DISAPPOINTMENT with COMODO

Dear Melih,

I appreciate having the note. I am still pursuing a solution orientation. Perhaps the hooks as I have been experiencing, had remained in your system even though you uninstalled CSE at one point in the process.

Regarding the Outlook problem solely, and the Microsoft upgrade, I am sure that you will understand when I say that it does not take much to break Outlook; for Outlook all by itself has been able to break Outlook. Therefore CSE does not even have to be involved there.

But, thank you for sharing your thoughts, and your experiences. Even as I joke about it all, I realize that nothing is funny here. It may be informative for all of us to remember that information technology is supposed to save time and make us more productive, not the other way around.

I do really hope that your stricken Outlook machines are able to recover, as I continue to hope that my machine can be brought back from its ailing state as well

Thanks, Melih.

I’ve re-read everything now and I’m wondering, have you ever tried System restore? If not, please try this and go as far as you can back. It could fix it …

Anyway, as you have the Comodo attention now, I’ll be just checking around and see if the solution pops up. I’ll stay in the background in the meantime.

Xan

The guys are still investigating the probable cause… Bear with Comodo. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

Hi The Ox

I’m sorry to hear you had some thunderbird problems when you installed Comodo SecureEmail. Our deepest apologies for the problems you have encountered.

It seems also that for a reason we do not yet know, that you have had a failed uninstall also, possible due to a incorrect network registry configuration.

Btw - I am in the UK so differences in timezones do apply.

Neither of these issues appeared in our testing and beta testing or in our many other users. As you can imagine it is not theoretically possible to simulate the environment of each and every desktop PC no matter how hard we try to simulate the real world environment. Real world PCs can have any number of applications installed and uninstalled over a long period of time and even though we follow all the rules, unfortunately some problems can occur for a few users. This does not however mean we will not try to resolve your problems, quite the opposite, we’ll put 100% effort into finding and fixing the problem you encountered with the software (if you wish) and/or correcting your existing issue. I’ve ask a developer to contact you regarding this.

Comodo SecureEmail is a one size fits all solution for POP/SMTP/IMAP. To support as many e-mail clients as possible Comodo SecureEmail uses Microsoft’s Winsock 2 Layered Service Provider Interface (not a hook, but a standard network stack extension system used in the windows network stack for a long time now) and encrypt/signs/decrypts e-mails at the network level, rather than a specific client plug-in, which limits the user of Comodo SecureEmail to only a very very few e-mail clients. If you wish to understand more about Layered Service Providers please see this article: (http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0599/LayeredService/LayeredService.aspx)

Many other third party organisations also use LSPs to execute network stack monitoring (such as Antivirus or Antispam) to intercept and analyse data on a global application basis. Simply deleting an LSP from a network (by deleting registry entries) may result in an unstable system which will probably crash and should not be carried out under any circumstances.

Sometimes if one previous LSP has been removed incorrectly, for example by a spyware registry cleaner such as Spybot –which I notice you have- the correct links for LSPs up and down the chain may be broken and/or the registry may not be in a corrupt or correct state. Spyware applications often remove programs in a brutal manner and do not put back correct linkages which can leave a system unstable. The installation of subsequent LSPs may result in an unstable network system.

It is possible to restore you Winsock2 configuration fairly simply, however if other applications such as Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware are installed and use an LSP you may need to re-install them in order for them to work correctly. Please see the following article.

• WARNING: Care should be taken when editing the registry manually, please read the Microsoft instructions fully before fixing Winsock2.

“How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista”

The crux of the article is to execute the following at a command prompt and reboot:

netsh winsock reset

I sincerely hope this solves your problems. If you need more assistance, please post again and we’ll endeavour to assist.

Kind Regards,
Shane. :SMLR

Great post Shane!

Hi The Ox,

Shane and I spoke about this first thing today and as he mentioned above, he has in fact sent it over to his dev team.

Xan: Just as a matter of question, I wish for you to know that this was one of the first things I attempted to do.

Thanks.

Dear Shane:

I want to extend my thanks to you for the kind email. I appreciate getting it, and wish to THANK YOU and others at/associated with Comodo for all the wonderful assistance. I wish to apologize for my frustrations regarding this matter. I am more GENERALLY familiar with LSP interfacings but, NOT specifically in this case. That is why I had asked the question last night (my time), if anyone had any ideas into that. Of course, I would not attempt to remove LSP ties arbitrarily. That would be foolish. But, if you look into the registry screenshot, which I had attached, there are a number of COMODO specific LSP ties, please see: Comodo Forum .

The question that I had was, how does one remove these and not suffer consequences that are negative? Of course, this is what others are thinking about I am sure.

I Understand. Thank you for this information. It is very useful and helpful.

I will give this a whirl, and will get back with you in a bit. Thank you for suggesting this. I hope that this will restore issues. The Comodo specific LSP issue is nagging in the back of my head. If you should find out anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks… I will let you know what impact, if any this has on the system.

Ox.

Dear AVakil,

Thank you for the post informing me about your conversation with Shane.

Kind regards,
Ox.

** WELL ON THE WAY TO A RESOLVE **

Hello Melih, Shane, Xan, Ewen, AVakil, VetteTech… everybody… (:WAV)

Shane’s post regarding a Winsock repair seems to have done something significant. I note now that spawnings in C:\Documents and Settings\ … \Application Data\Comodo\SecureEmail\Logs … see here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25622.0;attach=18796;image
have stopped. Disk access/utilization has come down significantly, and system performance has jumped upward.

So in the overall, this seems to be a good result. I have not had time to reanalyze the registry for Comodo specific leftovers, as I have had little time. Technically, I should be doing something else now. ;D

Anyway, I wanted to report on this progress as soon as I had a chance. Thank you all! I hope that this takes care of the problem. I do not know what the short-term/long-term impact is. However, the improvement in performance at this point is very noticeable, and appreciated.

Cheers! :■■■■
Ox.

Great news !!!

I’m glad that the Comodo Team could fix it, and hope you won’t have any problems any more :slight_smile:

(CLY) (V) (S) (R) (M) (J) (B)

Xan

Very good news The Ox!! :slight_smile:

Well done Shane & Team, and other contributors!! We really do have the best R&D team, and support forum with dedicated members! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

I have been very frustrated also because I was not receiving administrator emails. I removed Comodo but lost my internet connection so reinstalled it. Contacted my ISP and we set up another email account (the proper way) and now I can receive administrator emails. And if it was Comodo that changed the email account, it now leaves it alone on reboot. So I will keep Comodo because it seems to work fine. Didn’t really see anywhere to post in this forum questions about this problem but glad you posted here.

Hello Michelle4000,

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly. You seem to suggest that you stopped receiving ONE KIND of email (administrator) but, maybe other types of email were working. At least that is what I seem to be interpreting from your email. I was having a specific problem with Comodo’s SecureEmail. Comodo’s CFP worked well in my opinion. Perhaps a little intensive on disk access, but, still worked well.

Also, I am not sure if I am following your comment regarding setting up another email account ‘the proper way.’ If there is anything that needs to be done, I am certain the wonderful people here can lend a hand.

So, please post very specifically about any problems that you are having such that they can troubleshoot it for you. Happy to be of assistance in anyway that I can, also.

Kind regards, (:WAV)
Ox.