Author Topic: Are we going to release v3 next tuesday 20th Nov or not? [Closed]  (Read 73529 times)

Toggie

Re: Are we going to release v3 next tuesday 20th Nov or not?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 12:57:30 AM »
At this point I'd have to say no too. My feeling is, if you have something, that you believe is suitable for release, why not put it out as a pre-release preview. If all is well after a few days to a week, then release the program. I believe this is the best way to ensure consumer confidence.

Just my two pence :)

Offline honghr

• Comodo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 02:48:39 AM »
I voted no. Better release it after all major bugs have been fixed.

Offline N.T.T.W.

• Comodo's Hero
  • A minute of your time can help many.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 03:31:33 AM »
I will say yes because I am sure that Melih will not release it unless he is sure the bugs have been fixed and I don't think he would mention this date if he was not fairly sure Comodo could meet it....

(:WIN)
Post proelia praemia.
Die dulci fruere.

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 04:00:48 AM »
I voted yes because I think that's what will happen since Melih opened the topic, at least that's the way I understood it and the way I understood the pool question ("will it be released?" not "should it be released?"). But of course I've always said that it should never be released half assed, a lot of attention will be upon it not only in this forum. :) But I know the Comodo staff is working hard and am confident that the final release will be good, can't wait. :) :) :)
 (J)
Windows users do not disable UAC

Offline Arkangyal

• "There is nothing impossible to him who will try." - Alexander The Great, ancient Greek King of Macedon, 356 BC-323 BC.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • [ Visit Hungary ] www.hungary.hu
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 05:00:17 AM »
Today is the 14th of November. I voted yes, cause i'm a kind of comodo fan, but you only released 1 RC. My opinion was that you will release some more RCs (around 7 /included rc1/) and meanwhile you will make it possible to use skins and to translate the firewall texts. Also, don't forget we'll need a help file. (translation can take a week at least, but a month). I don't think you will make these until the 20th of November  :THNK.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:32:44 AM by Arkangyal »

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 05:19:11 AM »
Only two pence more, maybe the people voting "no" haven't thought about the work intensity and man-hours that Comodo must be investing in CFP alone right now. The beta was buggy (it was a beta), but reportedly usable at least in many machines, and that's a lot for such a low-level program. I suppose that the lattest version was given the release candidate stamp because the devs, judging from what they know about the product (and they're the ones who know everything not us), think that even if it has bugs (if it didn't it would have been the final release), once the current ones are fixed no serious ones will appear. I hope it's that way, and I think so. I know Melih must be more impatient than anyone else about the final release, but also that he understands the importance of releasing a good one, and that not even Comodo fans want a bad final release.

That said, it's not impossible that even if Melih knows that the devs can do it the 20th and he's listened to them, something unexpected could happen that would delay the release a little. That would be another way to interpret the poll question: "We're planning to release it the 20th and we're so serious about it that I'm letting you know and risking having you go ballistic. Do you think we'll make it as I do, or are you expecting some last minute gipsy curse?" :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:23:04 AM by Japo »

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
Only two pence more, maybe the people voting "no" haven't thought about the work intensity and man-hours that Comodo must be investing in CFP alone right now. The beta was buggy (it was a beta), but reportedly usable at least in many machines, and that's a lot for such a low-level program. I suppose that the lattest version was given the release candidate stamp because the devs, judging from what they know about the product (and they're the ones who know everything not us), think that even if it has bugs (if it didn't it would have been the final release), once the current ones are fixed no serious ones will appear. I hope it's that way, and I think so. I know Melih must be more impatient than anyone else about the final release, but also that he understands the importance of releasing a good one, and that not even Comodo fans want a bad final release.

That said, it's not impossible that even if Melih knows that the devs can do it the 20th and he's listened to them, something unexpected could happen that would delay the release a little. That would be another way to interpret the poll question: "We're planning to release it the 20th and we're so serious about it that I'm letting you know and risking having you go ballistic. Do you think we'll make it as I do, or are you expecting some last minute gipsy curse?" :D

Japo...

My hats off to you!

Melih

CGPMaster

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 09:13:07 AM »
I would say no, unless all the errors are fixed and everything is working Then YES but unless it's been tested ok

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 10:16:02 AM »
Japo...

My hats off to you!

Melih

Wow thank you. (:SHY) In turn my hat has been off to you since quite long now, and I haven't even put it back on. Thanks for your products and good luck in business! (Oh that was so selfish of me... ;) ) Haha I'm now a crawler it seems... :-[ :D :P

So the only thing left I can advise is, buy a lot of garlic and hang it all around the office, then you're safe against gipsy curses. :D Anyway I guess some people will be doing overtime this weekend at Comodo... :o
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:17:38 AM by Japo »

soyabeaner

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »
I guess some people will be doing overtime this weekend at Comodo... :o

Haven't they always ???

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
As I said I voted no, but I am sure as you said japo Melih will make a decision based on his knowlege and discusions with the devs.  My fear is that once released there will be more pressure to release and update with a complete help file and such things as skins and transltons and other thingmuch less important than working out the final bugs.
Me personally I would like to see one more RC

But as I said Melih will make the decision based on on the discusions with the developers

And yes I think that all the people who said no Realize and appreciate all the work that the Comodo team has put into this great product

And I say this  (V)

OD
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
As I said I voted no, but I am sure as you said japo Melih will make a decision based on his knowlege and discusions with the devs.  My fear is that once released there will be more pressure to release and update with a complete help file and such things as skins and transltons and other thingmuch less important than working out the final bugs.
Me personally I would like to see one more RC

But as I said Melih will make the decision based on on the discusions with the developers

And yes I think that all the people who said no Realize and appreciate all the work that the Comodo team has put into this great product

And I say this  (V)

OD

"Me personally I would like to see one more RC"

How can I say no to you OD ;)

Melih

Offline 00hmh

• Comodo Loves me
I see nothing wrong with RC versions.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
I agree with the "no" comments above.  We should appreciate all the work that has gone into the product and that should make us eager to see the final product, but willing to wait for it to be working really well, and without as many glitches as a too early release would inevitably have.  If the delay is not a really long one, even the most rabid should be able to hold their water for anotehr RC or even more than one!

Product testers and reviewers can magnify small errors, and most software that is released has errors.  I say let Comodo developers be confident the guts of the product has absolutely no serious errors and let them work to patch up a few more small issues.  Be sure.  

This product promises to be the best available even if released early, but why give critics anything to pick at?   For the very eager adopters, go ahead and install RC2 (and then 3 or 4, if neccessary) if it's good enough for production use.  Let the final release be anticlimatic for you.  It won't be that hard to update.  The RC can include and update feature, after all.  

When the rest of the world sees a nearly perfect product in final release it will make a bigger bang.

Offline N.T.T.W.

• Comodo's Hero
  • A minute of your time can help many.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
Maybe RC 2 tomorrow and final next week??? Is that the subtle hint Melih?

:SMLR
Post proelia praemia.
Die dulci fruere.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 11:51:18 AM »
"Product testers and reviewers can magnify small errors, and most software that is released has errors.  I say let Comodo developers be confident the guts of the product has absolutely no serious errors and let them work to patch up a few more small issues.  Be sure. "

Agreed!

this is only v3 :)

we will, shortly after, release will have 3.1 launched as well with hopefully with CMG built in and CAV3 integrated (not bundled, you can still run it as a stand alone etc).. So you will see continuous improvements from us :) and as you rightly said, there will always be issues and the good thing is we will always be here to fix them quickly!

then 3.2.... etc.... with TC (no thats not TrustConnect)(can't tell you what it is yet.. patenting is being done...)  then 3.3... with SB (can't tell you what this is, patenting is being done:))(not SandBox btw.. )  (depending on what comes of production line sooner the orders of launches might change... This development train we have is going in full steam!!!!! and V3.. is the first stop!!! :)

Melih

Melih

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek