Author Topic: Which Product to develop next?  (Read 534372 times)

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
Re: Which Product to develop next?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »
An application to stop registry keys from being added without permission, this application could also stop the keys from known 'spyware' and 'trojans' from ever exploiting this feature

This functionality is usually included in a HIPS. Stay tuned .....

ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline @ss

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »
i think it maybe good thing if Comodo tries to develop system utilities program , it's very needed this day .

for example developing a product that contain things like registry cleaners and defragmenter and also disk cleaner and defragmenter . also uninstaller and start-up utilities , registry editor and some tweakers . something like tune-up utilities or system utilities , i think that now there's almost no free good product for that job .

also u guys can begin to think about firefox integration and espicially for the anti -malware .

also u can think about making system watchdog , something like prevx and winpatrol and add things like IE and Firefox cleaner , history cleaner ...............

there's alot of stuff u can develop  (CLY)

(WCF11)

Offline Scott B.

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 08:31:38 AM »
Registry protection software is often misused and misunderstood, and terrible to control. If you develop such a product, please make a good manual for it. Alot of people do not realize such software can break your system quite easily... like if your using NERO for instance which modifies the registry regularly... :)

It also can be a reaaaaly pain when having such soft on during software installs, it can break everything... I do not like this kind of software, as it does often times more damage than good.

Besides, CAV should provide protection against unwanted registry changes by malware.

And yes, please integrate the products with Firefox, Thunderbird and Opera, would rule ;)

Offline NightRider

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
Hi,

I would like a product which  individual encrypts/decrypts files, folders or the whole hard drive. Also a secure folder to dumb confidential information, which has a password to it better than the big boys. Also a program to scan and clean up a hard drive securely removing all traces.

Also Iwould like to see Comodo release an anti-spy software and addd to the firewall a vulnerability detector with the ability to allow you to choose how to deal with it . Like the ability to download patches and fixes or do it manually.

Keep up the good work (B)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:05:08 PM by NightRider »

Offline sidneybarros

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 02:58:36 AM »
Anti Phishing, Comodo Web Browser Toolbar, Something like Roboform. Intergration for Firefox, Thunderbird. Voip like YAK. Firewall intergration for router's like Linksys, Netgear, US Robotics. Wireless Security like MYWIFI.

Offline 1nf3s73d

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm not sure if this would generally but I'll ask any way
it's not a new product but re-engineering your already well known stuff...
ask any pc user out side of the blue screen of death what would like to change most some will say this and that but usually it does come back to...
"after spending forever and a day down loading...
loading the program...
and when (almost) all is said and done
you gotta reboot....
so you:
close everything you were working on 
get off the internet
make sure everything is alright...
reboot
and hope to what ever higher power you believe in that nothing goes wrong...
other wise start from scratch...."
to make a long story short
go in the path of linux and make a "non-rebootable" program...
most people will eat it up especially people w/ high speed internet
picture some one just downloads cpf likes it they don't have to reboot
then down load the AV then I vault then....
I'm sure you get the point...
if not think about the IT guy(s) who's gotta load / update / reinstall / etc. all the programs
you're 'bout as ate up as a soup sandwich in the middle of the ocean dur'n a tsunami...

Offline aussiebear

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 07:55:19 AM »
Which Product to develop next?

A granular access-control solution that allows complete control over registry permissions, file permissions, what can be written, what can't be, etc. Basically, I want something that's similar to what is found in SELinux, but easy to use like Novell's Apparmor.

Examples of current solutions in Windows:

Core Force
http://force.coresecurity.com/

Good
* Full control over everything.
* Integrated firewall via Windows port of OpenBSD's pf (packet filter).
* Uses community developed profiles.

Bad
* Difficult to setup. (As in, you need to read and understand before creating profiles for your apps).
* Community is still small, as it takes time to understand (reading, etc) how to setup profiles, as well as follow their submission guidelines.
* Not suitable for non-techie folks.

GeSWall
http://www.gentlesecurity.com/

Good
* Easy to setup.
* Can add your own profiles for each application.

Bad
* Relies on a company to develop a profile for your specific apps. (currently, support is limited to just popular applications...Its not good if you're an impatient person.)
* Creating your own profile is difficult...Harder than Core Force. (Do you really want to find the right registry Keys and paths for your applications?)

What I'm proposing is to have such a solution that is the "last line of defence" application. This is what I see as a "worse case scenario", where all the signature and heuristic based methods of detection fail. The point of this approach is to limit and contain the damage of a system, such that an exploit doesn't take the whole system, but the damage is contained to a specfic application instead.

I reckon this solution should be closely coupled with the Personal Firewall. (To offer an integrated solution, like what is found in Core Force).

The challenge for Comodo, would be to introduce a method or interface that makes it relatively easy to create our own profiles to be submitted/tested, AND to have a "learning mode", such that if you're not technically inclined or just plain lazy, the application will build a profile based on how you use your app. (any major deviation, like suddenly attempting to delete doc files without user permission is denied).

Note: This approach does NOT replace Comodo's AV/anti-spyware solution, but is a supplement. This acts like a "last ditch" defence, in case other solutions fail. It does significantly enhance Comodo's Personal Firewall by a tremendous amount...It will no longer be some "typical Windows Personal Firewall" solution. But something that could even make Linux users a little curious about.

This solution also provides a "workaround" until Microsoft can get off its fat butt and release a patch in a timely manner. (Monthly updates is NOT timely, especially when it comes to electronic speeds of malware infections).

Sure, you may put some AV companies out of business with this approach, but that's technically not our problem, is it? :)

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 01:40:50 PM »
Which Product to develop next?

A granular access-control solution that allows complete control over registry permissions, file permissions, what can be written, what can't be, etc. Basically, I want something that's similar to what is found in SELinux, but easy to use like Novell's Apparmor.

Examples of current solutions in Windows:

Core Force
http://force.coresecurity.com/

Good
* Full control over everything.
* Integrated firewall via Windows port of OpenBSD's pf (packet filter).
* Uses community developed profiles.

Bad
* Difficult to setup. (As in, you need to read and understand before creating profiles for your apps).
* Community is still small, as it takes time to understand (reading, etc) how to setup profiles, as well as follow their submission guidelines.
* Not suitable for non-techie folks.

GeSWall
http://www.gentlesecurity.com/

Good
* Easy to setup.
* Can add your own profiles for each application.

Bad
* Relies on a company to develop a profile for your specific apps. (currently, support is limited to just popular applications...Its not good if you're an impatient person.)
* Creating your own profile is difficult...Harder than Core Force. (Do you really want to find the right registry Keys and paths for your applications?)

What I'm proposing is to have such a solution that is the "last line of defence" application. This is what I see as a "worse case scenario", where all the signature and heuristic based methods of detection fail. The point of this approach is to limit and contain the damage of a system, such that an exploit doesn't take the whole system, but the damage is contained to a specfic application instead.

I reckon this solution should be closely coupled with the Personal Firewall. (To offer an integrated solution, like what is found in Core Force).

The challenge for Comodo, would be to introduce a method or interface that makes it relatively easy to create our own profiles to be submitted/tested, AND to have a "learning mode", such that if you're not technically inclined or just plain lazy, the application will build a profile based on how you use your app. (any major deviation, like suddenly attempting to delete doc files without user permission is denied).

Note: This approach does NOT replace Comodo's AV/anti-spyware solution, but is a supplement. This acts like a "last ditch" defence, in case other solutions fail. It does significantly enhance Comodo's Personal Firewall by a tremendous amount...It will no longer be some "typical Windows Personal Firewall" solution. But something that could even make Linux users a little curious about.

This solution also provides a "workaround" until Microsoft can get off its fat butt and release a patch in a timely manner. (Monthly updates is NOT timely, especially when it comes to electronic speeds of malware infections).

Sure, you may put some AV companies out of business with this approach, but that's technically not our problem, is it? :)

So, a combination HIPS, behaviour blocker and sandbox that could interact with the firewall and create rules and app profiles automatically would be of some interest then?  ;)

Hmmmmm?

Ewen :-)

P.S. Good to see another aussie running amok.
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".

comicfan2000

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
 How about the Comodo Browser? You can attach trials of your software to it and promote full free versions of others while you are at it. It would be great and if you need volunteers to help collect web page info etc...i'm sure many of us would. This would also mean you could use top sites etc...to generate revenue! Since Comodo is looking to generate revenue from free products, this would be the best way to do so.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:51:33 AM by comicfan2000 »

Offline Justin L.

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 05:21:32 PM »
How about the Comodo Browser? You can attach trials of your software to it and promote full free versions of others while you are at it. It would be great and if you need volunteers to help collect web page info etc...i'm sure many of us would. This would also mean you could use top sites etc...to generate revenue! Since Comodo is looking to generate revenue from free products, this would be the best way to do so.

I really like this idea and it also falls into the catagory of security and trust because everyone needs a secure and safe web browser. Well guys what do you say?
Windows 8 64-bit; Intel Core i3 2350 [at] 2.30 GHz w/ 6GB RAM
CIS 6.1.276867.2813 - Complete

comicfan2000

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 11:47:51 PM »
Thank you for complimenting my browser idea. I changed it since this was a 10 min throw together with a better looking browser. It's raining, i'm home early from work, and kids are asleep, i'm bored ,lol, so if you recheck the attachment, it'll be a bit different.

Paul

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 02:52:47 AM »
Thank you for complimenting my browser idea. I changed it since this was a 10 min throw together with a better looking browser. It's raining, i'm home early from work, and kids are asleep, i'm bored ,lol, so if you recheck the attachment, it'll be a bit different.

Paul

Crap! Paris cant follow the recipe for ice!

comicfan2000

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 03:52:17 AM »
Crap! Paris cant follow the recipe for ice!

Ok, fine but she does have a solution, please read again.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 05:55:57 AM »
Ok, fine but she does have a solution, please read again.

Paris. Nature's frantic attempt to cover a vaccuum.

comicfan2000

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 02:50:46 AM »
Paris. Nature's frantic attempt to cover a vaccuum.

Here's the new development. I will post a personal back on most of it.

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek