Improved detection.

I think that it would be usefull, if comodo scans the registry and removes any references to infected files. Also it would be great if it detects threats such as tracking cookies.

Tracking cookies are completely harmless, detecting them would be bloating the database :wink:

I’m not sure if CIS already features the other things you mentioned, I thought it did?

Beanie :slight_smile:

CIS AV is also an antispyware, according to Melih. So, I think it should be called antimalware instead of antivirus.

As an antimalware, it should take care of tracking cookies, traces and many other things, as many antispyware (v.g., a-Squared) does.

But MBAM and SAS don’t - cookies I mean :wink:

I agree, it should be renamed to Comodo Anti-Malware.

Also, leaving old malware entries in the registry can be beneficial. Some malware checks the registry to see if its keys are located there. If they are, it won’t bother reinfecting your PC, so if the old (harmless) keys are there, it won’t infect you. :wink:

This has been suggested, and it has been decided to keep the original name, COMODO Anti-Virus Spyware (CAVS).

I agree: I like “Comodo AntiMalware”…but see this post by Melih in which he states it will likely remain “Antivirus.”

And is CIS like the majority of other products? No, it’s better! ;D

Anyway, most of the really good standalone software out there uses AM instead of AV - Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, a-squared Anti-Malware.

The products name should say what the product is, and with Comodo AntiVirus Spyware as the current name (and the one that seems to be staying), it doesn’t say exactly what it detects. If you want to take that approach, then it would have to be renamed to Comodo AntiVirus Spyware Adware Trojan Rootkit Worm Keylogger Dialer etc etc

Malware is the generic term for all of these, so why not make it obvious what the product does?

But, ah well, if Melih thinks it’s for the best, then it probably is :slight_smile:

Regards,

I think because most novices are accustomed to “Antivirus” (e.g. Norton, McAfee, etc), rather than “Anti-Malware”. They might think they are two different things. :wink:

In my practice I have never seen malware, which cheks for it’s registry keys and do nothing when they are there. If the bad program has the ability to reinstall itself, it will check all the registry keys as well as the files and will restore everything that is missing. Registry scaning and tracking cookies handling are crucial.

So you’ve tested every piece of malware out there to date? I never said it was common, just possible. Having cookie handling and registry scanning would be a great addition, but I don’t believe it is crucial.

Testing and removing malware is my job for years. Every peace of malware that have the ability to reinstall itself. looks for it’s files first (if not all of it’s components are removed properly) and then it looks for it’s registry keys. Removing traces is crucial for the proper removal of malware and for the performance of windows. Unexisting components registered in system processes are leading to problems.

Sounds reasonable, but I don’t want them!

:-TU Remove reg entries
:-TD Remove cookies

I see no reason CIS should implement cookie scans.

I also have no clue why ppl are making such big deal out of stupid cookies.
So they can track how often you visit certain websites. Big deal. Otherwise tehy couldn’t be any more harmless than they are.

Even the sites you visit is private information. Some people consider tracking cookies as spyware and invasion of their privacy. Just because you want that information to be transfered doesn’t mean that tracking cokies are harmless.

But they are harmless… If you’re worried about being tracked, you should stay off the internet. Even without cookies, you are logged everywhere you go…

I agree that tracking cookies are not a big problem. Creating signatures for all of these would be unnecessary bloat.

I thought that Comodo System Cleaner already removes malicious registry entries. Does anyone know if this functionality (if it exists) will eventually be incorporated into CIS.