RAM usage of this BRowser : is it a joke ? (version 31.1.0.0)

I don’t mind that my browser uses memory to good effect; Opera Presto uses RAM caching for fast and supple navigation between pages (especially when using Fast History Navigation (go back to a page as it is in cache without reloading it)).

A browser is a program that I use in the foreground a lot. What matters is that it release memory quickly when other applications need it.

Most popular browsers appear to do a great job a releasing memory when it is needed by another program or when the browser task is completed.
There is always an odd exception due to unforeseen circumstances or factors with the multitude of variables involved.

presently comodo dragon is using almost no memory. but slowing down my p.c. 1.69 mbps on speedtest.net…compared to i.e.6.96 mbps.
with all of the issues dragon has, I stopped using it until comodo releases a update . not bitter still using the suite just not dragon.

Speedtest is using a Flash application which may behave differently between browsers.

If you want to do a reliable speedtest donwload a 100Mb or 1Gb testfile from a test site from your country; preferably your ISP if it provides one.

I have no idea on where to find one,i am in usa

I am not from the USA. Just a little search using 'test server USA": TestMy.net Download Speed Test . You can choose size of test file and what server to use. Happy testing.

I agree EricJH, but this dragon is working exactly the same way on my laptop with 4GB ram and my station 8GB ram.
after sometime, this browser becomes just unusable. only solution is to exit it.
even if i let it run in the background and so it’s not used at all, this browser still grows in RAM and virtual memory.
I noticed on the 8GB machine that Dragon didnt use more than 4GB of ram. but even with 4GB free, the browser is lagging as hell.

I got ice dragon opened for like 2 days on my laptop and there’s absolutly no problem with it.
it uses now like 1.3GB of RAM, and the machine is running just fine. I can use anything as ice dragon is opened, 11 tabs loaded now, and 10% cpu usage as I read flash videos on youtube.

that’s just impossible with dragon. it starts to running mad too fast.*

update : I just noticed that i have 2 ice dragon running now ! I didnt see, the second icon in the taskbar, so there’s no comparaison with dragon !

Thanks a lot Tweak for your advice, but this solution is not what I want.
The Dragon code needs serious improvements, (the chromium code so), because It’s not possible to deal with a browser out of any control.
I used Chrome then Dragon for many years but now, it’s no more possible.
I can’t tell when the problems really begin on which version but it didnt work that bad in the past.

I really wonder what is causing this high memory usage.
I have an old test system with XP 384MB RAM, I admit IceDragon runs lighter but Chrome/Dragon is still usable on the mentioned system.

I have not just one idea. i tested in any mode.
Maybe I should clean up the dragon install and retry but as ice dragon is running perfectly and the fact that i had a fighting for weeks trying to fix this dragon, for the moment, i stop the researches about that.

Do you have extensions that are active when Dragon runs in the background? A way of trying to curb Dragon is to run it as a single process using command line switches: List of Chromium Command Line Switches « Peter Beverloo .

Do you know if this problem is typical or Dragon or does it also happen with Crome/Chromium?

Hi Eric,
Your idea is good, but it appears the availability of this switch has been removed from Dragon as it now breaks Dragon.
As far as I know the availability of this switch has also been removed from Chrome, although it may still be available in some of Chromiums developer versions.

Kind regards.

I tried without any extensions, without plugins, it doesnt change anything.
And yes it’s the same problem using Chrome.

greetings

ailef