[merged topic]CIS feedback

Melih said, Comodo will listen their users always. I hope so :wink:

Well probably only if many of the users are saying the same thing, if only one person asks for something then I don’t think it’s very likely to happen. =P (At least my request for alerts for the “Blocked” setting in BB has gone ignored, probably since I’m the only one that seems to care about it and hence I accept understand that it gets ignored)
Egemen (Did I spell that right? So tired) did however say in a thread that they would work on the summary screen so I hope that is true and also why we haven’t seen that monthly update yet…

I have to agree with those who did complain about the new V6 GUI : it just feels so… Lame, as of right now it’s the first polite word coming to my mind !

Let’s review it if you don’t mind :

• let’s open the main windows and ■■■■… Why the need for the big green circle and it’s check sign, as a few centimeters above it’s said (also in green) “Secure” ? And why, when I clic on that secure word (cursor change, so it might be a link of some sort) just nothing happens ?

• Why the need of that big squared “Sandbox…” thing ? On my 24" 1920 pixels, the main window just eats one third of my screen ? Do you really think that people keep the main window opened in order to drag 'n drop files on that button ? Come on…

• Why the “Game mode” button not set in the ribbon below in order to save place and be more logical, ergonomically speaking ?

• Who came to design and set the “Tasks” link in the upper right ? Parameters and options aren’t tasks, there are just parameters and options !!! And Bing (not that one), what are the “tasks” displayed, the one sitting in the ribbon on the main screen… Great design, really !!!
    Update, I only installed the firewall, why the hell do I see “update virus database” ? Don’t you guys know (I mean the developers) the meaning of variables ? Idem for “view quarantine”. And the winner is “open task manager”, because in it’s window, there are… no tasks !

• So, I clicked the “Scan” button…
    First thought, on a modern computer there are thousands of files and more when you have installed your favorite software. Is it really thoughtful to implement a window without any resinzing control when you’ll have to scroll through thousands of files, when the developpers offer you no more than a stamp sized viewing area ??
    Some time after come the information that my “average file age” is 26 months… Not bad for a fresh clean reinstall of my 7 ultimate x64 done the same day… What is the more relevant ? The day the file was created at Microsoft or the day it was created on my computer ?
    Then I ran through the details, stumbled upon some actions to do and found that all the files pertaining to my ATI radeon drivers were among that, letting me choose what to do about them, “no action” or “trust”. Surprisingly, if I open the advanced settings and go to file rating, I can see that ATI is a trusted vendor… Not bad !
    Then I got really bored to have to scroll in order to display 5 files at a time between 1510 ones, so I clicked “apply selected actions”. And voila… all the remaining files with a choice to make are marked “ignored”. So in order to do something about them I’ll have to re scan again. Nice process !!

Well, I’ll stop here, but a few remarks here :

• according to the Pareto principle and keeping in mind that, unfortunately, we live in a capitalistic world, full of products and their tree line, why not branch comodo firewall, one version for dumb people needing big ugly useless flashy interface and ■■■■■■ options and one for those who still want to use a good product without the hassle of running through clunky GUI ?

• I use Sysinternals/microsoft processexplorer and I can see it is logged every time it accesses the memory (even when it is marked trusted). Knowing that I launch it upon logging in my session, I’d rather not log anything about this process : saddly there is no way I can choose whether to do so or not. I know we have a lot of processing power in these days of ivy bridge, but why the need to throw some away (and the disk space) ?

And a question, where can I download the V5.x of comodo firewall as I was stupid enough to delete the ones I had upon downloading the V6 ?

PS: I forgot about one really annoying thing, don’t your developers know that windows has a particularity : the ability to remember the position of a window ???

Here : Comodo Internet Security 12.2.2.8012 Download for Windows / Old Versions / FileHorse.com

This is also the same issue I was experiencing with v6. I would notice that the entire computer would freeze when the Comodo firewall was asking me what I wanted to do. Also, I noticed that it no longer makes recommendations on the applications when you get the popups. I do consider myself technically savvy however I like to have a warm fuzzy that the checksum of the presented executable or module is, in fact, considered safe. I don’t like the program to make the decisions but I do want the program to at least give me some advice like with the v5 firewall.
By the way, only use HIPS and the Firewall- I don’t use A/V because there are better products out there on the market and I’m very concerned with rootkits.

Please fix the product and release a version that doesn’t feel like a beta version.

On another note, I do want to say thank you for allowing us to have such a powerful firewall product for free. Your app, according to Matousec.com, is one of the highest-ranking firewall products on the market! :-TU

Allways keep installers of “last state when it was fine” for any important program.

You can find old versions on filehippo. Use the mirror if it leads to the actual version instead. Make virus scans.

If comodo will stay like version6, and i would have to update for a specific missing function, i am going to use another firewall with hips that is good in those tests as well.

The people who use that are saying: If you come from using comodo, you will love this thing.

If version 6 was another vendors product, i would happily come back to comodo. With lots of stories :wink:

I’ll just put it as simply as I can. CIS 2013 or CIS6 is the first and only version ever released that I can recommend to every type of user. It certainly is the only one I would recommend, and have done so, to my family and friends.

+1, same here…

I have to agree, I feel more confident in recommending V6 over any other. :-TU
V6 has copped more flack than it has deserved IMO.
Yes it has some bugs and some functionality issues, but what software doesn’t?

Constructive criticism and personal opinions are very welcome and contribute greatly to creating better products for the future.
Sometimes the remarks go beyond what I have mentioned above and when this happens it could in fact have a negative effect on future development.

Thanks.

I freely confess that I too complained about the new GUI when v6 was first released. Now that I’ve had v6 running for some time I’ve started to appreciate the way that it works. Once I’m past that (still horrible) initial screen I’m finding the various menus and dialogs easy to understand and easy to navigate.

I like… :slight_smile:

… the taskbar thingy at the bottom of the main GUI screen, I like too that I can customise it (I’ve added links to each of the Advanced Settings pages).

… the Virtual Kiosk which I use for Dragon when accessing unknown websites etc.

… the easy way I can run applications fully virtualised all the time via the Sandbox.

I don’t like… >:(

… the GUI front page. It doesn’t tell me anything useful. I’d like an overview here like v5 did.

I would like… 88)

… an option to switch the GUI between basic and advanced. The GUI as is would be the basic choice, advanced would provide way more overview info on the front page and more real-time/overview info on the General/Firewall/Sandbox/Advanced pages behind it.

I do like v6 now though and I have no plans to revert to v5. Change is uncomfortable for everyone but you need to let v6 to grow on you before running back to the more familiar and comfortable v5. IMHO :slight_smile:

Thank you Comodo!

Hi ubuysa,
Thank you for the feedback, I do agree with the points you have made and especially anything new takes awhile to get use to. :-TU
The more I use it the better it feels.
Kind regards.

I disagree in this point, because to me it seems that CIS 6 has so many issues that it is more like a beta but far from being stable. But I stated the reasons why I uninstalled CIS 6 after three days and downgraded to 5.12 again in the sticky thread Comodo Forum
If someone is interested in what i have posted there:
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/why-did-you-uninstall-cis-please-help-us-improve-by-telling-us-why-t73410.0.html;msg666803#msg666803
Well, my final statement in that post might seem a little harsh, I notice now. Actually it wasn’t meant to.

I also have to say (for I’m new to the forum) that I like that there is a lot of feedback and discussion going on and very much hope that Comodo is making good use of it. Thus said, I guess some patches later CIS 6 will greatly mature. But at this point, in my humble opinion, based on the issues I stated in the above mentioned post, CIS 5.* is still far better regarding stability, clarity, reliability and the capability of controlling, monitoring and making the resulting information available.

Best regards
Erik G.

Not necessarily if the new stuff, in this case the interface, is superior in usability and ergonomics than the previous one.

One simple example, but there are others, where I find previous CIS versions UI superior to V 6 :

In V 5 and previous, to switch Defense + security level : right click tray icon, hover to Defense + and choose the desired security level. Switch done.

In V 6 : right click CIS icon in taskbar (if user has previously pinned it to Windows taskbar) > click on Advanced Settings (if user has previously pinned it to CIS taskbar) > click on Security Settings > click on Defense + > click on HIPS > click on HIPS settings > Choose security level of HIPS > click on OK

So for simply switching the security level of Defense + (aka HIPS in V 6) it now requires 8 clicks instead of 2 in V 5 and previous.

Personally I have a reversed experience than that of which ubuysa had.

I went in giving the GUI in CIS 6 a proper chance and actually started out liking it, however after the hours passed the GUI became more and more of an eye sore and the hidden away settings are just annoying when trying to change just something small.

With CIS 5.12 I would recommend it to more advanced users who actually gives a ■■■■ about customizing their security suit to actually fit them while also giving a good security, however I wouldn’t recommend it to the average computer user without having to go trough a lecture first.

With CIS 6 I can recommend it to the average computer user without having to go trough too long of a lecture on the software, however I would never recommend CIS 6 over CIS 5.12 for advanced user since CIS 6 has such a bad interface and it would cause them to doubt me, I’m even doubting myself when I’m using CIS 6 because it feels like I’m looking at a Toy and while I know CIS 6 will protect me, it causes something in my head to ask “Is this thing really going to protect me?” and that is caused only because of the user interface.

I can’t wait to see what they are doing with the summary screen, but if CIS 6.x never gets a new “theme” that actually makes it less of an eye sore and makes the user interface easier to actually use (less hidden settings etc) (I don’t mean immediately but rather if it never develops into that direction and instead keeps going in the same direction they went from 5.12 to 6) then I will probably go back to CIS 5.12.

One of the bigger reasons I chose to even try CIS was because it looked more like something for the advanced user in contrast to most other security suits that I had looked at which looked like they were focusing on just the average computer user. And after trying CIS I did see that it was for a bit more advanced users and I liked it that way, but now Comodo has decided to go after the average computer user just like most other companies, then what is left for us more advanced users that can’t stand looking at a user interface that could be on a toy security simulator for a child? This is a serious question, what other security suits do actually focus on the more advanced user? I do want to know because if Comodo continues down this path I will either have to move to outdated software or to a security suit that still focuses on advanced user but Comodo was the only security suit I know of that used to do this so then the only two choices left (if no one else knows of a security suit that focuses on advanced users) is to either stick with outdated software which isn’t really a good idea when it comes to security, or move over to Linux.

Of course these are just my opinions.

Hi Boris 3,
I agree that the functionality of the right click menu and GUI is lacking compared to previous versions.
Apart from currently lacking some functionality, IMO V6 has a much better starting point to add to and create a better product in the future.
The GUI and the product in general has great potential and in time this potential will be brought to reality.

I am sure that our voting for right click options and a functional summary screen among other wishes are not falling on deaf ears. :wink:

Kind regards.

Edit: SanyaIV hang in there, time will give a happy medium IMO. :slight_smile:

That’s what I’m hoping for but it all depends on where Comodo wants to take CIS.

All the common settings can be added to the desktop widget or the taskbar so i dont see what issue there is here in regards to finding settings. >:-D

Comodo with version 6 are obviously heading more for virtualization and this is the future for true malware prevention.
Before we had detection and prevention but not its virtualization and they have taken the first step in this direction with the kiosk etc.

Sorry if I was being unclear, I meant with the user interface and how CIS interacts with the user, not the actual protection CIS gives.

Though I’m going to give my opinions about default virtualization here:

Personally I wouldn’t like for CIS to work in that way on my computer, well it could work like that in default settings but I still want to be able to change how CIS works. And by how it works I mean default-virtualize unknown things.

If something which is unknown to CIS is trying to run on my computer, then I would like to know what is trying to run and see whether I know it myself or if it’s unknown to me too. If it is something I know and trust then I would let it run outside of the sandbox, if it is something I know and don’t trust then I would block it, if it is something I don’t know (which also implies don’t trust) then I would also block it.
As you see, here I don’t have any use for the default-virtualize because if I want it to run then I let it do so outside of the sandbox and if I don’t want it to run… then why even let it run in the sandbox?

Default-virtualize seems to be a compromise of Default-Allow and Default-Deny. Whereas default-allow is never recommended since it could allow pretty much any unknown malware, and default-deny is sometimes too intrusive and hard to handle for less experienced users. So yes indeed default-virtualization is something great for security and much easier for less experienced users that don’t know what kind of programs to allow or not, but for me personally it’s just not something I find useful (again, useful for ME)

So while I agree that virtualization is the future for the program, I would still like to be able to enforce default-deny policy since that is better for me personally. Something I would like to see is an option (it could be disabled by default, doesn’t matter to me) that gives you an alert asking you what to do whenever something unknown is trying to run, the options to choose would be something like “Sandbox”, “Allow” and “Block”. Sandbox would then go to which level for example Untrusted, Allow would give you options to also add the file to the trusted files and then Block which would give you the option to also Block and Terminate. Of course it should also have the “Remember my answer” check-box.

That’s not to say that I wouldn’t use virtualization, in fact I run my browser virtualized, I just don’t want auto-virtualization.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.