Author Topic: Signiture database recreating itself  (Read 251 times)

Offline Julie09

Signiture database recreating itself
« on: March 15, 2020, 01:45:27 AM »
Hello reader,

CIS 12.0.0.6818
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit.

After I boot within 10 mins disk usage approaches 1GB without me using the PC.

I have traced the issue to the 'nnn.cav' file sitting in the ...\cis\signatures folder. Within 10 mins of booting two new cav files have been created in this folder. The first made within 5mins, then another (new filename) and the first file is deleted. File size is nearly 500MB. So that's writing 1GB of data for a small <10MB downloaded signature update.

This is repeatable, the signature database .cav file is always recreated, create date = modified date.

What can I do to make CIS update the signature database instead of recreating it each time.
Also how can I instruct CIS to only do one update in the option setting of 6 hour signature update period, instead of two within a few minutes.

Thanks for your help.

Offline liosant

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • internet providers are not ready ...
Re: Signiture database recreating itself
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
Hello reader,

CIS 12.0.0.6818
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit.

I have traced the issue to the 'nnn.cav' file sitting in the ...\cis\signatures folder. Within 10 mins of booting two new cav files have been created in this folder. The first made within 5mins, then another (new filename) and the first file is deleted. File size is nearly 500MB. So that's writing 1GB of data for a small <10MB downloaded signature update.

This is repeatable, the signature database .cav file is always recreated, create date = modified date.

What can I do to make CIS update the signature database instead of recreating it each time.
Also how can I instruct CIS to only do one update in the option setting of 6 hour signature update period, instead of two within a few minutes.

Thanks for your help.
download database is slowdown, maybe it is that (here it also happens);
the file can sometimes corrupt and then CIS when checking, identifies something wrong and then downloads the database again;

NOTE: Apparently this can be caused by the same problem that affected previous versions of CIS (when you didn't install the killswitch), wait wait for a statement from the developer team :-TU

Offline Julie09

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:10:13 AM »
Thanks, liosant!

I don't think slow or corrupt download is likely as my internet connection is good and reliable.

I'm concerned about the unnecessary SSD writes caused by recreating the .cav file rather than updating it. I mean, I assume it is a database file and can be updated rather than recreate a whole new file with each virus signature update.

I shall await developer team input.

Thanks again.

Online Dharshu

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:56:19 AM »
Hello reader,

CIS 12.0.0.6818
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit.

Thanks for your help.
Hello Julie09,

Thank you for reporting.
CIS will download complete base if (existed base version on user machine - max server available DB) >150 else it will download only incremental updates. How often do you see the CIS downloading repeated base? Could you please provide us the Log details of Tasks. ie., Tasks-> Advanced Tasks-> View Logs -> Tasks for further investigation of the issue.
Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,
PD

Offline Julie09

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
Hello Dharshu,

Thank you for your reply.
How often do you see the CIS downloading repeated base?
I don't always monitor this, but have seen it twice since looking into these high disk writes. It doesn't generally happen so it's not my main concern right now.

I would like to focus and resolve the following scenario (which is always repeatable):
  • The regular incremental virus signature updates are a small download about 1MB.
  • After a few seconds to download, the installing process recreates the entire signature database file ( ...\cis\signatures\nnn.cav. The file create date = modified date.
  • This causes high disk writes because the file size is nearly 500MB and I assume will grow with time.
  • Please note the virus signature is not downloading the whole virus signature base - only incremental top-up.
Is this the normal behavior or can CIS be made to only update or modify the 'nnn.cav' file instead of completely recreating it.

Could you please provide us the Log details of Tasks. ie., Tasks-> Advanced Tasks-> View Logs -> Tasks for further investigation of the issue.
The task log is empty, I could not find an option to enable it? All other logs contain entries, containment, firewall etc.

Thank you again,
Julie.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek