioned.

I don't have any SATA or USB drives.

So, to rule something out.. does anyone with multiple IDE's, have CPF's Scan for know applications scanning more than just the C drive?
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
I just read the help on scanning for known applications and it states:

"The wizard will search your system for applications it recognizes and will then ask you if you want to grant the permissions it needs to operate."

I can't recall ever receiving one of these messages even for my C: partition.  And looking at my application list after running the Wizard I do not see any new entries at all.

This feature is definitely not working as expected on my system.

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
"The wizard will search your system for applications it recognizes and will then ask you if you want to grant the permissions it needs to operate."

Really? I've also not seen any confirmation messages. It could just be the BETA. But, I don' remember seeing any confirmations in the release version either.

However, the scan did find a couple known-applications on my C drive & create the entries in CPF.

Another thing that I did notice was that the Scan for know applications scanned the $UNINSTALL directories. IMHO, I don't think it should do that.
Forum Policy.
____

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2006, 04:50:54 PM »
As previously reported for 2.3.0.19, the Max Log Size is still resetting to 5MB in 2.3.1.20 on restarts/reboots.

Additionally, despite the log view setting being set to Today (currently 17-Jul-2006 for me), the log is still displayng all the records for yesterday (16-Jul-2006).
Forum Policy.
____

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 02:42:24 AM »
Additionally, despite the log view setting being set to Today (currently 17-Jul-2006 for me), the log is still displayng all the records for yesterday (16-Jul-2006).

OK, I figured this out. Today doesn't mean "today", it actually means in the "Last 24 Hours".
Forum Policy.
____

Offline kda

• Comodo Member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2006, 03:48:23 PM »
Hi Edgemen.

A small issue I guess.  This latest beta (as well as previous versions) has a dialog box "jumping" problem.

When CPF flashes the dialog screen asking me to allow / deny [ remember ] the dialog box appears in the lower right of my monitor screen. 

When I click that dialog box (and focus shifts to it) the dialog box typically jumps to the right so that about half of the box is off of the screen. I then must grab the title bar and drag the dialog box back onto the screen where I can see my options and make my selections. 

Anyone else experiencing this?  Perhaps it is because I run the monitor at 1920 x 1200 (Dell wide-screen) ... nVidia video cards in SLI with the latest drivers. 

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2006, 04:02:12 PM »
Anyone else experiencing this?  Perhaps it is because I run the monitor at 1920 x 1200 (Dell wide-screen) ... nVidia video cards in SLI with the latest drivers.

I've not seen this at 1280x1024 using nVidia. I don't use X-Mouse or the mouse snap to thing. Which, I guess, might influence this.
Forum Policy.
____

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek