Author Topic: Installer bug: Inspect.sys cannot be installed from safemode either(CFP 3.0.9.229 BETA)  (Read 21285 times)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
Re: Second beta installation not working. Help troubleshoot. Do not merge...
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
So, you have the
Helper Driver - cmdHlp.sys
Firewall Driver - inspect.sys

but you don't have the
Sandbox Driver - cmdguard.sys (which should also be in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\...)

Show Hidden Devices did not reveal all three on my system.  I have to use something like ServiWin or Whats Running.

If you don't have all necessary services and drivers installed & working properly, I'm thinking something is occurring during the installation which is messing everything up.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »
According to your first gmer report Bluecoat was hooking IP kernel functions, after you removed those software the only one hooking such functions is avast. If you uninstalled CFP and reinstalled after the second gmer report (confirm this) then there is still something interfering.

Also please confirm that the comodo non PNP drivers in device manager are running.

Please look at AVG antirootkit and avg antispyware logs to see if they are blocking something.
Look at teatimer log too.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
If you don't have all necessary services and drivers installed & working properly, I'm thinking something is occurring during the installation which is messing everything up.
That seems to be the problem... I never have an installation problem with version 2.4 or older betas on XP. Only in Vista with the latest beta.
I've tried an old beta 3.0.7.208. Didn't work either.
What I can't understand is what is blocking the installation at Safe Mode  (:AGY)

Right now, I've tried to bring back the system protection to the old state (K9, SpywareTerminator, MalwareBytes') and try to keep the Windows Vista firewall.
I'll test more tomorrow.
It's a pity that we can't have an installation log.
Thanks for your help. See you soon.
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
It is not something interfering in safemode but after.

Spybot SD teatimer for example can work also after a program was installed if I remember correctly.
Anyway there is also AVG antirootkit, we cannot predict all software interactions going on your computer.
V3 can be installed on a vista machine right out of the box so we have to guess and find what makes the difference on your machine.
But that is a long list of softwares :'(

Anyway just for reference please summarize all steps you took after you uninstalled  Bluecoat, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and Spyware Terminator.

look at your windows\inf directory for all inf files containig reference to comodo.

look on your hd for all folders named comodo.

look in the registry for HKCU\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\ and HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
You can generate a system log by running the installation through a monitoring software.  Not sure what's compat w/Vista, but things like zsoft, totaluninstall are a good place to look.  That will create your before-and-after.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
It is not something interfering in safemode but after.
Most probably...

Spybot SD teatimer for example can work also after a program was installed if I remember correctly.
I've disabled it before installing and prevent it to run after booting.
It's not removing any entry.

Anyway there is also AVG antirootkit, we cannot predict all software interactions going on your computer.
It does not run... I mean, there is a driver but it shouldn't mess anything while loading.

Anyway just for reference please summarize all steps you took after you uninstalled  Bluecoat, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and Spyware Terminator.
Uninstall them.
Boot in Safe Mode.
Install Comodo.
Boot as usual.

look at your windows\inf directory for all inf files containig reference to comodo.
Inside of the files?

look on your hd for all folders named comodo.
They're all on the default paths.

look in the registry for HKCU\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\ and HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo
First one has very few info...

Service is running but I can browse even in 'Block all' mode  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 07:21:17 PM »
You can generate a system log by running the installation through a monitoring software.  Not sure what's compat w/Vista, but things like zsoft, totaluninstall are a good place to look.  That will create your before-and-after.

LM
Here it is...

avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »
<Comodo folder>\cmdagent.exe running.
D:\Util\Internet\Comodo\cmdagent.exe (Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Service) is running and automatic starting (can't be changed).
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cmdhlp.sys (COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Driver) running.
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cmdguard.sys (Comodo Firewall Pro Sandbox Driver) running.

Registry keys seems ok at:
HKCU\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\ and HKLM\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo
at least, they're there.

Although ZSoft Log relates
FILE ADDED!   ...\inspect.sys
FILE ADDED!   ...\Repair\inspect.sys
and the file is on Comodo folder, ServiWin relates that it's NOT running. It's not listed by Autoruns in the drivers list. I can't find ANY registry key related to this inspect.sys file. There isn't any mention of it into the ZSoft Log either.

Although, it's not on ZSoft Log, this file IS here: C:\Program Files\Comodo\inspect.sys and here C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\inspect.sys
But: C:\Program Files\Comodo\ is NOT where Comodo is installed. Isn't it missed the variable %PROGRAMFOLDER% or something like that?

As it is the Comodo Firewall Pro Firewall Driver, it seems we narrowed the problem to this driver.
But what can I do?
1. File is there.
2. It's installed.
3. But it does not automatically starts...

Another thing - could not be related - but if I try to run cfpconfg.exe from the Comodo folder, both with and without admin rights, NOTHING happens.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:10:30 PM by Tech »
avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »
The inspect.sys file on C:\Program Files\Comodo\ folder has the following properties.
The access rights to that folder seems ok (System and Administrator: full access).

avast! team member

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »
The inspect.sys file on C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ folder is DIFFERENT and has the following properties.

avast! team member

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 03:03:30 AM »
Inside of the files?
Yep

They're all on the default paths.
First one has very few info...
I was listing  all the places to look after uninstallation to see if there were any remnants.

Although ZSoft Log relates
FILE ADDED!   ...\inspect.sys
FILE ADDED!   ...\Repair\inspect.sys
and the file is on Comodo folder, ServiWin relates that it's NOT running. It's not listed by Autoruns in the drivers list. I can't find ANY registry key related to this inspect.sys file. There isn't any mention of it into the ZSoft Log either.

Yep according to your previous screensot of device manager that driver is not installed

Although, it's not on ZSoft Log, this file IS here: C:\Program Files\Comodo\inspect.sys and here C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\inspect.sys
But: C:\Program Files\Comodo\ is NOT where Comodo is installed. Isn't it missed the variable %PROGRAMFOLDER% or something like that?

is it is the Comodo Firewall Pro Firewall Driver, it seems we narrowed the problem to this driver.
But what can I do?
1. File is there.
2. It's installed.
3. But it does not automatically starts...

C:\Program Files\Comodo\inspect.sys is a leftover of the previous beta probably due to system restore.
the dialog you referenced for C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\inspect.sys refers to the current beta version but it is named inspect (2).sys  probably due to system restore.

You need to uninstall again from safemode , sorry.
Then you need to remove all instances of comodo files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ expecially any inspect.sys
remove all other comodo folder from your hd as well.

Please check for comodo inf file after uninstall (enable explorer to show hidden files and folders).
After that it worths trying to install V3 in its suggested path (to exclude if it is an installer issue)

Since this may be going to be troublesome for you after you reinstall again don't reboot as it is needed to check all files are in place.
If there still no mention of "inspect" (search only this part of the name) in the registry don't bother to restart.
if inspect it is mentioned in the registry as precaution use device manager to disable(without removing) all AVG drivers.
Then if this check is Ok all that is lef it is to cross fingers and reboot

Another thing - could not be related - but if I try to run cfpconfg.exe from the Comodo folder, both with and without admin rights, NOTHING happens.

This should be ok, same here.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:44:06 AM by gibran »

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 09:27:09 AM »
You need to uninstall again from safemode , sorry.
Use device manager to disable(without removing) all AVG drivers.
I've uninstalled all AVG products (antispyware and antirootkit).
Boot in Safe Mode.
Check if there is any AVG driver running (with ServiWin), none.
Uninstalled Comodo in Safe Mode.
Boot in again.

Then you need to remove all instances of comodo files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ expecially any inspect.sys remove all other comodo folder from your hd as well.
Removed all Comodo files and registry keys. Including inf files.
Install Comodo on the default path.

Since this may be going to be troublesome for you after you reinstall again don't reboot as it is needed to check all files are in place.
The inspect.sys drive was on the system32\drivers folder. The other files, one by one, either.
Boot normally.

Same situation as before :'(
I must give up... time is passing by and there a lot of work waiting.
I'll wait next non-beta version and try again. Sorry to disappoint you giving up... but it's a pity that we cannot find which is blocking the driver to load. Next time, wish me more look.
avast! team member

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
If there still no mention of "inspect" (search only this part of the name) in the registry don't bother to restart.

Was Inspect.sys in registry soon after you installed in safe mode before rebooting?
Does it appear after reboot?

Same situation as before :'(
I must give up... time is passing by and there a lot of work waiting.
I'll wait next non-beta version and try again. Sorry to disappoint you giving up... but it's a pity that we cannot find which is blocking the driver to load. Next time, wish me more look.

Ok, I'll left this topic open for the nex 24 hours.
If you wish to test it again and  the thead is closed by then please send us a PM.

Regards,
gibran

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »
Before you close this thread...
Some info in the Windows\Inf folder.

C:\WINDOWS\inf\setupapi.app.log (part of it related to Comodo)

>>>  [Build Driver List - ROOT\NT_INSPECT\0000]
>>>  Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:49.676
      cmd: "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\snet32.tmp" -v -l inspect.inf -m inspect_m.inf -c s -i nt_Inspect
     dvi: Searching for hardware ID(s):
     dvi:      nt_inspect
     dvi: Enumerating INFs from path list 'C:\inf'
     inf: The path C:\inf\*.* is missing!
     inf: Searched 1 INFs in directory: 'C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Broadcom'
     inf: The path C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Intel3954ABG\*.* is missing!
     inf: The path C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Intel2915ABG\*.* is missing!
<<<  Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
<<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

>>>  [Select Best Driver - ROOT\NT_INSPECT\0000]
>>>  Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
      cmd: "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\snet32.tmp" -v -l inspect.inf -m inspect_m.inf -c s -i nt_Inspect
!    dvi: Selecting driver failed(0xe0000228)
<<<  Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe0000228)]

C:\WINDOWS\inf\setupapi.dev.log

>>>  [SetupCopyOEMInf - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf]
>>>  Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:46.697
     inf: Opened INF: 'C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf' ([strings] <src = normal>)
     inf: Opened INF: 'C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf' ([strings] <src = normal>)
!    inf: Package was already in store: skipping Driver Store add
     inf: Driver Store location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\inspect.inf_75de2799\inspect.inf
     inf: Published Inf Path: C:\Windows\INF\oem25.inf
     inf: OEM source media location: C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\
<<<  Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:47.165

>>>  [SetupCopyOEMInf - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf]
>>>  Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:47.165
     inf: Opened INF: 'C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf' ([strings] <src = normal>)
     inf: Opened INF: 'C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf' ([strings] <src = normal>)
!    inf: Package was already in store: skipping Driver Store add
     inf: Driver Store location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\inspect_m.inf_a90feafa\inspect_m.inf
     inf: Published Inf Path: C:\Windows\INF\oem26.inf
     inf: OEM source media location: C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\
<<<  Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:47.414

Mod edit: inf files attached in a txt file

Should I delete any of these files before trying to install Comodo (again)?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:57:58 PM by gibran »
avast! team member

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
Before you close this thread...
Some info in the Windows\Inf folder.

Should I delete any of these files before trying to install Comodo (again)?

Yep delete them all. If you find any other inf file containing a comodo reference delete them.
Maybe this will not work either but if we can confirm that inspect.sys is not installed in safe mode we can file this as an installation bug.
On the other hand if inspect.sys is referenced in registry in safemode but disappear booting in windows we have at less narrowed it to this possibility.

If the driver was installed but was nonfunctional booting in normal mode it would be still referenced in Device manager and an error code would be displayed under its properties
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:28:06 PM by gibran »

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek