Author Topic: Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.2.5 Alpha Setup [Closed]  (Read 43923 times)

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
  • THINK LIKE YOU CARE LIVE LIKE YOU MEAN IT.
Re: Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.2.5 Alpha Setup
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
Just uninstalled CFP v. 2.4 and went for v.3.0.2.5 Alpha.
NO PROBLEMS installing and NO PROBLEMS with Avast v.4.7 Professional ED......so far!
Was wondering whether the "show Tray Animation" option is available with the Alpha version, as I like that option and I have it Checked, however nothing is showing that I can see ???
Anyway, once I get REALLY acquainted with the new program I'll be in a better place to comment further.
Thanks COMODO (:KWL)
My appologies, I posted before I read in Alpha Bugs...... seems this option "is not active" in Alpha version. (:KWL)
Holy Crap!!...More then one star.

"Use of COMODO Security Programs is not only Advised"  Use is Highly Recommend!!

Offline choupiwen

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
so under windows 2003 will it be able to install the v3?

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
Zos, mrm1 reports here that he could not connect to the web until he had deactivated Avast's Web Shield.
That is interesting..... why one user of Avast would have to deactivate the Web Shield and another user does not have to deactivate any of the On Access scanners ???
I guess I'm just lucky! (:KWL)

"Use of COMODO Security Programs is not only Advised"  Use is Highly Recommend!!

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
That is interesting..... why one user of Avast would have to deactivate the Web Shield and another user does not have to deactivate any of the On Access scanners ???
I guess I'm just lucky! (:KWL)
There could be a 3rd component involved that we do not know about yet.
My System Details: W10Px64 with CIS 10 Beta, Firefox & Becky!
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »
Hey kail>
Ah... yes, there are always variations to the theme.
This is one of the main reasons I enjoy participating in this fine forum..... it's always an educational experience! (:WIN)
One persons lesson is another persons schooling. (:KWL)

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 07:47:46 PM »
Me too. 8) I learn new things all the time because of these forums.
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
Me too. 8) I learn new things all the time because of these forums.
Hey kail.... Im looking for some input. Here is a learning situation as we speak.
Since installing CFP3 have you by chance run a system vulnerability check, for example....Symantec Security Check?
When I ran CFPv.2.4 on my system, the Symantec Security Check PASSED with all areas resulting in NO Vulnerabilities.....
However I just ran the same check with CFPv3 installed and was surprised to find that 2 of the 3 areas showed a fundamental change in Firewall Protection.
Hacker Exposure Check failed with ports no longer showing STEALTH but rather CLOSED and Trojan Horse Check showing all ports Closed(except for one being Back Door/ SubSeven showing Stealth)which as we know expososes a system as being there, Windows Vulnerability Check failed as well.
With v.2.4 all ports and Computer identification were "Stealth" (the very best situation you want).
However now with CFPv.3 my Computer Identification, ie> Computer name and Work Group etc  is visible to potential Hackers.
This concerns me alot.

Modified>> Why the difference in the Firewall Protection approach? Am I missing something?
What is your take on this situation?

Personally, I feel from experience , that a 'Stealth Port' is far far more secure then a 'Closed Port'
You can't Hack or Intrude on something that is Not There!
I have not configured v.3 at all. All settings are on default.....  Possibly I don't have CFP configured to its max potential?
Any input on this discovery?  (:KWL)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:46:58 PM by wilpower »

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 09:15:56 PM »
Other than.. have you tried GRCs Shields Up & what is "Symantec Security Check".. URL or part of a Symantec product?
Forum Policy.
____

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 09:31:44 PM »
Other than.. have you tried GRCs Shields Up & what is "Symantec Security Check".. URL or part of a Symantec product?
Thanks for checkin back kail.  (R)
No I have not tried GRCs Shields Up, Can you provide a link?
And No, Symantec Security Check is a service provided to scan for vulnerabilities in System Security and Firewall effectiveness>>>>http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Also, I did come across CFPv3's 'Firewall Stealth Configuration Wizzard' under Firewall heading however it is not available in the Alpha version. I guess I pushed the panic button...... comes with the "getting acqainted to new software process" (:SHY) I'm sure all will be fine (:WIN)
But I do hope the Beta comes along REAL SOON so all the great features CFP3 has to offer can be realized!!! (:KWL)

Offline Typo

• Comodo Member
    • http://pdehq.hyperphp.com/
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 09:54:17 PM »

Offline kail

• Randomly Appearing
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »
Yes that's, GRC's ShieldsUp!.

I'll check Symantec's tomorrow, very late here.
Forum Policy.
____

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:15 PM »
Just ran the GRC's Shields Up Scan and turns out pretty much all the Security Vulnerabilities that showed up at the Symantec Service ALSO were exposed at the GRC Service.
I am really concerned that CPF3 doesn't appear to provide the same effective protection that CFPv2.4 did for me.   (:SAD) Alpha version or not......the same basic protection has got to be there!
I feel I need to revert back to previous version unless someone (possibly a developer)can offer up a reasonable evaluation of this development.
Thanks in advance. (:KWL)

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »
Just ran Sheilds up using 2 scenarios one With CFP3A3.0.2.5 and With CFP Firewall set to allow all just to make sure there was no blocking going on from my provider.
Looks good to me
OD :Beer
Results below
1st with CFP active all ports were stealthed
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-07-01 at 02:26:53

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
                            119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
                            1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
   26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
   26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

2nd with CFP Firewall set to Allow all.  Some ports showed Stealth some closed
----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-07-01 at 02:25:07

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
                            119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
                            1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
   20 Ports Closed
    6 Ports Stealth
---------------------
   26 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 25, 80, 110, 135, 139, 445

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

Just ran the GRC's Shields Up Scan and turns out pretty much all the Security Vulnerabilities that showed up at the Symantec Service ALSO were exposed at the GRC Service.
I am really concerned that CPF3 doesn't appear to provide the same effective protection that CFPv2.4 did for me.   (:SAD) Alpha version or not......the same basic protection has got to be there!
I feel I need to revert back to previous version unless someone (possibly a developer)can offer up a reasonable evaluation of this development.
Thanks in advance. (:KWL)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:33:00 PM by Opus Dei »
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Offline wilpower

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »
Mmm, Very Interesting, but has not changed my situation.
Installed CFP3 and did not change any default settings....just out of the box install and both Security services show Firewall Vulnerabilities with ports showing Closed not Stealth as well as Computer Identity profile!
 Uninstall CFP3 and Reinstalled CFP2.4 and did not change any default settings....just out of the box install.....Ran both Symantec and GRC services...... ports showed Stealth all across the board....with No Computer Identity revealed. (:CLP)
For now, I'm staying with what's showing Secure. (:KWL)

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »
Don't blame you.  I wonder what´s the difference in our setups.  Do you have the block "All Incoming Requests" at the bottom in your Global Rules? I believe this is what stealths the PC.  In several PC Firewalls there are implicit block rules I have not tested this in the Alpha, but I believe in 2.4 this was not the case

Just ran the Symantec and it shows Stealth with no Computer Identity profile.  I ran the GRC test in Opera But had to the Symantec Test in IE7 as it does not support Opera

Mmm, Very Interesting, but has not changed my situation.
Installed CFP3 and did not change any default settings....just out of the box install and both Security services show Firewall Vulnerabilities with ports showing Closed not Stealth as well as Computer Identity profile!
 Uninstall CFP3 and Reinstalled CFP2.4 and did not change any default settings....just out of the box install.....Ran both Symantec and GRC services...... ports showed Stealth all across the board....with No Computer Identity revealed. (:CLP)
For now, I'm staying with what's showing Secure. (:KWL)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:00:20 AM by Opus Dei »
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek