The Everything Is Off-Topic Thread

Ohhhh ! Right ! Now I understand you. Phew ! ;D You have a separate partition, where you keep your stuff. :slight_smile: I thought you have an 80 GB drive and 78 GB free :o ;D

I have 4 partitions - One for Windows and Apps to install, one for Games only, one for Music and Films, and one for Backup software, pictures and documents :slight_smile:

Okay - L.A. - you’re a clean freak, but a normal clean freak ;D

Who is normal ???

:■■■■

I only have one

[attachment deleted by admin]

I’ll have one on you, too, Soya: :■■■■

L.A. is normal. ;D And Soya - Why ? It’s kinda risky, if something happens - you’ll loose everything completly or have to waste your time and nerves to restore the info (if possible). On the other hand - maybe you don’t have anything important to you :slight_smile:

Some important info, yes. But I can also back them up. I have something up my sleeve, but it’ll be !ot!. It’s not software risk I’m worried about, but rather hardware related.

Ah, glad that I could clarify. :slight_smile: Your conclusion is correct. And, as you may see, I’m not only interested in shrinking XP with nLite but also shrinking the C partition. Obviously I could cut off another 3 GB. ;D You partitions seems to be a nice layout as well.

…which makes you dependent on images as a backup solution, or an external HDD? I have neither.

Now we tend to go !ot! like so many times before.

LA

Now we tend to go Off-Topic! like so many times before.

But only tending to …

:THNK

Time to put your new OT of OT’s to good use, LA

Done, there were quite a lot of posts! :P0l

LA

So L.A’s. C partition is 2.8 GB. Cool ! Mine is 5.1 GB (Vista with quite a large pagefile). I consider it as a not bad achievment ;D

Do your math again. (:LGH)

BTW my page file is 512 MB.

LA

Yet, nothing comparable to a win95 system partition.

LOL

:-[ :-[ :-[ It’s 1.8 ;D Even cooler ! :wink: Nothing can beat BIOS partition ;D

My pagefile is 2.3 GB :slight_smile: Do you think it’s too big ? :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to post at the “WTF are you listening to right now” thread, Commodus!

LOL

It is still leading (by means of popularity) at this moment:

MORPHOS REBOL’S WTF (i.e. what the f***) COMPARATIVES FOUNDATION STATISTICS:

12155 readers of Soya’s nlite (or, is it mine? or LA’s, or wtf? wtf!) thread.
12546 readers of REBOLS “wtf he’s listening to right now” thread.

LOL

(:TNG)

It’s recommended to have 1.5 times the RAM you have. If you’re a gamer, maybe you need much RAM. And not the least you can’t monitor your RAM usage when running full screen programs, so better have a large page file. I don’t use much RAM, unless I do some 3D modelling in Bryce. Then I’ll watch the RAM usage in Task Manager, and if necessary, increase the page file size.

:SMLR

LA

Thanx L.A. So I’ll keep my pagefile untouched :slight_smile:

Alright. Since we’re allowed to post anything !ot! here, I can get down to the blasted page file: mine is statically set at 400 MB. That provides sufficient overhead buffer for my maximum usage since I’m not a gamer.

About the 1.5x or 2x your RAM recommendation: that seems to only apply to PC’s with less RAM. For us 1+ Giggers, you can refer to Task Manager’s Peak Commit Charge. I’ve hard two warning alerts from XP before about lacking virtual memory when my file was small and I was playing a memory leaking game (just for a bit). Even then, it won’t crash the PC or whatever since it’ll just mean more of the physical RAM will be consumed.

PS: don’t bother asking me for the technical explanation/documentation as I only read that some time ago while googling for the “best” pagefile size.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Excuse me for starting this thread. I am out of here, Too Far OT for me.

Geday!!

That means you are not using a virtual page file???