The Future of Computer Security

A HIPS program is not the panacea.
People (I include me myself) will be tired of answering questions and then the HIPS fails…
I really can trust myself taking all the decisions of what is clean and what is infected in my computer. I trust in serious security companies.
Zero day attacks need a special attention: heuristic, generic signatures, algorithm detection… Some things you can achieve with a good security suite (or a set of standalone programs).

About the future of antivirus, at least on 2010, the three most downloaded programs are antivirus, free: http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20024438-12.html

Combining:

The arithmetics of the 2010 year are:
avast! 141 million
AVG 132 million
Avira 105 million

Of course, downloaded is not the final number. But it is a number after all.
Let’s see Comodo in the list :wink:

Comodo does not push downloads from its site to other download sites. (eg when u download from Comodo.com, you are downloading from comodo.com. we do not then push a user to a download site)

Comodo does not pay advertisers to push its free downloads.

So, do you have a number for your own downloads? Can it be disclosed?

Good. I hope the others aren’t doing it, right? :wink:

We don’t have the downloads. We only have actual installations. we have around 15M installations last 12 months.

This is PURELY from word of mouth. and ZERO advertising dollars :wink:

Melih

I need to spend money with adds in my work.
It’s not the evil, is it? :slight_smile:

I don’t understand what is your point?

That I do not consider any money spent with adds as a bad thing.
You say: “ZERO advertising dollars”.
But, indeed, give money to artificially rise the download number is a “bad” thing that I “hope” serious companies do not do.

Nope…never said its a bad thing…

What i am saying is: doing all that using “ONLY” word of mouth is a “GOOD THING” :slight_smile:

Ok. We understand each other :slight_smile:

The future of computer security is…

1. use linux or other inherently safer OS. Not quite 100% safe, but near enough for me, or…

2. turn the PC off, use a typewriter and send it by fax, or pigeon ;D

Regarding #2; pigeon always can be interfered :slight_smile:

linux? I keep smirking each time I see someone saying linux is more secure then windows, it’s like comparing honey crisps apples to watermelons, Both are fruits but completely different taste… and both can rot…

Linux is the minority thus it’s not ‘popular’ … So Hackers/Malware Dev’s go where the money and popularity it at :slight_smile:

Hope this helps…

PS Future of Computer Security is C-OS :slight_smile:

Jake

You mean D-OS ???

;D

Wouldn’t that the same or very close to return were much of this started…Television?

That’s the inner view I receive when people tells that the most secure solution will be by manage and run all this from the cloud. What’s about all the mistakes then that people do when communicate online everyday? Never heard of Facebook or other communities where people meet?

Assume you knowing these things as you now read this :wink:

I think he meant Comodo OS. 8)

(CLY) (:WAV)

DOS, who uses DOS now-a-days?
Seriously, What we do today would take more then 40 Time longer (Minimum of 40 times) on a “Legacy” OS

Even the Great DOS had exploits, there is no perfect software or hardware, that is why we always have upgrades/updates/patch’s
Even a hammer isn’t perfect…
Unless its a Craftsman (Just kidding)

I wasn’t discussing where all this started but even DOS wasn’t the first “Operating System” it was one of the popular ones back in the early/mid 80’s …

I do not like the idea of the ‘cloud’ Actually I’m kind of against it… Thats just me…

And To confirm i was speaking of Comodo OS

Duh, cavemen. :wink:
The government, for example.

a very interesting read. And totally agree.

People also need education on basic computer stuff in schools. Just one lesson on basic security, frauds, etc… The problem is that people simply install an antivirus solution and think that is all they need to be safe. Just answer all questions it asks with “yes” and “allow”, because after all I have an antivirus to protect me right?

It’s like going to church every week and declaring Jesus to be your Lord and Saviour, while in private life doing all the sinful things and believing they will reach heaven simply because they ‘Jesus Anti-Hell security’.

Knowledge is power, and we can only do so much to automate things for the non-knowing (or rather ‘lazy’ because the know-how is out there, you just need to open your eyes and take the time to read).

I am a managing director of a company called Business Power UK Ltd and i currently use your SSL certificates for my compnay https://www.businesspower.uk.com/.

I am sorry to contact you directly in this manner, but I have exausted all other means of communication from COMODO Support ( Support Ticket:JQY-392316) and I need to get my hard drive data back.

I downloaded and installed Comodo Disk Ecryption and started the process of encrypting my hard drive. I set a password for the encrypted data but i never set up a boot time password. I remember I also unticked the USB option. I had to go out and shut down my computer once the encryption process had finished, when I returned and turned on my computer it came up asking for a boot password, i tried the one i used for the encryption, but it came up with an error message re the operating system.

I NEVER set a password up for the boot and after speaking to UK supportand they suggested FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, it resolved the password problem and there is now no prompt, however it wont allow me to go any further and comes back with a message saying disk read error occurred and is asking to cntl, alt del to restart

I tried to take out the hard drive and connect it to another computer as suggested in the forums, with many people suffering from the same problem, it showed the c and d drives in the my computer section, but wont allow me to access it, i installed CDE onto the other computer and it is showing the d drive of the now external drive but not the c drive with all my data.

After still no response from the ticket issued on the 6th July I took my hard drive to a foresic data recovery lab last thursday and after 3 days they said they cannot recover the data as they cannot access the C drive, to decrypt the data. I am now being charged £200.00 ($320.00 USD) for this service and I still have no access to my data which is including ALL the information for my UK companies accounts (Due on the 31st Sept 2011 !!) as well very valuable company information. So far I have also lost 2 weeks of business !!!

I am a customer of COMODO SSL, i have COMODO fire wall and anti virus on my computer, until now I avidly promoted your products, but your company have left me in very bad position with no support. If i have to send the hard drive to you directly to recover the data then i will and i dont want to go through the litigation route, but I need to recover my data ASAP.

I look forward to your response and soloution

Kind Regards

Christopher Murphy
Managing Director
Business Power UK Ltd