Author Topic: Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3 :-) [closed]  (Read 32898 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3 :-) [closed]
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
Hi Guys

Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download/CPF_Setup_2.2.0.11_BETA.exe
(ignore the version number in the exe :-) it should have said 2.3 :-) but hey its beta :-) )

We are looking for the following to be tested in CPF_Setup_2.2.0.11_BETA.exe please:

This has our own installer, this is done to get rid of InstallShield related errors which we can not resolve. We also have done a new layer of "speed" and "Security" that u might want to take for a test run ;-)

1. We have added an experimental mode called HIGH PERFORMANCE MODE. In high performance mode, CPF operates much faster than normal mode (100% faster) and protection strength is much higher. This is one of the most important features to be tested.
To activate the high performance/security mode, Please go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal
Firewall\AppCtrl", set the "OSMode" value to "3" and RESTART your PC.

2. It should not install on Win64Bit, Windows Vista or Windows 9x series. When installed it should give appropriate warning and exit.

3. We have a new entry through this "All
Programs->Comodo->LaunchPad->Personal Firewall->Uninstall". Using this
CPF can be uninstalled in addition to Add/Remove section. As we move our other products to custom installer, we will create one entry for each product for uninstallation.

4. Installation and uninstallation should be much faster than before as this is our new installer and we want to make sure this installer works! So anyone who couldn't install before, pls try this new installer :-)

5. Updater will not function in this beta version. It will display appropriate warning message to upgrade to release version.

Look forward to your valuable feedback guys :-)

We really appreciate what you are doing for Comodo and the Comodo community who rely on your good work to secure their computers.

thanks
Melih
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:53:12 PM by Soya »

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Here is the Beta version of CPF 2.3 :-)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:28:40 AM »
Do I need to uninstall my 2.2.0.11 version in order to install the beta or just install on top of it?

And do you see any problems if I have to go back to 2.2?

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06:23 AM »
Do I need to uninstall my 2.2.0.11 version in order to install the beta or just install on top of it?

And do you see any problems if I have to go back to 2.2?

Yes you need to uninstall previous versions to install the beta release.

Offline mike6688

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »
Hi,

Is there any other way to uninstall CPF other than add/remove and using fwconfig -uninstall cmd line as neither of these seem to work.

fwconfig -uninstall displays message command not recognised and add/remove used to say please uninstall previous version before installing when I was actually uninstalling.  However, since upgrading to 2.2.0.11 add/remove now shows installshield wizard then does nothing after that when I click the change/remove.

You can see some more information of my problems at the following post.  I would like to uninstall and try the beta as well as solving my issues in this post:
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,323.0.html

Thanks,
Mike

{EDIT} my mistake, not doing the fwconfig -uninstall properly.  I was able to uninstall.  Thanks umesh and egemen, problem solved {EDIT}
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:18:07 AM by mike6688 »
Volunteer Moderator: Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Comodo.  Please read and abide by the forum policy!

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 08:57:29 AM »
Uninstalled 2.2 with no problems.  OK... there was a message from my 3rd party Add/Remove program but it didn't seem important.

Rebooted and installed 2.3 beta.  Rebooted again but during XP initialization my machine rebooted itself.  I got into the screen giving me the options on how to boot XP.  I replied to start it normally.

Got into XP this time.  CPF came up with the usual popups.

The first thing I notice is that every time I reboot my machine I get a message from CPF that it is about to close.  I am instructed to reply YES or NO depending if I am reinstalling/upgrading or not.  I reply NO.  This message comes up twice in a row.  I think I got this same message when I uninstalled 2.2.  VERY annoying.  Any fix for this?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:59:09 AM by streetwolf »

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »
Uninstalled 2.2 with no problems.  OK... there was a message from my 3rd party Add/Remove program but it didn't seem important.

Rebooted and installed 2.3 beta.  Rebooted again but during XP initialization my machine rebooted itself.  I got into the screen giving me the options on how to boot XP.  I replied to start it normally.

Got into XP this time.  CPF came up with the usual popups.

The first thing I notice is that every time I reboot my machine I get a message from CPF that it is about to close.  I am instructed to reply YES or NO depending if I am reinstalling/upgrading or not.  I reply NO.  This message comes up twice in a row.  I think I got this same message when I uninstalled 2.2.  VERY annoying.  Any fix for this?

Yes this is going to be fixed.

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »
Hi,

Is there any other way to uninstall CPF other than add/remove and using fwconfig -uninstall cmd line as neither of these seem to work.

fwconfig -uninstall displays message command not recognised and add/remove used to say please uninstall previous version before installing when I was actually uninstalling.  However, since upgrading to 2.2.0.11 add/remove now shows installshield wizard then does nothing after that when I click the change/remove.

You can see some more information of my problems at the following post.  I would like to uninstall and try the beta as well as solving my issues in this post:
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,323.0.html

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,302.0.html  Can this topic help you?

Egemen

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »
Soon, I hope?

What would happen if I replied YES instead of NO to the message?

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »
Soon, I hope?

What would happen if I replied YES instead of NO to the message?
Well the purpose of this beta release is to solve such bugs before production release. This will not be in the production release. It wont be in the next beta release either if any.

It is safe to say YES while rebooting. And I think you should select YES instead of NO. Because ideally CPF should be able to detect windows shutdown and should not show this message.

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »
I responded YES to the message and all I got was the one message, not two as I got when I replied NO.   

I modified my Registry per your instructions to get Performance Mode.  Is there anything I can observe to see if this is working as designed?

So far 2.3 is working OK for me.  Nothing unusual has happened other then the shutdown message.

Offline pandlouk

• I love Comodo
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired Mod
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:14:43 AM »
I have installed the new beta. I like a lot your installer. Allthough I would prefer also to see the name of the files that are beeing installed and not only the progress bar.

ps.egemen how come you have decided to run CPF as an application and not as a service?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:21:40 AM by pandlouk »

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
I responded YES to the message and all I got was the one message, not two as I got when I replied NO.   

I modified my Registry per your instructions to get Performance Mode.  Is there anything I can observe to see if this is working as designed?

So far 2.3 is working OK for me.  Nothing unusual has happened other then the shutdown message.

OSMode = 3 must improve overall performance of your PC. It should work OK. We dont expect anything odd. You can try to compare the performance of your system with version 2.2 and version 2.3.

For example, new processes should be starting faster etc.

Egemen

Offline pandlouk

• I love Comodo
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 11:32:37 AM »
OSMode = 3 must improve overall performance of your PC. It should work OK. We dont expect anything odd. You can try to compare the performance of your system with version 2.2 and version 2.3.

Egemen
??? what is OSMode=3?

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
??? what is OSMode=3?

Hi PAn,

To activate the high performance/security mode, Please go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal
Firewall\AppCtrl", set the "OSMode" value to "3" and RESTART your PC.

Egemen

Offline streetwolf

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »

Egemen

If you mean at boot time it seems to me things are coming up slower then with 2.2.  I will try turning off OSMODE 3 and see what happens.  Btw... should I set it to zero or some other number?  I forgot the original value. :-)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek