Author Topic: Installer bug: Inspect.sys cannot be installed from safemode either(CFP 3.0.9.229 BETA)  (Read 20754 times)

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
Re: Messed posts?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »
I'll edit the posts. But, when I've wrote it you haven't answered my post (not merged). Indeed, it's not fair right now. Sorry, I'll edit them.

I replied to your 1st post after 5 minutes after you posted it 88)
If you look at my profile you'll find that your subsequent posts were made at 4 AM (my local time) this forum is a worldwide one...

Sorry, the end of your post seem that your upset with my behavior.
Exactly, I'm not upset with you so there is no need to apologize as I merely listed other points to consider.

I understand these reasons and the merging policy. Sorry, don't want to start a fight. On contrary, I want my Comodo working  :)
If it was possible we could merge posts after an issue like this is solved but the posts will be disrupted anyway since SMF use the time to sort posts in a thread. We cannot create new boards to archive and categorize old posts as well.
It would be a good idea to address specific issues in a specific topic but if this take place members will start deserting the bugreporting topic.
I know that this forum is not a wiki but in the end it should provide information in a way that all members can benefit from or it will lose its true meaning. I attempted to split previous bugreporting topics by issue type but I cluttered the board more than anyone and I had to quote all posts from the bugreporting topics to the splitted ones causing much more confusion.

We are constantly searching for better solutions so we'll warmly welcome all suggestion that will make all members' (mods and admins included) forum experience better :-*

So I hope we can solve your issue and you can start enjoying your stay as well. :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:49:08 PM by gibran »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Second beta installation not working. Help troubleshoot. Do not merge...
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »
Is there any log of the installation process?

I fear not but if you look at \Program files\COMODO\Firewall\Repair these are all files that COMODO installed on your system.

Microsoft System information can be started running msinfo32.exe. You may want to edit all sensible info from the txt file that you save using this app.

From a limited searching there are at least two softwares that use system drivers (it is likely they use kernel hooks too)

• SpywareTerminator
  • PeerGuardian

There may be others as well so I hope that gmer will list all these multiple hooks drivers.

What firewall you had before V3 other than pc tools?

There is a last resort way too remove unwanted drivers that sould apply to Vista as well but don't use it now.
Quote from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us
To work around this behavior and display devices when you click Show hidden devices:
1.   Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2.   At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3.   Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc
4.   Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
5.   When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
6.   Type exit at the command prompt.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

If you are a developer or power user and you want to be able to view devices that are not connected to your computer, set this environment variable globally:
1.   Right-click My Computer.
2.   Click Properties.
3.   Click the Advanced tab.
4.   Click the Environment Variables tab.
5.   Set the variables in the System Variables box.

NOTE: Use this method only for troubleshooting or development purposes, or to prevent users from accidentally uninstalling a required device that is not connected to the computer (such as a USB device or docking station that is not connected to a laptop computer).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:20:07 AM by gibran »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
Back to the problems...
Installed in Safe Mode. The network firewall isn't working. There is no traffic being logged. No popups.
The GMER log zipped and renamed to GMER.zip.txt is here.
Full profile of installed applications and operational system in a word document zipped and renamed to Belarc Computer Profile Summary.doc.zip.txt file.

Is there any log of the installation process?
I can't find any log at \Program files\COMODO\Firewall\Repair folder...

Microsoft System information can be started running msinfo32.exe. You may want to edit all sensible info from the txt file that you save using this app.
I think Belarc log can replace it...

From a limited searching there are at least two softwares that use system drivers (it is likely they use kernel hooks too)

• SpywareTerminator
  • PeerGuardian

There may be others as well so I hoope that gmer will list all these multiple hooks drivers.
I've installed at Safe Mode, does it make any difference?

Comodo.
My history was: Comodo beta (I'm not sure it was working as no popups at all). Then PCTools. Then Comodo (installed and uninstalled a lot of times). I've used the Vista Firewall Control (standalone) once. No other firewalls besides these.

[attachment deleted by admin]
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
There is no log  \Program files\COMODO\Firewall\Repair but these are the file V3 use to repair itself. This means that if you find any of these in another folder other than repair it was installed by comodo.

The uninstall process is handled by cfpconfg.exe -u, there is no log.

Installing in safemode prevents any software to mess with the installation process but it doesn't solve issues generated by conflicting softwares.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:20:35 AM by gibran »

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »
Please  repost the zipped files without renaming them as txt or they will not be handled correctly.

Offline zoszos

• Comodo Loves me
  • Taxi anyone!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
I also had the message network firewall or similar (can't remember exactly)  on the bottom of the cfp windows (all tabs).

And there was no popups for any network/Internet connections. I uninstalled reinstalled to no success.
What work for me was to search the reg for references to cfp and comodo and delete them (only delete if you are comfortable with using the registry as it can cause problems if not done right and to back up the registry before doing).

The registry does have a search function to make it easier and you can use the f3 key to continue the search  after each item is found just remember to careful if deleting anything.

The install again and hopefully it will work (well it did in my case).
Zos
Windows 10 Pro
CIS
Asus P8 77-M
Intel i7 3770[at]3.4 GHz
G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 12800 (800 MHz)
Gigabyte ATI HD 7700 Series Graphics
Corsair 120 GB  Sata 3 SSD
Seagate 500GB Sata 2 HDD
Power Supply Antec HGC-900 900W
Cooler Master Case

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 08:14:32 AM »
Oh... sorry, I've forgot that the notebook came with NIS. I've uninstalled Norton Internet Security (firewall + antivirus) at the first boot. Then used SyNRT tool to remove any remains. Windows Security Center does not detect NIS since that time. My Registry seems to be clean from Symantec entries.
Now, posting again the files in zip format.

avast! team member

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
Do you have Bluecoat K9 Web Protection?

Edit: Ok,I read your belarc report. Please try to uninstall Bluecoat from safemode and report any changes.
Please post another gmer repost after that as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:11:30 AM by gibran »

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 11:02:14 AM »
I note that MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware is also a Beta product.  This isn't necessarily a problem, but could be, depending on its stability, and how it works.  Unfortunately, since their site doesn't say anything about it publicly, we don't know how it works...

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
I note that MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware is also a Beta product.
Uninstalled.

Do you have Bluecoat K9 Web Protection?
Uninstalled.

Also, Spyware Terminator uninstalled.
Preparing GMER log...

avast! team member

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
And after each of these, have you tried to see if the v3 problem persists?  Note:  You may need to uninstall/reinstall in SafeMode (as per previous discussion) with each step in the event there was an install conflict.  But first, try without the reinstall.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »
And after each of these, have you tried to see if the v3 problem persists?  Note:  You may need to uninstall/reinstall in SafeMode (as per previous discussion) with each step in the event there was an install conflict.  But first, try without the reinstall.

LM
Sorry, the conflict (or problem) is there yet...
No inbound/outbound connections are shown in CPF GUI, so it's not working...
Although, CPF is related as being active by Windows Security Center.

avast! team member

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »
Please post a pic of your device manager enabling hidden devices.
also search for cmdhlp.sys on your hd.

After uninstalling CFP from safemode look for comodo .inf files (you should unhide hidden folder first)

hi,

In c:\windows\inf directory, you will find files with this format OEM*.* for example OEM1.inf or OEM2.pnf.

2 of these files, must have COMODO entry in it. Please try to delete them and retry installing to see if it helps.

Egemen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:53:29 PM by gibran »

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »
If you look at your running processes, is cmdagent.exe one of them?

Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Service should be started (Automatic) and running normally.

You should have the following drivers installed and running normally:
Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Driver - cmdHlp.sys
Comodo Firewall Pro Firewall Driver - inspect.sys
Comodo Firewall Pro Sandbox Driver - cmdguard.sys

LM
Forum Policy

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »
Please post a pic of your device manager enabling hidden devices.
Comodo is listed on drivers non-plug&play.

also search for cmdhlp.sys on your hd.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\cmdhlp.sys
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\Repair\cmdhlp.sys

After uninstalling CFP from safemode look for comodo .inf files (you should unhide hidden folder first)
Should I uninstall (again)?

If you look at your running processes, is cmdagent.exe one of them?
It's there, running from System account.

Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Service should be started (Automatic) and running normally.
ok and running.

You should have the following drivers installed and running normally:
Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Driver - cmdHlp.sys
Comodo Firewall Pro Firewall Driver - inspect.sys
Comodo Firewall Pro Sandbox Driver - cmdguard.sys
The first one I can see on the Devices. Both 1st and 3rd are listed by Autoruns drivers.
But not the 2nd... The files exists in:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\inspect.sys
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\inspect.sys
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\Repair\inspect.sys

Thanks for all efforts!

avast! team member

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek