CPF Wishlist Rev 3

I think the main wish in this aspect is more or less CPF having a dedicated tray icon and not depending on the Launch Pad. If it were to show network traffic, it would be nice to have a simple option to enable/disable this feature as some people go for hardcore resource limitations.

Hello all.

I would like to congratulate and thank the Comodo group for their generosity of spirit in giving all internet surfers the possibility to safeguard our computers with a first class, commercial strength firewall, at no charge whatsoever. I consider what the Comodo people are doing as an act of true greatness.

I would also like to take the opportunity of expressing a small wish for the great Comodo firewall, as follows:

Specifically, I would like to see the Comodo group put out two distinct freeware firewalls:

One of these would be a direct development of the current beta versions of CPF and it would continue to have the general layout and features that the present beta versions of CPF have. This firewall would continue to operate at two separate levels, namely an application filtering level and a network filtering level, making it possible for advanced users to configure complex application and network monitor rules, which would suit their varying purposes. Let us refer to this proposed version of CPF as the ā€œfull versionā€ , which would be targetted at advanced users who are comfortable with the intricacies of the TCP/IP stack and who can easily set and troubleshoot the various IP address and port ranges that must be configured in the network monitor to suit specific purposes.

The second type of firewall that I would like to see Comodo put out would be a much simpler, application-centric firewall, which would be virtually identical in its layout and operation to the free version of Zone Alarm. This firewall would not require any network monitor rules to be configured and it would be ideal for novices, as it would be sufficient for users of this firewall to simply give outbound and/or server rights to individual applications, without having to worry about setting IP address and port ranges. Just as all basic networking rules are already pre-configured in Zone Alarm Free, so it would also be the case with the proposed ā€œSimple versionā€ of CPF, making it extremely easy for novices to use. Of course, even this ā€œsimpler, kinder, gentlerā€ version of Comodo firewall would still possess the ability to pass a multitude of leak tests, just as the ā€œfull versionā€ of CPF can do. So, what I am really suggesting is that, for the benefit of novices, it would be nice to have a simple to use, application-centric firewall which could pass virtually all leak tests - in other words, this would be like a Zone Alarm Free firewall with extreme leak test resistance built in. (Zone Alarm Free is extremely convenient and easy to configure and use and produces perfect stealth, but it suffers from its inability to pass sophisticated leak tests involving process injection etcā€¦ So, a simple, application-centric version of CPF, similar to Zone Alarm Free in its functionality, simplicity and layout, which could also pass many, if not all, leak tests, would be the perfect alternative to Zone Alarm Free for virtually all novice users, who find the prospect of having to configure complex network rules for individual purposes a daunting task.).

So, advanced users of CPF could use the ā€œfull versionā€ of the firewall, whereas novice users would have the option of using the ā€œsimple versionā€ of CPF, which would still give them great protection against leak tests.

I hope that what I have suggested above might prove practicable (this would be directly dependent on how much programming time the developers of CPF have available to them in the near future, I suppose.).

Once again, I thank the Comodo group for all their kind, selfless efforts.

(P.S. I would also like to see an option not to install the launchpad implemented in all versions of the Comodo firewall.).

Regards.

Hello, and thatā€™s quite the post, nicely done! I do want to point out though, Comodo does in fact make it easy to configure as when you install, it will have the option for automatic configuration and sets up very quickly and easily. Once set, it runs much like ZA and in fact only pops up a message once in a while. I installed it this way and never touched it again , as far as settings go, and it passes leak tests fine. If this is in fact what you mean later in your post. Just thought I would let you know. :wink:

Take care,

Paul

Not sure if this has already been requested or not.

Optionally Automatic rule grouping (of the same process and when applicable), but there was also the option to select multiple rules (under the same group) and merge them automatically with the click of a buttonā€¦

Oops. I gave a number of suggestions/wishlist items/bugfixes in a posting to the ā€œWhat do you think of Comodo and how would you improve it?ā€ thread.

Rather than duplicate, Iā€™ll just mention itā€™s over there for the reading :wink:

blessings,
MrPete

There you go :smiley:

Also, a few of them have been suggested already, but itā€™s nice to see support ;D

Hello.
It seems my search for a good yet free firewall is over. (V) (:CLP)
IĀ“m just missing an option to set scheduling for rules. Maybe it has already been requested, or iĀ“m just too newbie with the firewall, but i canĀ“t seem to find anything like. So itĀ“s worth the request if it hasnĀ“t been implemented :slight_smile:
Congrats! keep up the good work!

PS1:
I hope a password protection for firewall settings/config change will be added soon.

PS2:
I notice the firewall can be terminated by a user (even with no administrative privileges). I strongly suggest a termination-by-user protection.
Would be great if the FW could run as a service, because this way protection would be there even if no user is logged. Also users with no administrative privileges cannot terminate services.

Thank you a lot!

People ask for new features, etcā€¦

What I think the next version should have is:

Do whatever is possible to make it less of a memory hog
and
Fix all the known bugs and glitches, rather than adding new features (that only mean more new bugs that are needed to be fixed).

Makes sense to me. O_o

Hi,

The next version will have a massive memory reduction, some new settings, and more security. The current beta currently has some of these, and a new beta this Thursday adds even more with even further memory reduction. This will be a stable release (hopefully) in about two weeks. :wink:

Mike

As you can see by my post here, I really found Comodo to be great. Since Sygateā€™s death, Iā€™ve been testing firewalls on a daily basis and itā€™s the first time I found a FREE firewall that is as good or EVEN BETTER than fancy famous firewalls like ZA and Norton.

I honestly canā€™t wait for a lighter and less glitchy release. What do you know, I installed it, set up everything thanks to the very clear FAQs and was happy, had some little problems here and there. Once I rebooted, I got some errors that it canā€™t start and requires reinstallationā€¦ Things like that make me sad.

Ok, sounds like itā€™s an error with Installshield. Comodo have had quite a few problems with this and decided to build there own installer - which you can use if you tried the beta version. If you want to try the beta and see if this solves your issues, although the updater doesnā€™t work for the beta and will require a re-install to install the next version. If you would rather wait until a stable release the beta will be a stable release in about two weeks (version 2.3.?.?).

Mike

I shall wait two weeks. (:WIN)

I have a feeling that the next non-beta build is going to kick ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Ok cool. All Comodo products will soon be doing this :wink: ;D.

Mike

Hi,

I had a great idea (or at least I think it is) for the Comodo firewall. Having gone through many posts in this forum regarding CPF, may I suggest this to be in Comodo wishlist:

An option to allow all connections (inbound and outbound) for a particular program, regardless of the parent application.

I know this is a security compromise but I think by having this option in the Advanced section of the CPF, I think this will save people with a lot of trouble. Now, I understand that this will allow any program to access the Intenet by hijacking the application that was granted full access. However, there are times where some want to play online games but have problems due to CPF. They can then just click that option (possibly Comodo could include how long this option is valid) and get on with their game. After finishing their game, they can set that unset that option or could just leave it as Comodo will set it back after a period of time (depending on the setting).

I think this is a good move that could solve many problems, such as applications that have their signature changed frequently or online gaming application. Comodo could also issue a warning to users everytime they use this option. I donā€™t think any other firewall have this option yet.

What do you think, people?

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Just to note, I have been using the Beta version with absolutely no gliches at all.(so far) I am starting to feel left out here. I havenā€™t had any issues with any Comodo products and I see others do, so when it comes time to help others with issues, iā€™m like, duh, have no idea. lol. Perhaps Comodo should make worse products so I can get a darn issue. No instead, day after day, I sit here with no problems at all. Gee , thanks alot comodo! :wink:

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. Although joking a bit, there is some truth to this, I canā€™t ever help people since I never run into these issues. Except for some basic help of course.

Just a question:

All the entries that are on the wishlist will be implemented?

I asume that any entry on the wishlist that isnā€™t dumb and will actually help Comodoā€™s softwares climb another stair in the industry of online security will be implemented, sooner or later; hopefully sooner. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the same idea, but itā€™s only to confirm :slight_smile:

Apoligies if this has already been mentioned (too much information to read) :). Within the launch pad, it would nice for all the components (i.e firewall, antivirus, etc) to have a standard layout. Say exit and help at the bottom and open component at the top. Not a major problem (only visual) but nicer all the same.

:slight_smile:

yep!

Melih