Author Topic: CPF 3.0.11.246 RC1 32-Bit Bug Reports  (Read 62373 times)

Offline dcyloo

• The Older Gamers
Re: CPF 3.0.11.246 RC1 32-Bit Bug Reports
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2007, 11:00:06 PM »
Minor one that I've just noticed.  Under the Miscellaneous --> Settings --> General Tab
The second item is "Show the baloon messages"

Typo.

Offline merktnichts

Alerts do not show when using Remote Desktop Connection
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2007, 03:44:42 AM »
As my report didn't get attention in the big thread, I'm posting it as a new thread now, as this problem is very important for me (and others I guess).

Very problematic bug with RC1 (3.0.11.246):

When using a Remote Desktop Connection, CFP's alerts do not show. Instead the network traffic connections are silently blocked and time out after some time. As a result if there is no rule for that specific traffic yet, the network for the network application is unusable and completely blocked.

When using the computer locally, all alerts do show up as expected.

This is on a 32-Bit XP Professional, using Microsoft's Remote Desktop. CPF is configured to run in Custom Policy Mode with highest level of alerts. But it seems that this is a general problem, no matter how CPF is configured.

Edited additional information:

Affected Software information
- CPF 3.0.11.246 RC1 32-Bit

Operating System information
- Windows XP SP2 German

Actively-running security and utility applications
- none

Specific symptoms of the bug, and steps you can take to reproduce it.
- Clear rules for Application XY
- Connect to PC via Microsoft's Built-In Remote Desktop
- Use Application XY
-> Result: When Application XY wants to do network traffic, it is blocked and no alert is being shown.
-> Expected behaviour would be that CPF's alerts do show as if you were using the PC locally.

Specific steps you have taken in attempt to resolve it.
- Nothing a user can do change this behaviour.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:10:50 AM by merktnichts »

Offline ilpippo

cmdagent with 100% cpu and wuauserv
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
After using comodo 2.x for a while, lately I tried comodo's v3.0.11.246 version.
I noticed that after startup cmdagent.exe process is stuck to 100% of cpu usage. If I kill it from the task manager and restart it from the command line ("net start cmdagent") everything works well, but it randomly comes back using 100% of the cpu.
I tried to track the problem down, and I disabled all the third party programs automatically executed during the system startup except comodo (from the startup folder, the registry and also the services).
This didn't solve the problem. So I tried to disable also some windows services and I discovered that the problem is caused by windows update service. If wuauserv is disabled during startup, I have no problems at all.
I reenabled all the other programs and services, and everything is working fine until I start wuauserv. If it's enabled during startup cmdagent gets stuck to 100% of the cpu, while if I start it after the startup cmdagent after a while (randomly) goes to the 100% of cpu usage.
My system is xp sp2 professional on a 32 bits p4 processor. I never had this kind of problems using comodo v2.x.
Is anybody else having this problem?
Thanks

Offline snusa

Proactive Defense+ issue: while using Installation Mode..... RC1
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »
Installation mode didn't appear to work at all while installing Itunes...
Screenshot included.

Even though in installation mode, the Itunes installation resulted in CPF rc1 popping up at least 100 orange defence+ screens looking for my permission to continue.

Thought I was going to wear out my mouse button....

Also, why does the learning notification box have to constantly pop up right on top of the allow/deny screen?  These should by default be located in two separate screen locations.  Even better, how about some balloon text appearing from the taskbar icon indicating CPF is learning...

PS:  There should be a way to put the Defense+ service into installation mode right from the taskbar via a right click, without opening the main screen.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:05:01 PM by snusa »

Offline snusa

Abnormal application termination error - RC1
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
Here's the snippet of the crash.  (Vistsa Ultimate)

I was logged in as std user, and switched (logged on) to an Admin account.
I did this because there was a pending temporary file (in the admin ie temp. directory) I tried to move into a safe file.  (was a large MS download file for office 2007.)  When I went to try and move it, it indicated it could not and that it already appeared to be listed in the approved list.  (Which it was not.)  I assumed I needed to  log on as admin to move it...

I after logging on as an admin, I still received same error, so I ran purge under admin.  System purged the item in the list because it apparently was not actually there in the first place.  (Don't know why CPF3 thought it was?)

Anyways... After logging of the admin account and switching back to the standard account..... BLAMMMO.....  Here is the error returned when CPF3 RC1 terminated....

Forgot to mention hardware info...

System: Lenovo t61p core2-duo w/2gig ram... New & clean.
Using ESET Nod32 v3 AV.  (Seems to work great with CFW3)
Vista Ultimate - Ho-Hum.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
  • A bad workman always blames his tools
Re: cmdagent with 100% cpu and wuauserv
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »
After using comodo 2.x for a while, lately I tried comodo's v3.0.11.246 version.
I noticed that after startup cmdagent.exe process is stuck to 100% of cpu usage. If I kill it from the task manager and restart it from the command line ("net start cmdagent") everything works well, but it randomly comes back using 100% of the cpu.
I tried to track the problem down, and I disabled all the third party programs automatically executed during the system startup except comodo (from the startup folder, the registry and also the services).
This didn't solve the problem. So I tried to disable also some windows services and I discovered that the problem is caused by windows update service. If wuauserv is disabled during startup, I have no problems at all.
I reenabled all the other programs and services, and everything is working fine until I start wuauserv. If it's enabled during startup cmdagent gets stuck to 100% of the cpu, while if I start it after the startup cmdagent after a while (randomly) goes to the 100% of cpu usage.
My system is xp sp2 professional on a 32 bits p4 processor. I never had this kind of problems using comodo v2.x.
Is anybody else having this problem?
Thanks

Please try to assign Windows System Application policy to that process.
Report back any changes
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline AnotherOne

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
Hi snusa - The problem with the install probably resulted because of a second installer being invoked by the first one, which you designated as an installer.  I notice that msiexec.exe is cited in your screenshot.  That is a Microsoft installer and is probably started by the iTunes installer during the install.  If you had noticed the change and then clicked the "Treat as" button and selected "Installer" a second time, the problem would be fixed.  About the item not actually on your system that you removed by using "Purge", a number of temporary files are created during installs and even the normal operation of your system.  They are often not deleted normally and show up as "new" when they have actually been removed during operations.  "Purge" identifies these and removes them from the list.
What do you mean, my shoes are on the wrong feet???  These are the only feet I've got!

Offline Chappy

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
Hi Guys

Fresh install of Vista 32Bit, installed NOD32 then Comodo with Firewall ONLY, no Defence +.
34 Updates were available for fresh install, all downloaded well and (supposedly) installed and required reboot. Upon reboot the system stayed on the "Configuring Updates" screen before shutdown for quite some time but possibly due to number of updates. System reboots and another "Windows is configuring Updates" screen for a VERY long time, then system restarts suddenly and then goes to the "Configuring Updates" screen again. Stays there forever it seems then boots but ALL updates fail.

I did this 4 times and every time it was the same thing and all the updates failed.
Uninstalled CFP and all updates succeed.

Obviously we have a WinUpdate issue again, I noticed one other with this issue after reading the first 8 pages of this thread, but without a fresh install I guess most of the posters here don't have any available updates anyway.

Vista 32Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Nod32 2.7.39
No other apps installed at the time

Dave

Offline asdfasdf02349234ukdfgasdklf

Unable to connect to internet after hibernate
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2007, 01:43:28 AM »
Hello there!

I'm relatively new to Comodo Firewall Pro and after years of using ZoneAlarm recently tried to switch to this software - testing the CFP v3 RC1.

However on my notebook I found a very curious thing happening.
I have installed:

- Windows XP SP2 (German) including all up to date hotfixes
- Kaspersky AV v6

When sending the notebook to hibernate or even when disconnecting from the internet (using a dial-up-connection or severing the LAN to the router) and trying to go online again, I can't seem to establish a connection. No data will get through although I am seemingly connected.
It doesn't matter which browser I use or whether I go online using my router or a modem. After a hibernate or even a disconnection, my PC is unable to connect again.

The only thing that helps is a reboot - not the fastest way to say the least.
Whereever the problem lies, it is not enough to throw CFP out of the autostart. I had to completely uninstall it for the problem to vanish.

I hope you guys here can help me, because I was really im impressed with CFP - but right now this simply is unacceptable. With a desktop PC it would be one thing. But with a laptop hibernate is a very useful feature. And I can't do without it.

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
VSG

Offline snusa

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
Hi snusa - The problem with the install probably resulted because of a second installer being invoked by the first one, which you designated as an installer.  I notice that msiexec.exe is cited in your screenshot.  That is a Microsoft installer and is probably started by the iTunes installer during the install.  If you had noticed the change and then clicked the "Treat as" button and selected "Installer" a second time, the problem would be fixed.  About the item not actually on your system that you removed by using "Purge", a number of temporary files are created during installs and even the normal operation of your system.  They are often not deleted normally and show up as "new" when they have actually been removed during operations.  "Purge" identifies these and removes them from the list.

What makes no sense in this situation is that the file that "really wasn't there" was a file from a download several months ago...  Mabe somehow IE loaded, (I think it did as a result of clicking the forum link from CPF.)  and it purged the temp files itself.  That is all I can think of, because I only use IE for MS related downloads.

Offline ilpippo

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »
Please try to assign Windows System Application policy to that process.
Report back any changes
I changed the policy of Windows Updater Applications group (which includes svchost, wuauclt and wupdmgr) from Installer to Windows System Application but no luck: after Windows restart, I had 100% cpu usage from cmdagent again :(

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2007, 01:37:36 PM »
I changed the policy of Windows Updater Applications group (which includes svchost, wuauclt and wupdmgr) from Installer to Windows System Application but no luck: after Windows restart, I had 100% cpu usage from cmdagent again :(

Then post all the info suggested at the top of this page hopefully this could provide info to fix this issue in future versions.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Offline ilpippo

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
Then post all the info suggested at the top of this page hopefully this could provide info to fix this issue in future versions.
Well, I think that I already wrote most of the required information... Anyway, here's the list:
- Computer information:
p4, 32bits, single core with HT
- Operating System information (OS version and Service Packs):
win XP SP2 professional 32 bits
- Actively-running security and utility applications:
AVG Free AntiVirus, plus various small utilities. Anyway the problem happens also when all the utilities and the antivirus are disabled during the restart (and I mean either programs with shortcuts in the start menu and services and keys in the registry).
- Specific symptoms of the bug, and steps you can take to reproduce it:
Starting the pc with wuauserv automatically executed always leads to my problem. Any other change that I did seemed completely useless.
- Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it:
Well, not much... I've tried to change some settings of cpf but it didn't solve the problem.
I guess that all I can do now is to try to play some more with cpf settings, hoping that something happens...

Offline gibran

• Average User
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
Well, I think that I already wrote most of the required information... Anyway, here's the list:
- Computer information:
p4, 32bits, single core with HT
- Operating System information (OS version and Service Packs):
win XP SP2 professional 32 bits
- Actively-running security and utility applications:
AVG Free AntiVirus, plus various small utilities. Anyway the problem happens also when all the utilities and the antivirus are disabled during the restart (and I mean either programs with shortcuts in the start menu and services and keys in the registry).
- Specific symptoms of the bug, and steps you can take to reproduce it:
Starting the pc with wuauserv automatically executed always leads to my problem. Any other change that I did seemed completely useless.
- Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it:
Well, not much... I've tried to change some settings of cpf but it didn't solve the problem.
I guess that all I can do now is to try to play some more with cpf settings, hoping that something happens...

Thanks, cmdagent 100% cpu load is a reported issue maybe some common software is causing this.
This issue seems a tough one to me :(

Offline zoszos

• Comodo Loves me
  • Taxi anyone!
Slow Pop Up Fixed
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »
I have what may be a bug when run s new programmes etc for the first time ter pop up to allow deny is taking a long time to appear sometime up to a minute. And today I'm getting some where there is no pop up at all and an error of cant find files specified so cannot run programme. If turn Defense+ off the programme will run straight away as long as the error message has not appeared.

I have uninstalled and reinisalled a few times all to no avail
I am running Boclean as well.
So much waiting for things to happen.

Edit Solution: I went to miscellaneous settings update uncheck automatically perform an online lookup for the unrecognised files.
I'm guessing its taking a long time to look up. Now it's instant pop up.
Maybe it should not be on by default.
Zos
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:34:50 AM by zoszos »
Windows 10 Pro
CIS
Asus P8 77-M
Intel i7 3770[at]3.4 GHz
G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 12800 (800 MHz)
Gigabyte ATI HD 7700 Series Graphics
Corsair 120 GB  Sata 3 SSD
Seagate 500GB Sata 2 HDD
Power Supply Antec HGC-900 900W