Author Topic: Threatcast - Option or Permanent Addition to Comodo Firewall  (Read 34116 times)

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
Re: Threatcast - Option or Permanent Addition to Comodo Firewall
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 04:51:32 AM »
I'd also like to see TC as an optional component.

One thing I could suggest would be to not display TC stats until the stats for a particular app had reached a certain level.

For example, if I'm the first person to get a zero day malware and I accidentally allow it, others would then get a postive response from TC that may lead them to also accept it. This could then escalate ad infinitum. If, however, there had to be X number of responses recevied by the TC servers before it displayed stats (in this case the Security Considerations tab would be bought to the front), users would not get a TC response and would need to rely on the Security Considerations info, which would hopefully indicate it was malware.

What think?
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline grayhair

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 06:09:07 AM »
  Well, I think this has potential, but I do agree with Ewen.

One thing I could suggest would be to not display TC stats until the stats for a particular app had reached a certain level.

For example, if I'm the first person to get a zero day malware and I accidentally allow it, others would then get a postive response from TC that may lead them to also accept it. This could then escalate ad infinitum. If, however, there had to be X number of responses recevied by the TC servers before it displayed stats (in this case the Security Considerations tab would be bought to the front), users would not get a TC response and would need to rely on the Security Considerations info, which would hopefully indicate it was malware.

What think?

I have put this Beta on my wife's Vista.  She complains a lot about "all these windows pop up, and I don't know how to answer them...can't you just make them go away?"  Putting CFP in Clean mode has helped her some, maybe this will help her make decisions on the few windows that still pop up.

Keep up the good fight.    (:CLP)

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »

What think?

I think that is a good idea especially when you get alerts like this one I though if you want to run Msconfig you have to allow it access to the service control manager or maybe not.
Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.9 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 33 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »
You can stratify the response of the threadcast i.e. based on their competency.  In this example you can define several group during the threadcast registration.  When they register  they may put their status as example group 1 are expert user, group 2 are programmers, group 3 are common users etc.   You can define that group to the most suitable group from Comodo perspective.  Then we can see the statistic, don't forget to put the overall group result.

Good luck!  Keep the good work!

Very much so: different kind of user (Expert user etc) is already in the plan..

keep the ideas coming pls..
thanks
Melih

Offline Matty_R

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • How long is a piece of string?
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »
A "send or not to send option"  i think this is something that needs to be added.If you block something deliberately even though you know its a safe application,could be miscontrued.
A tick box asking if you would like this answer to be considered.

Happy Easter,

Matty
A couple of computers :P

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »
A "send or not to send option"  i think this is something that needs to be added.If you block something deliberately even though you know its a safe application,could be miscontrued.
A tick box asking if you would like this answer to be considered.

Happy Easter,

Matty

noted. we have a solution that will address this in the upcoming versions.

melih

Offline Info-Sec

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Other thoughts.  As always a community driven security program, has its faults.  For example, if a series of people just hit 'allow' 'allow' for everything, even if the files aren't safe, how do you suppose you can secure other people?

Is this community protection based on majority, or COMODO certified definitions?
*Vista *CFP V3 *Avira * Avast *Spyware Doctor
*XP *Zone Alarm PRO *NOD32 V2.7 *Spysweeper

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
Other thoughts.  As always a community driven security program, has its faults.  For example, if a series of people just hit 'allow' 'allow' for everything, even if the files aren't safe, how do you suppose you can secure other people?

Is this community protection based on majority, or COMODO certified definitions?

We will add a layer protection so that community decisions are good.

Melih

Offline skylights

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »
Adding human expert analysis is fine, but the database would contain millions of programs. How many employees does Comodo have? That can be only part of the solution. I wish that only knowledgeable experts from the Comodo community had been invited to participate in the beta, which would've provided a solid foundation for ThreatCast. Maybe the DB could be reset, and future betas could be for invited experts only?

What I really hope Melih has in mind, though, is to implement Prevx-like features. Comodo should study Prevx closely, it's pretty amazing.

Someone

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
However, it is an EXCELLENT idea that the Comodo experts monitor responses.  You guys are very likely to spot the errors that users might make when things are not so obvious.
Send for analysis- trusted then-  safelist / malware then - AV.
Why do i need TC..

I certainly want the option not to install it. That's one more option..

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
Adding human expert analysis is fine, but the database would contain millions of programs. How many employees does Comodo have? That can be only part of the solution. I wish that only knowledgeable experts from the Comodo community had been invited to participate in the beta, which would've provided a solid foundation for ThreatCast. Maybe the DB could be reset, and future betas could be for invited experts only?

What I really hope Melih has in mind, though, is to implement Prevx-like features. Comodo should study Prevx closely, it's pretty amazing.

give us some time and watch we do...

What we will do is way beyond anything else ;)
TC currently is the most basic form to start with. I don't want to reveal too much at this stage but I like whats coming down the line...

Melih

Offline skylights

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
give us some time and watch we do...

What we will do is way beyond anything else ;)
TC currently is the most basic form to start with. I don't want to reveal too much at this stage but I like whats coming down the line...

Wow, I can't wait. This could shape up to be the ultimate free security app. (I know, some will say it is already.)

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »
Melih,
Is this planed to stay a free option or is this yet to be decided

OD
Wow, I can't wait. This could shape up to be the ultimate free security app. (I know, some will say it is already.)
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »
Melih,
Is this planed to stay a free option or is this yet to be decided

OD

so far... free...

the way that we decide what should be free and what we shoudl charge for is by simply seeing if its a

service
or a
product

eg: we don't mind doing software dev for free
but running a service where we need to setup teams of people to look after the service etc etc we need to cover the costs for (even though some services we still run for free like whitelisting and av labs creating sigs for AV)..

bottom line is: we want it as much free stuff as possible within limits..

Melih

Offline Dennis2

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
so far... free...

the way that we decide what should be free and what we shoudl charge for is by simply seeing if its a

service
or a
product

eg: we don't mind doing software dev for free
but running a service where we need to setup teams of people to look after the service etc etc we need to cover the costs for (even though some services we still run for free like whitelisting and av labs creating sigs for AV)..

bottom line is: we want it as much free stuff as possible within limits..

Melih
I presume this will be decided on how much the users input towards Threatcast, and how much Comodo has to input for it to run well.
Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System: Centos 7.9 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP, NoScript
 Fedora 33 x64, APF, HTTPS Everywhere, ABP

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek