Author Topic: CFP 3.0.9.229 BETA 64-Bit Bug Reports [CLOSED]  (Read 24658 times)

Offline ciambridge

Re: CFP 3.0.9.229 BETA 64-Bit Bug Reports
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »
hey guys...

it was not possible to install WSS (neither version) in safe mode...after that i logged in a administrator, disabled comodo firewall from startup when windows starts and try to install the newest version of WSS..install was complete, but the hotkey still not working, and the process is again unstoppable, (just stays in taskmanager)..after that i uninstalled it again and enabled comodo again in the administrator account..the app is not even working when comodo firewall is turned off completely (cfp.exe and the agent terminated...) quite strange, the hotkey worked flawlessly till i installed the firewall..i dont need my wireless connection desperately, and i rather prefer having comodo running at the moment to stop the epolicy orchastrator i had to install due to my universities regulation..but it is still quite strange...

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
Are there any entries about that app in D+ log?
Did you set that app to trusted?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline ciambridge

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:28 AM »
hey..

sorry for the late reply..nope, there were no entries in the d+ log..
the first time i set it too be an trusted application, but it did not change anything...vista said that WSS was responsible for the slow shutdown, so i tried to install a newer version, which s not possible with comodo firewall running..dont know..i might uninstall comodo firewall the next, install the newest version of WSS and then install comodo again, to see whether thats working or not..

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »
hey..

sorry for the late reply..nope, there were no entries in the d+ log..
the first time i set it too be an trusted application, but it did not change anything...vista said that WSS was responsible for the slow shutdown, so i tried to install a newer version, which s not possible with comodo firewall running..dont know..i might uninstall comodo firewall the next, install the newest version of WSS and then install comodo again, to see whether thats working or not..
did you download your driver from http://www.compal.com/asp/driver_dnd/e_download.asp?M_path=/Download/NB/HEL80_81/HEL80 ?

That's strange anyway I found a forum were there are other users affected by this issue. Maybe it's not related to V3. Check if WSS works before installing V3 Again.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=108111&highlight=Wireless+Select+Switch

anyway yoy should be still able to use the hardware switch

Quote from: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1684998&highlight=Wireless+Select+Switch#post1684998
There's a switch right under the second orange LED from the left on the front of the notebook. That's your wireless/BT on-off switch.

On your taskbar, there should be a red "W"--that's your Wireless Select Switch. Using the WSS, you can enable/disable combinations of wireless and BT.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:43:39 AM by gibran »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline ciambridge

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
yep, downloaded that driver and the one that was more up to date from bizcom sales..

none of them worked..

i read this thread already, but never experienced any problems with the WSS before..

i am going to try to uninstall/install everything this weekend and see what happens..

thanks for the help...

gonna give you an update when i've done that..

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
gonna give you an update when i've done that..

Thanks please confirm that uninstalling comodo solve this issue.

Offline ciambridge

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 09:01:53 AM »
hey there..

just uninstalled comodo, installed the newest WSS, and it is working...the tray icon is in the taskbar, FN-F2 is working...

after installing comodo again, the problems is there again..WSS process is not stoppable neither by comodo firewall nor by the taskmanager..the shutdown takes ages again..tray icon is missing, and i cant start WSS manually...

so one application without the other is working perfectly..with comodo alone, shutdown is fast and there are not other problems..and without comodo and WSS installed, i can use my wireless connection. (which is of no big use at the moment anyway, because the internet in our college is dead, have to go to the IT dept)...

thanks for all the help, hopefully this problem is resolvable and everything will work with the final version of comodo firewall, as i dont want to do without comodo or WSS...

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »
just uninstalled comodo, installed the newest WSS, and it is working...the tray icon is in the taskbar, FN-F2 is working...

after installing comodo again, the problems is there again..WSS process is not stoppable neither by comodo firewall nor by the taskmanager..the shutdown takes ages again..tray icon is missing, and i cant start WSS manually...

so one application without the other is working perfectly..with comodo alone, shutdown is fast and there are not other problems..and without comodo and WSS installed, i can use my wireless connection. (which is of no big use at the moment anyway, because the internet in our college is dead, have to go to the IT dept)...

Thanks, A Hooking report would be nice but I was unable to find such software for 64bit platforms.
RootKit Hook Analyzer doesn't support 64bit platforms ATM

Quote from: http://www.resplendence.com/hookanalyzer
RootKit Hook Analyzer is for free and runs on Windows Vista, XP, 2003 and 2000 (x86 editions only).
Note: support for Windows x64 editions has been temporarily retracted and will be reintroduced in a future release.

Offline ciambridge

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »
what is a rootkit hook analyser??

if there is anything i can do to find you help the error, just tell what to do, and i will try my best..
i am not a computer scientist, so i dont have an idea whats going on..

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 09:35:16 AM »
what is a rootkit hook analyser??

if there is anything i can do to find you help the error, just tell what to do, and i will try my best..
i am not a computer scientist, so i don't have an idea whats going on..

Well it is not that you have a rootkit but since there is no log entry and the issue is not solved disabling V3 it may be a kernel hooking conflict.

Quote from: http://www.resplendence.com/hookanalyzer
Kernel hooks are out of fashion these days and not officially documented and considered deprecated by Microsoft. The pioneering heroes of the old days who discovered how to actually implement them have all adopted the new fashion of advising against using kernel hooks as a programming practice. Often kernel hooks are unnecessary because there are documented ways which allow a programmer to achieve his goal. However in a lot of system tools such as monitoring and antivirus software, kernel hooks are the only available technique to get the difficult job done and thus an unavoidable necessary evil. Important is that if your kernel system services are hooked that you can find out which is the responsible software that makes use of these techniques. Inspired by all the discussions going on about the Sony CD protection rootkit, we have developed the RootKit Hook Analyzer.

The Kernel is the core of An OS the most important and privileged part. Common software usually doesn't need and cannot access kernel directly but they use intermediate OS functions (API).

Kernel hooks are a way to modify the way an API actually work. Rootkits for example use this way to hide themselves (they forge the API results).

Anyway Security softwares usually use kernel hooks to enforce their protection (eg realtime AV scanners control some privileged OS functions in order to scan and block a bad program before it is actually loaded in memory or to protect themselves from  unauthorized termination).

I don't know if WSS actually use kernel hooks but that behaviour make me think so.

So a software that actually lists all hooks on your laptop could provide such infos but I' not aware about any 64bit free hooks reporting software you can use at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 09:37:13 AM by gibran »

Offline ~Daniel~

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Defense+ issue with Outlook 2007 and/or aVast?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
Pretty sure I had prior "good" experience with x64 3.0.8 and outlook 2007 using aVast integrated mail scanner.

I reloaded my PC a bit ago with fresh x64, then at some point moved from 3.0.8 to 3.0.9 CFP.

Yesterday, I finally got around to installing Office 2007 and activated it by opening word... tested excel, etc... and finally went to load outlook... and got an error as attached.  I figured something went wrong with the install, so i uninstalled Office 2007 completely.

Today I tried to install again, tried outlook right away, and was greeted with the same error.  This time I tried to play around with a few things, and got outlook to load by disabling Defense+.

I am not sure what Defense+ hates exactly... i figure it doesn't like the loading of the aVast "plugin" when outlook begins to load... I even tried removing the Protected COM line in the second screenie on a whim; no joy.

So as it stands, the only way I can launch Outlook 2007 is if i disable Defense+ 1st. (:SAD)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Comodo: CIS 11.X (latest version)
Backup/Imaging: Macrium Reflect Home v7.X
Win10 Phone: N/A
Personal Website: Comodo SSL (via CloudFlare)

Offline ~Daniel~

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Defense+ issue with Outlook 2007 and/or aVast?
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
For completeness sake, I also have a Logitech G15 keyboard that (as default) wants to show the number of unread e-mails on the LCD with the clock.

I altered the G15 clock config to not show the unread count, but that didn't help either.

Offline ~Daniel~

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 01:31:16 AM »
hmmm, aVast doesn't register itself as a plugin (according to the screenie).  I thought it was because when I would disable Defense+, a splash screen for aVast would also display.

very strange... I'm beginning think CFP 3.0.9 (Defense+) just doesn't like outlook 2007.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ~Daniel~

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 01:56:22 AM »
Ok... I got around the problem, but I don't understand why CFP couldn't do this itself, or prompt for it...

The manual "fix" was...
  • Disable Defense+ and open Outlook 2007 **
  • Open CFP GUI
  • click Defense+
  • click Advanced
  • click Computer Security Policy
  • scroll to Explorer.exe, highlight it and click Edit
  • click Access Rights link
  • click Modify on the Run an executable line
  • click Add then Running Process**
  • highlight Outlook and press Select**
  • click Apply 4 times to the open windows

**I would have manually browsed to the outlook.exe file, but there seems to be a bug where the file/folder viewer can't expand/refresh past a certain directory depth... so I used the method described above.

Now at least I can open Outlook without disabling Defense+... but this looks like it should have been a pretty standard rule creation.

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 07:53:13 AM »
Now at least I can open Outlook without disabling Defense+... but this looks like it should have been a pretty standard rule creation.

This is a bug. Run an executable should be the 1st alert you get when you run an app.

Anyway that behaviour seems like outlook was added to the blocked app list using D+ Common tasks.
What is your default D+ security level?

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek