Author Topic: Daily updates  (Read 1124 times)

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
Daily updates
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:50:36 AM »
It's really annoying that CIS doesn't offer any useful method for restricting when it does its daily updates (like virus files but not 100% sure). 

When this kicks off, it jumps my CPU to 70% utilization, forcing my fans to turn on and making an annoying racket.  So I immediately open task manager and cancel the update.  It can run some other time when I am not at the computer.  Although my system is a few years old, it is running an I7 4700K with 16GB ram and is no slouch.  So what exactly is Comodo doing to drive the CPU from an average 4% normal usage to 70% suddenly and which will last for at least 10 minutes, perhaps more?

After all these years with essentially the same UI, one would think that someone at Comodo would have had the bright idea to put a time control on updates, say only update between 3-5am daily.  But noooooooooooooo.

There is a setting that states "Do not check for updates if I am using "these connections", which when clicked, opens up a box showing Ethernet. 

This is the ONLY choice!  There is no apparent way to enter anything else.  And in fact, I don't even know what this means.  What does "using Ethernet mean"?  That there is an active network transfer going on?  That won't happen when I am merely reading cached stuff.

Offline liosant

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • GOD cure me epilepsy and atrophy - Sou brasileiro!
Re: Daily updates
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
high utilization not is normal, alright running diagnostic in CIS or clean install?
if not, you can try reinstall comodo internet security (here almost always solve)...

or wait devs contact.

sorry my english.

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Daily updates CPU hog, runs excessively
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Am I the only person experiencing these crazy apparent nightly Comodo updates where Comodo tasks run for 40-60 minutes and suck up most of the CPU cycles?

Here is a 5 minute example of Comodo running some kind of update process that appears to be in a loop. 

The app will use 45-65% of my CPU power for more than 40 minutes and will remain the number CPU utilization app for this time period. 

Note the huge increase in Faults Count, Reads and Read KB!  I am unsure WHAT is being read here but it seems to be getting a lot of faults.  Why?

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
Hmmm.  Apparently this is too technical a question for the forum.

Offline CommodoUser2019

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
As far as I know, Comodo defaults to running a full computer scan on a schedule. See if that might be the cause.
Windows 10 Pro 2004 x64 Build 19041.630
Comodo CIS 12.2.2.7098

Offline futuretech

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
How do yo figure it is an update and not a full scan being run? How come you don't run resource monitor and view the disk activity of the process that is using the most CPU and read/write bytes? Sounds to mean it is some kind of schedule system scan or the real time scanning caused by another application accessing a large amount of files, which in turn cause the real time AV to scan those files.

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 11:05:09 PM »
How do yo figure it is an update and not a full scan being run? How come you don't run resource monitor and view the disk activity of the process that is using the most CPU and read/write bytes? Sounds to mean it is some kind of schedule system scan or the real time scanning caused by another application accessing a large amount of files, which in turn cause the real time AV to scan those files.
I don't know it was a scan or not.  Which is why I was posing the question here!

So I looked at the AV and drilled into the archaic UI (hint: You have to click the checkbox next to the scan name and then the edit button at the top to be able to see the options and schedule menus).  It is possible that this was a scan, which was a full scan, which was scheduled weekly at 11:59pm, which would be in the time range for what I was experiencing.  I've change that to earlier the next morning and changed a full scan to once/month.

Still, is it normal on other people's systems for a full scan to run for 45 minutes (or possibly more)?  I've probably got less than 1.5TB of total data.

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher is your last mistake'
    • Schneier on Security
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 02:28:39 AM »
I'd say it's quite a good time for that amount of data. Last time I ran one, it went into a couple of hours although admittedly on several drives. You can also 'Send it to Background' which is supposed to reduce resource usage, although taking longer
Still, is it normal on other people's systems for a full scan to run for 45 minutes (or possibly more)?  I've probably got less than 1.5TB of total data.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:34:20 AM by Ploget »
Ploget

All Win 10 x 64 Pro - 20H2 (19042.1052) / CIS 12.2.2.8012
Comodo Forum Policy
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »
I'd say it's quite a good time for that amount of data. Last time I ran one, it went into a couple of hours although admittedly on several drives. You can also 'Send it to Background' which is supposed to reduce resource usage, although taking longer
I have a fairly fast machine with plenty of RAM.  And this was across multiple drives.  However, I did set priority into the background.

It doesn't explain why such a huge number of read faults.  That is NOT NORMAL. 

How can I find out what Comodo is doing here?  Assume it is a scan, there should be a log/report somewhere that tells how many files were scanned, sizes, time and a whole lot more.  Are Event log records cut for this?

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher is your last mistake'
    • Schneier on Security
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 04:09:32 AM »
The Scan screen itself when completed shows you what was scanned and the results with numbers & times etc. You can dictate what, when, how and the actions you want if anything is found, but no additional log is kept
How can I find out what Comodo is doing here?  Assume it is a scan, there should be a log/report somewhere that tells how many files were scanned, sizes, time and a whole lot more.  Are Event log records cut for this?
Ploget

All Win 10 x 64 Pro - 20H2 (19042.1052) / CIS 12.2.2.8012
Comodo Forum Policy
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”

Offline futuretech

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »

Offline iamme99

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 03:17:46 PM »
I believe I have solved this problem.  I run 16GB of memory on this system and I have the page/swap files on a different device from where the OS is.  I noticed that I had the page file set for a 4GB size.  I changed that to 16GB and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek