Author Topic: Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3 :-) [closed]  (Read 32897 times)

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3 :-)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 12:43:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,302.0.html Can this topic help you?

Egemen

Egemen thank you so much for that link (and thanks umesh for posting it).  I just realised that I wasn't entering the 'cd' cmd before typing in path and fwconfig -uninstall.
Guess what?  It's now uninstalled and I'm using the beta version with (so far) no problems.  I'll try the high performance mode when I have time.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks again,
Mike
 (R) (L)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:19:02 AM by mike6688 »
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »
Egemen thank you so much for that link.  I just realised that I wasn't entering the 'cd' cmd before typing in path and fwconfig -uninstall.
Guess what?  It's now uninstalled and I'm using the beta version with (so far) no problems.  I'll try the high performance mode when I have time.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks again,
Mike
 (R) (L)

:)You are welcome.

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »
Finally I can try CPF!  ;D
Good work with the new install... ;)

I didn't have much time to try right now, but can report this:

Issues
Installer:
-------------------------------------------
If I want to switch the installation folder, when click in "Browse...", the default path isn't my Programs folder.
Check this registry key for that:
 [ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ S O F T W A R E \ M i c r o s o f t \ W i n d o w s \ C u r r e n t V e r s i o n ]

" P r o g r a m F i l e s D i r " = " P : \ \ "

Security > Advanced:
---------------------------------------------
The option "Secure the host while booting" isn't selected by default...

Security Alert:

Other:
The "Test your current security configuration" feature doesn't open my default browser.

Suggestions:
1. An option to have the CPF icon on tray system, instead of the Comodo Launch Pad.
2. The height of the Detail window, in all the section, could be ajusted by the user, to avoid the scroll bar.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:34:44 PM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »
The option "Secure the host while booting" isn't selected by default...

Hi,

This is because it can slow down or cause problems on some systems.

Mike
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »
Hi,

This is because it can slow down or cause problems on some systems.

Mike
This means that if I disable this option, CPF will not protect me since windows starts?

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
This means that if I disable this option, CPF will not protect me since windows starts?

This means it will not block anyting until the system is up and running(this should not be confused with user logon. It will still secure the host whether you logon or not). If you want some paranoid level of security, then you can always enable that option.

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 02:32:28 PM »
I reported this by an issue, because if you click on "Set to default", this option will be enabled.

So, you have to remove this option from the "Set to default", because when we install the CPF, it isn't a default option...

Offline pandlouk

• I love Comodo
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired Mod
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »
Hi PAn,

To activate the high performance/security mode, Please go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal
Firewall\AppCtrl", set the "OSMode" value to "3" and RESTART your PC.

Egemen

Thanks egemen. I have modified it. What does it improve?

ps. Could you please test KCeasy? Is a file sharing program for varius networks, but it gives me some problems with CPF. From time to time I see my download/upload go from maximum to zero and so on. I can't figure out what causes it. I have tried almost every modification on CPF. I am confused. ???
I have made a tutorial for KCeasy at
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,630.0.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:19:23 PM by pandlouk »

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
Hey all,

Absolutely seamless install - nice installer, guys. After install, changed to OSMode 3 to test - no problems at all and performance is markedly improved.

It was interesting to note that this beta reported an ole connection to a service linked to our Novell Groupwise email notifier. It related to an active content filtering component, but I'm now trying to find out what else our LAN guys have installed without our knowledge, and they're trying to find out how I found out it was there in the first place as it doesn't get reported by anything else.

Good one guys!

Very impressive beta so far!

I did notice that by default, it created a zone called "home lan" with a range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. Not real clever, as a new user could accidentally create a rule using this zone and open their PC up entirely.

I'll do further tests next week, as I'm off for our  Anniversary this weekend. ;)

Ewen :-)
 (WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3) OI OI OI!
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 06:22:29 PM »
Installer only shows progress of overall installation. Possible to include screen details on what is installed, along with a storable log of what went where?

Ewen :-)
 (WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3)OI OI OI!
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline Umesh

• Comodo Alumni
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Alumni
    • COMODO
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
Hi,
Would like to add a comment on uninstallation of CPF through custom installer.

Earlier we used to depend on InstallShield to do files clean up and "-uninstall" command line parameter to "fwconfig.exe" used to just remove CPF configuration from system.

Now if CPF is installed through custom installer, it uses new command line parameter "uninstalln", notice extra 'n' to end, this option removes CPF configuration as well as all the files of CPF from user's systems, including entry from "Add/Remove" sections.

So once we move our installer to release version "uninstall" should not be used, though it will be there for backward compatibility, but using that would leave files on the system and "Add/Remove" programs section will also not get cleaned up.
We can't stop malware entering user's PC but we render them use-less when they enter PC: Welcome to Comodo's Default Deny innovation

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 12:30:35 AM »
Regarding the message I get  during shutdown of Windows as I reported here earlier it only happens when I have OSMODE=3 set.  Now that I have OSMODE=0 I no longer get the message.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not. 

btw, am I the only one with this problem???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:03:06 AM by streetwolf »

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 12:49:47 AM »
Just put OSMODE=3 and so far absoultely no problems.  Things are much quicker as well.  Great job.
 (B)

Mike

Offline Arkangyal

• "There is nothing impossible to him who will try." - Alexander The Great, ancient Greek King of Macedon, 356 BC-323 BC.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • [ Visit Hungary ] www.hungary.hu
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 12:51:36 AM »
Installer:
-------------------------------------------
If I want to switch the installation folder, when click in "Browse...", the default path isn't my Programs folder.
Check this registry key for that:

BUGS:
- The installation path problem should be solved ^^. More: if you select C:\Program Files, it'll be installed to C:\Program Files (not to C:\Program Files\Comodo\Comodo Personal Firewall or alike!).

- The Wizard has detected the following "Zone"... It's not a detection if you write zeros there! I suggest to write there the current IP address and the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask (~copy main network setting).

- I've switched off Network Monitor, restarted after a while, Network Monitor switched back automaticly. This isn't good.

- A problem with network resources: I know that popup methods aren't so good for basic users but i didn't ask it and CPF automaticly blocked access to shared resources (fe. N: \\server\share). This is caused by the checkbox leaved at "Advance Security Configuration/Secure the host while booting": it won't allow - even after the login finished - to access the shared resources and network addresses (fe. \\anotherpc). As i see, you need to reboot your machine in both checked/unchecked cases - as unchecking won't solve the problem - , so prompt for restart in both cases. This option wouldn't be bad if CPF'd be able to allow the network later.

SUGGESTIONS:
- Can we use an own details system for file's property which wouldn't be overwritten by updates/upgrades?
- When you double-click the icon, the application window should come up, instead of the Launch Pad.

My settings:
Manual config, search computer for known applications
Basic popup logic (unchecked)
Secure the computer while booting (checked)

And yes, this os3 thing make it faster, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:01:19 AM by Arkangyal »

Offline Arkangyal

• "There is nothing impossible to him who will try." - Alexander The Great, ancient Greek King of Macedon, 356 BC-323 BC.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • [ Visit Hungary ] www.hungary.hu
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 12:57:31 AM »
I did notice that by default, it created a zone called "home lan" with a range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. Not real clever, as a new user could accidentally create a rule using this zone and open their PC up entirely.

I agree. Maybe the created rule should contain only the class D range (or class C if it's a big network).

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek