Author Topic: Cavwp.exe eating resources  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Windward10

• Comodo Member
Cavwp.exe eating resources
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
I have three hard drives on my PC. Windows 10 is on C: the primary. My active data is on D: and there is a back-up copy of old data on G: This data is mostly image copies jpeg, dng etc. and are not accessed by any of the programs I am using.

For some reason the G: drive is being accessed almost constantly by Cavwp.exe and this is eating into resources and slowing everything down. I have disabled HIPs - no change. Disabled antivirus - no change. Exited CIS and closed it down - no change. The only way to stop it is ending the Comodo Internet Security process through task manager.

Is there any way to stop this Cavwp.exe scanning these files unnecessarily?

Offline Ploget

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • 'Your best teacher is your last mistake'
    • Schneier on Security
Re: Cavwp.exe eating resources
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
It if isn't a Scan Memory on Startup or a Scheduled Scan . . . . have you tried adding the G Drive to Scan Exclusions as shown?

I have three hard drives on my PC. Windows 10 is on C: the primary. My active data is on D: and there is a back-up copy of old data on G: This data is mostly image copies jpeg, dng etc. and are not accessed by any of the programs I am using.

For some reason the G: drive is being accessed almost constantly by Cavwp.exe and this is eating into resources and slowing everything down. I have disabled HIPs - no change. Disabled antivirus - no change. Exited CIS and closed it down - no change. The only way to stop it is ending the Comodo Internet Security process through task manager.

Is there any way to stop this Cavwp.exe scanning these files unnecessarily?
Ploget

All Win 10 x 64 Pro - 21H1 (19043.1110) / CIS 12.2.2.8012
Comodo Forum Policy
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”

Offline greenish

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »
what is the .exe in the first place?

Offline Windward10

• Comodo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
It if isn't a Scan Memory on Startup or a Scheduled Scan . . . . have you tried adding the G Drive to Scan Exclusions as shown?

Sorry Ploget, I thought I had replied to you immediately, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

The drive that was being scanned contained back-up images, all quite large and so I have added the drive as an exclusion and that has sorted the issue. Cavwp.exe does seem rather memory intensive though.

Offline Windward10

• Comodo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 01:23:25 PM »
what is the .exe in the first place?

I am a newbie and a bit of a numptie on all this, but cavwp.exe scans file activity in the background (I think). There is more info on https://www.file.net/process/cavwp.exe.html

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek