Is the AntiVirus biggest fraud in the security world?

that is the problem with AV industry.

Anti Virus product is like a detergent… it can clean some of the dirt… but cannot keep your pants clean! Its a reactive technology.

An AV cannot keep a Clean PC Clean! But the marketing from AV companies says it can, which is at best misleading imo.

Melih

…"An Anti Virus product cannot guarantee that a clean computer can stay clean!

So why do we buy these products then or they get bundled with our computers when we buy them?"…

A: For the same reason we buy detergent to clean-up a plate (or maybe the blog’s author eat in dirt dishes) ;D

I never liked AV too, but I have a good sense and D+ enabled :-TU

I think this question can not be answered so easily or maybe never, but
what it is important is how much we are involved in this industry. In
other words, on what we spend our money and and how much the product we
choose is what we wanted?

What we really want? Protection in the way wich a completely unknown
malware is prevented from accessing our computer! As long as I bought
a product which provides computer protection (at least that is trying
to be convinced by the ads market!) but my computer was infected, I do
not think I gave the money on what I really wanted. It does not seem
normal to pay a product that improves his detection rate by infecting
my computer or others around the world! But these products claim to
ensure protection of ours computers…

In reality, I think that our choice when buying a internet security
suite make this industry to be more prosperous in circumstances where
the threat of the malwares is in a permanent increase and becoming
more aggressive! How much is the growing aggressiveness of the malwares
even more buying we products with the highest protection ratings although
we will never be protected against newest malwares! I think the best
decision are the products based on prevention technologies because only
they are able to prevent the infections (not to detect!) of the newest
malwares!

This is one really interesting subject to talk about as it has a great impact on everyone who own or use computers all over the world.

From my own personal point of view…Why they doing it, it’s quite simple.

To make companies running they always need an economical engine (similar like the antivirus), the only difference is that these malwares are the customers wallets and opinions :wink:
Without income and outcome (like the firewall) probably their business will stand still sooner or later. And their “browser” should’nt run as expected…

Edit:
Another funny phenomen why things has the ability to follow in the same footsteps and why we imagine and believe that we shall have “protection” from Antivirus solutions. It is only a big concequence that we watching each others back and make copycats from what we having around us. It looks the same on a personal level as it looks like between companies on the big market. When I wrote “opinions” above, it is sort of included in this complex context together with economic marketing strategies and old traditions.

So in simple terms, it’s all about money and ofcourse advertisement for make the product floating and impressive in all the customers eyes. If it loose shares on the market - they out of the game.

I agree completely with Melih that it should be harder controol in this field of what might be ok to promise all those who read the advertisement testimonials and so on for the AV product.
Unfortunately I’m afraid it will take ages before the industry or our goverments find the strength to find something concrete in the matter. Still Internet it’s a kind of new zoone which has’nt found a 100% regulated protection in the name of law for you & me. It’s like an invention which became made from a basic idea and as time go by we will discover more and more needs for it to run and succeed properly to work better in the real world.
There is one good solution on this dilemma and it is to tell these companies that we do not accept it! Another is to spread new influences/inspiration and knowledge from new thinking and new different inventions.

If seeing something, let them hear it through both ears please!
Don’t be silent.

Must mention also that it is beautiful to see how much Comodo cares about peoples and all it’s users/customers security and wellbeing at Internet. It’s a great impressive responsibility that Comodo as a vendor shows us here and also unvaluable in a longer perspective for the whole world // a good hallmark on a winner.
A very important work!
Thanks Melih & everyone at Comodo.

First let me say that I love this CEO corner thing. It is very nice of you to want to interact with the community.
End of Off-topic

Well it does not clarifies it deceives! If you get infected with malware theres a high chance that you no longer can acess Comodo live support! Since your computer will be compromised, so just like any other COMODO can and ill fail to track and destroy. And even so it does not fail to destroy due to live support it ill fail to track since the user ill have to contac live support and say “hey I am infected” so we can assume the user tracked it not Comodo.
It was very nice of you to point out other companys desonest marketing strategies, but IMHO COMODO follows the same strategy but in a less agrassive way. Honest marketing strategies are on low supply now a days!

Melih I would like to see CIS tested by independent AV labs. Is this in the works soon?

I used to pay for antivirus software until I realized there were so many free ones available. I won’t consider it fraud until they can coax money out of me, which will never happen. :wink:

I like to think of antivirus as the door man who checks the list before letting you in. If you’re on the list, you won’t be let in. A blacklist is ineffective because a sneak might not be on the list. A whitelist is also ineffective because a sneaky person could be mistakenly put on it or maybe they have malicious intentions are not known at the time.

A HIPS is like the bouncer inside. Yeah, the door man let you in, but as soon as you try something stupid, the bouncer will throw you out the door. LOL

But the problem here is that the bouncer has to know what types of behavior to watch out for. The sneak always has new tricks up his sleeve and it’s important that if the door man lets him in, the bouncer has to know every trick the sneak has up his sleeve so he won’t get fooled.

Second part of the problem is that in order for the bouncer to prevent new unknown problems, he has to be analyzing every behavior of the sneak, not just the behaviors that he knows will result in known problems. How will the bouncer know what to look for, then? He won’t! He only knows to look for known behaviors that will result in known problems. He can analyze EVERY SINGLE behavior but until an attack already happens he won’t know what behaviors to block.

Thirdly, if a new type of attack happens based on a behavior that didn’t alert the bouncer in the first place, the bouncer has failed miserably.

Antivirus industry in general has failed the computer community in that it is not able to collectively protect users as a whole!

What we need then is not separate antivirus vendors competing with each other, providing different signatures, but a single collection of ALL known malware in existence. That’s a start and is the ONLY way antivirus can ever protect the computer community as a whole.

Antivirus=door man
HIPS=bouncer

There is a thread about this here:
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-really-should-let-avcomparatives-test-their-av-t60099.0.html
Basically, Panic has stated that AV Comparatives will be testing CIS in their next round of tests.

don’t go along the lines of the bad guys only have to right 1 time but we gotta be right all the time every time

Indeed, that’s the problem. With heuristics, generic signatures and behavior analysis they can reduce the problem. But it will always be there for a legacy antivirus.

This will never happen. AV vendors are no different than businesses in any other field where competition drives the marketplace. For all AV’s to use the same signatures would mean that they also had to use the same engine. Developing the best engine and most up to date signature database is at the core of development and competition and to ensure competitive advantages, elements of the software have to be kept proprietary and secret. A vendor does not want their AV signatures to be usable by anyone else. Just look at the lawsuit Malwarebytes filed against IObit. If all AV’s were the same, there would be no competition and then there would probably eventually be antitrust issues.

In this perspective, what do you think on this thread?
Why did it just dye?

https://forums.comodo.com/antivirus-help-cis/comodo-anti-virus-true-t59169.0.html;msg417986#msg417986

its not about using same signatures…
its about sharing malware in realtime…

by not sharing malware in realtime, av companies gain detection %age advantage and use that in their marketing.

So in order for the AV company to have a marketing differentiation, other users must suffer. this seems wrong.

Melih… Why did you don’t release a list of the av companies that share malware each other with Comodo? Why did you just let that thread dye?

everyone shares…but sharing an old virus is different than creating a “clearing house” in which malware can be shared in real time.

Melih. Many thanks for this info. It answers my previous doubts.
I’ve thought that the majority of the av companies should have doing that but, like you’ve said, with old malware. The new ones remain as marketing/sales “advantage”.

Hope we can help with uploading samples to Comodo.
Hope that CCS collects more data.
Hope we can discover new honeypots to inform Comodo.
Hope we can make CIS better (somehow, together).

Just wanted to say been on here for 30 minutes now and still have’nt found out how to get a simple security question posted or answered! This site is rediculous.

What do you mean?
You didn’t ask anything, what are we supposed to answer?

First conclusion is that you can post.

This is a big site and can be intimidating when first entering it. What is your question? Is it a general question or a question about one of the programs?

By “sharing malware in realtime” do you mean through using a cloud-based antivirus?