Is it possible? Hope so!

So, my doubt is as follows. I bought Windows Vista Ultimate Edition retail (both x86 and x64). :slight_smile: I made a copy of it to a ISO file, but when I checked the size, heck! More than 5.95GB! I want to burn the ISO to a DVD to save it as a copy and use this one for my virtual machines, so that the original DVD won’t get ■■■■■■■ for using it a lot. I don’t have much space on disk to let it there. Also, the more occupied disk, slower the system will become, because it will loose some stability.

Is it possible to burn a 5.95GB ISO to a 4.72GB DVD? I know there are 8GB DVDs, but they’re expensive. Or if not possible to burn in a 4.72GB, would it then be possible to burn it in 2 4.72 DVDs? And would Windows still install normal and would it ask for the 2nd DVD to proceed with installation?

I tried to find some info on google by writing 5.95GB to 4.72GB, but nothing.

Hope you folks can help me out. Thanks

Best regards

You could vLite the ISO down a bit…

Great suggestion! Totally forgot about that amazing tool! How did I forget about it?!

Lame, I know… :smiley:

Yes, I will take off some uneeded features and that examples of images and all that! All uneeded!

Thanks very much for remembering me such tool! (I take back the cactus and rope! You know what mean! :smiley: )

Once again, thanks.

Best regards

I guess the only way would be to remove some packages and build a custom made image although I’m inclined to assume it will be a difficult taks.
vLite shrinks the size of Windows Vista to 10% provide info about custom made Vista CD/DVD.

There should also be some way to create a mirror image of your current installation and run them in the VM.
eg:
How to create a Virtual PC hard disk image by using a backup disk image file
Converting Image Files into Virtual Machine Disks [PDF]

Users who got Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium should be aware that Vista EULA forbids virtualization for these versions.

Thanks for that info. I’m going to take a look at it. Appreciate it.

Hmmm… this thought just crossed my mind. The DVD I bought, as I said, as both x86 and x64 versions, so I was wondering (maybe just my craziness), if would be possible to split the x86 versions from the x64 and then create 2 ISO file with each versions, then burn into 2 DVDs? Sounds crazy? Maybe… :smiley:

Does that mean I can’t have Vista running in a VM on another OS, or I can’t have Vista on a VM that is in Vista? :-\

I guess, this means that if you have a Vista release whose EULA forbid virtualization you’ll possibly cause your licence to be blacklisted once you use the same licence to activate the Vista running in the VM.

EDIT: it looks like that even buying a new licence it is not possible at all to run Vista Home and Home Premium in a VM. Also it looks like users of Vista Business and Vista Ultimate have to choose beween running Vista on the VM OR using it directly on the licensed device. It looks like users are not allowed to run Vista Business and Vista Ultimate both directly AND on a VM.
For more info: Windows Vista virtualization licensing terms

It looks like there are specific licencs more suited for VMs.
Licensing Windows Vista for Use with Virtual Machine Technologies September 2007

[i]There are however a couple of things that you might want to know. It’s true that Vista Home and Home Premium can not be installed in virtual machines. The specific text reads:[/i]

USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

Sorry, I don’t know much about this nor I can invite you to test it and report back for the sake of information.

IIRC moths ago I read an article with pictures that described what is likely to happen. If I manage to find it again I’ll post a link here.

I should stop testing malware in my VM then? :cry:

I guess you could buy a windows OS with a compatibe EULA and continue to pursue your researches. ;D

I’m not sure if it will suit your needs but you may consider testing a ReacOs image.

I presume you mean this for all version
Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. You may not use the software on any other device.
So it appears you can have only Vista Ultimate for VM only.
Dennis

If Comodo will buy it for me, of course. ;D (:AGL)

From what I understood Vista Home and Home Premium can be only installed directly and it is forbidden to install them on a VM whereas Vista Business and Ultimate can be installed either directily or on an a VM (one licence = one installation regardless if a VM is involved).

If an user has already activated his copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate he has to buy another licence to install it on a VM.

I invite everybody to remember: