Author Topic: [Solved with 175 Beta] CTM ruin my day, my disk, my data...  (Read 18531 times)

Offline doskey

• Comodo Loves me
Re: CTM ruin my day, my disk, my data...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
What I can't understand yet:
1. Why did I lose the ability to restore any of the snapshots, specially the baseline?
2. Why does the restore partition (100Mb) created by Windows 7 (that was never protected by CTM) have all the files "erased"?

Hi Tech.
1. If internal data of CTM was corrupted, then CTM might can't restore to snapshots or baseline. Illegal operation, which means such as boot from CD or use the 3rd-party offline disk tool. There operations will cause corrupt internal data of CTM. The bug you reported, it is a known bug on sub-console. It should be fixed on the latest setup.

2. This is incorrect. In fact, CTM will not affect on any files on non-protected partition in normal case. Could you please tell me detail about the problem? Files lose on non-protected partition?

Thanks,
Doskey

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
1. If internal data of CTM was corrupted, then CTM might can't restore to snapshots or baseline. Illegal operation, which means such as boot from CD or use the 3rd-party offline disk tool. There operations will cause corrupt internal data of CTM.
I didn't perform any of these operations.
I was using the computer, boot normally, and the BSOD appears.

By the way, CTM "allows" that chkdsk could be launched (scheduled). The console has already loaded but I think the necessary drivers for CTM to work don't. Can't it block the scheduling by Windows?
I did NOT run chkdsk when the error occurred, I'm just asking.

The bug you reported, it is a known bug on sub-console. It should be fixed on the latest setup.
Isn't it already in the beta?

2. This is incorrect. In fact, CTM will not affect on any files on non-protected partition in normal case. Could you please tell me detail about the problem? Files lose on non-protected partition?
Yeah... The partition was "empty". No files. After the BSOD and the uninstall of CTM, I've tried to boot without success. Used avast BART CD to access the disks and see the partitions. Two partitions are TrueCrypted and BART CD could not "see". It's ok. Only one of the three NTFS ones was protected (the Windows one) and two were unprotected (the Windows 7 recovery or boot partition of 100Mb, that CTM even detected upon installation and the second partition is a document/data one).
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline doskey

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
I didn't perform any of these operations.
I was using the computer, boot normally, and the BSOD appears.

By the way, CTM "allows" that chkdsk could be launched (scheduled). The console has already loaded but I think the necessary drivers for CTM to work don't. Can't it block the scheduling by Windows?
I did NOT run chkdsk when the error occurred, I'm just asking.
Isn't it already in the beta?
Yeah... The partition was "empty". No files. After the BSOD and the uninstall of CTM, I've tried to boot without success. Used avast BART CD to access the disks and see the partitions. Two partitions are TrueCrypted and BART CD could not "see". It's ok. Only one of the three NTFS ones was protected (the Windows one) and two were unprotected (the Windows 7 recovery or boot partition of 100Mb, that CTM even detected upon installation and the second partition is a document/data one).

Hi Tech.
CTM supports Windows' chkdsk during startup. It was not offline operation. Yes. The bug was fixed in the BETA. For the 2nd question, in fact, CTM is incompatible with TrueCrypt. How did you install CTM on your machine?
You boot from BART CD, then you should see the baseline of CTM. If you operator protected partition when you boot from CD, you may corrupt internal data of CTM.

Thanks,
Doskey.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
How did you install CTM on your machine?
I have the full partition encrypted before.
I've uninstalled TrueCrypt. Boot. Install CTM. Boot. Install TrueCrypt and mount the partitions.

You boot from BART CD, then you should see the baseline of CTM. If you operator protected partition when you boot from CD, you may corrupt internal data of CTM.
Yes, I know I can't manage the protected partition.
Yes, the baseline is there.
The problem is why the files in the restore partition of Windows 7 just disappeared... Maybe something was change in the MFT of that partition? ???
avast! team member

Offline doskey

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
I have the full partition encrypted before.
I've uninstalled TrueCrypt. Boot. Install CTM. Boot. Install TrueCrypt and mount the partitions.
Yes, I know I can't manage the protected partition.
Yes, the baseline is there.
The problem is why the files in the restore partition of Windows 7 just disappeared... Maybe something was change in the MFT of that partition? ???

Maybe.. I can't confirm this in your environment. Anyway, CTM should not affect on non-protected partition. In fact, we did not test CTM work with TrueCrypt together in such case. It might is a compatibility issue. I will ask my QA guys to test this case asap. Then I will answer your question.

Thanks for your report,
Doskey.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
Thanks for testing. I can't understand why TrueCrypt drivers will affect the CTM or vice-versa. Here (https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-ctm/comodo-time-machine-27150952175-beta-released-t57785.0.html;msg406339#msg406339) I describe my disk architecture.
It's not difficult to test... But I've said, I work with CTM (and TrueCrypt) quite some days without an issue, suddenly, just booting, I get the BSOD and lost the snapshots (i.e., the ability of restoring the snapshots without another BSOD).
avast! team member

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek